Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks -

I finally, after many ebay battles, have acquired an Insight, and I decided to add a few things right away.

I've seen the threads on Husco armrests, and decided to order one. I followed a link to their website, and found a message indicating that, as of August 12, they've closed down the business. They do apparently still have old inventory to sell, and I managed, I hope, to order one, but if you've been thinking about it, now's definitely the time. - Pat

·
Registered
340 Posts
I sure do like my J.C. Whitney armrest for $40. I had to modify the mount a little (shorten it) and install the mount backwards on the armrest, but it has storage in it and I didn't drill any holes in the stock console thingy. I used the two screws at the back and bought a piece of all thread and a couple of acorn nuts which rest on top of the console towards the front. I put a piece of plastic tubing on the all thread and it works nicely.
robert

·
Registered
468 Posts
Any chance you could quote a part number or maybe even a link to the armrest on JC Whitney's web site? I just went there and looked and didn't see anything appropriate for the Insight. Besides, I never can seem to find what I'm looking for on their site anyway.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I took a look at the JCWhitney site and it looks like this armrest will work. Use this SKU# ZX135862T. It comes in black or gray.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It's the "PADDED & UPHOLSTERED CENTER ARMREST STORAGE CONSOLE" listed in their catalog or online. Part number: ZX135858A for the black one and ZX135862T for the gray one. http://www.jcwhitney.com. I have the gray one, and although it's not a perfect match on the color, nobody has noticed that it isn't stock. :D They are 39.99 ea plus shipping and handling (about $10 for me in SC.) It took a couple of trial fittings at first to get it where I wanted and it is kind of snug for the seat back adjustments, but I don't change them anymore anyway. You just have to slide your hand flat in between to get to the lever.
The top is held to the base with wing nuts and screws, and is adjustable. I cut the bottom of the legs off 1-1/4" with a hacksaw (doesn't take long) and had to drill 4 holes. 2 at the back where it attaches with the stock console screws and 2 at the front where I put the all thread through it so it wouldn't slide down over the tunnel, and the plastic tube is placed over the all thread so it won't chafe the console in case I want to remove it. You need to adjust the base so it is the same width as the armrest and attach it with the curved legs at the rear. The first time I attached it, I did it as the picture and the rear hole lined up with the stock console holes. I found that I wanted it to go forward and lower (about the thickness of the hinged top).
I'll post dimensions later (I'm at work now) 8)
robert

·
Registered
61 Posts
Incredible, I was just going to order one. I thought about ordering one a few months ago but thought $80 was a bit greedy. I guess some other people thought the same thing. Husco's potential customers.

I think I will make my own. Been thinking about it and it was my back up plan.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I finally got a reply from them, they will not discount their remaining stock. Guess I will pass on it then, $80 is to much for an armrest..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got mine today, ordered the day of my original post. Appears to be very nice quality.

Since the seat irritates the heck out of my sciatic nerve, I'm going to get this in the car ASAP. Maybe leaning on it a bit from time to time will help. Otherwise it's cruise control, here I come, I guess. - Pat

·
Registered
150 Posts
Husco replies

OK folks, here's what I got back from emailing Husco:

rph[[email protected]
Nancy in customer service said :
Only a few Model H10X left. If interested, please place an email
message with shipping details but split up credit card into two(2) posts
as our secure order form has been discontinued with our shutdown
announcement. Cushion color is Medium Grey(J). No 10% discount so list
price of $91 pertains plus standard $6.00 UPS delivery charge. :shock:

Well, I reckon I'll be a buyin' one a them JC Whitney jobs. :cry:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Re: Husco replies

Wayne M said:
No 10% discount so list price of $91 pertains plus standard $6.00 UPS delivery charge.
What? The price on their site stated around $80. Let me get this right, they are going out of business so no discounts on remaining stock and they increase the product price?

No wonder they are going out of business.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks, it worked. I went ahead and parted with 97 of my hard earned dollars for one. It's been driving me nuts not having an armrest, that's one thing I like about my HCH but enjoy my Insight much more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts