Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you own a Hybrid Automotive Grid Charger, we want to hear from you! :-D

This is an open invitation to our customers to reply and leave comments in this thread about their experience with our products, service, and support. We appreciate honest feedback from our customers about their charger, their impact it had on their battery, how it was working with me, and the quality my post-sales support. We will be pointing potential customers who want feedback from prior customers to this thread.

If you have purchased a charger from me, please share your experience :)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
One of the best installs of your charger was for a guy who has a 2006 Insight.

He only has 15,000 miles on it after 8 years of ownership. It is stored in his garage most of the year, especially wintertime and during inclement weather.

When he brought it out for this season the IMA and all sorts of lights came on.

As he described the low use of the car I knew at once that he did not need a new battery, but instead only needed a grid charger. I am also a big proponent of having a discharger as well, so I made sure to install a discharge capable unit.

Looking forward to keeping this low mileage Insight in top condition, and the Hybrid Automotive grid charger will make sure the IMA battery is ready to go whenever the owner wants to take it for a spin!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saturday Service

Buy a grid charger from Jeff at Hybrid Automotive. I installed mine wrong and he called me on a Saturday to diagnose it. Who does that anymore? Great service!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Couldn't ask for better service! Ordered Monday, recieved today (Thursday), and installed in about 30 min via the excellent instructions. Will start charging this weekend.

Also, the construction is something that you can tell was done right, no corners cut.

Thanks Hybrid Automotive!

·
Registered
2 Posts
unprecedented service

The service here goes to 11. Highlights:

1) The aforementioned Saturday afternoon service assistance - looks like a common theme here.
2) A replacement charger was necessary (due to my incompetence, not a bad charger) that was shipped out the next day no charge with no guarantee other than my word that I would return the first unit.
3) Continued troubleshooting help with an issue unrelated to the charger that was causing me problems.

I’m 45 years old, and I cannot remember a more positive experience on a purchase in my life. It was as though Jeff’s sole objective in selling these chargers is to meet insight owners in order to help them out.

So one more time – Thanks Hybrid Automotive!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just been out for my first drive in my Insight since grid charging the battery with the Hybrid Automotive Charger. Brilliant no warning lights - full and sustained assist up a long steep hill that I need to negotiate everyday. Charge Indicator not dropping below 3/4 full even immediately after the steep hill.

I'd got the charger in and everything reassembled and started the filling procedure at about midday Sat. The voltage started at 162volt and climbed slowly to 172volt by about 11.00pm

I went to bed and checked the volts again this morning at about 7.30am and found them at 175 volt. I left it a couple of hours and found no change in voltage so disconnected everything and took my Dad out for a fathers day Coffee shortly after.

Nice bit of kit - I was surprised the charger wasn't even slightly warm to the touch it was left in the car outside with the windows up and a power lead trailing into the garage from the boot. It's just turned spring in NZ so not very warm yet.

Fitting the positive connection was a major pain - I imagine some guys might like to find a lady friend or small child to do it for them. I've got small hands and skinny fingers so got away with it.

Fingers crossed it will keep the IMA lights away for a long time. The car is going to be used for a daily commute into Wellington (NZ Capital) but will spend the odd week parked up when I work away from home. See how it goes this week.

I'll see if I can source a flat or ribbon mains cable with an IEC connector. A standard cable did go through the tailgate ok but it would be nice to have a skinny cable as a purchase option with the charger even with a US plug (I'm used to chopping off non NZ plugs :) ).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi from Azerbaijan

Hi guys! I'm from Azerbaijan. You guys probably even don't know where is it. :) Anyway...

This summer I drove to Iran trip (yes, yes!!!). About 1500 km (932 miles) in hot weather, more than 100 F with AC on. There I noticed that my battery is discharged quickly.

When I back to hometown immediately purchased Grid Charger (GC) from Jeff. Now I got it. IMA light comes on recently during last week. I think I shouldn't delay with installation. Tomorrow I am gonna to install it.

After it's done, I am gonna feedback here.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys! I'm from Azerbaijan. You guys probably even don't know where is it. :) Anyway...

This summer I drove to Iran trip (yes, yes!!!). About 1500 km (932 miles) in hot weather, more than 100 F with AC on. There I noticed that my battery is discharged quickly.

When I back to hometown immediately purchased Grid Charger (GC) from Jeff. Now I got it. IMA light comes on recently during last week. I think I shouldn't delay with installation. Tomorrow I am gonna to install it.

After it's done, I am gonna feedback here.
Glad to hear you received it! I must admit, I did have to look up Azerbaijan when your order came through :-D. We hope the charger helps you rebalance your battery pack and keeps the car running strong for a long while. I am always happy to help if you have any questions along the way.

One favor to ask: Now that you have received it, can you please cancel the eBay dispute so that we can be paid for the product and the shipping to get it to you? We are currently without any payment for the charger that is in your hands.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I'm from Azerbaijan. You guys probably even don't know where is it. :)...
Sure I do! Eurovision Song Contest 2013!

This summer I drove to Iran trip (yes, yes!!!).
Wow!

Do you own a G1 Insight? If so, you're even more isolated in your support for this car than I am in Sweden.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sure I do! Eurovision Song Contest 2013!
:( That was just wasting money...

Wow!

Do you own a G1 Insight? If so, you're even more isolated in your support for this car than I am in Sweden.
I own Civic Hybrid. There are a few HCH in my town, so I am quite isolated. Local Honda dealer does not support Hybrids. Therefore, we, owners "practise witchcraft" with our poor cars.
Even with my sudden IMA on, I have 5,1 l/100 km. It is about 46.12 mpg.

PS. Iran is beautiful and great country with very nice and friendly people! Do not rely to propaganda :)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
:( That was just wasting money...
But it did give Azerbaijan great publicity throughout Europe.

PS. Iran is beautiful and great country with very nice and friendly people! Do not rely to propaganda :)
I do not doubt that for a minute. A very nice Iranian couple lives in our apartment complex in Sweden. During the winter, I let the husband store his large motorcycle in my garage where my Insight sleeps until spring. Now, if the Iranian government would become a bit more reasonable…

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's done, Jeff. The case is closed. Thanx.
Got it. Thanks very much :) Please let us know if you have any questions or issues with the installation. We are always happy to help

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dear Jeff,
I have finished installation. Your installation guide is wonderful. In test regime my IMA battery showed 174 V stable with both fans on. After connecting all connectors, IMA switch on and 12V battery back on I have ignited engine to see the level of IMA battery. It doesn't show any bars and mandatory charging started. Then IMA light illuminated. I put transmission to L position to charge the IMA battery. After few minutes all bars are on and charging completed. Still have IMA light on. I turned off the engine and switched on Grid Charger. It started with steady 185V and 341-343 mA swing of current.
Now voltage is increasing slightly. According the charging guide "balancing" will start when voltage reaches app. 189V.
Fingers cross, till now everything seems goes fine. Let's see.
Any advice from your side?

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dear Jeff,
I have finished installation. Your installation guide is wonderful. In test regime my IMA battery showed 174 V stable with both fans on. After connecting all connectors, IMA switch on and 12V battery back on I have ignited engine to see the level of IMA battery. It doesn't show any bars and mandatory charging started. Then IMA light illuminated. I put transmission to L position to charge the IMA battery. After few minutes all bars are on and charging completed. Still have IMA light on. I turned off the engine and switched on Grid Charger. It started with steady 185V and 341-343 mA swing of current.
Now voltage is increasing slightly. According the charging guide "balancing" will start when voltage reaches app. 189V.
Fingers cross, till now everything seems goes fine. Let's see.
Any advice from your side?
Sounds good. Charging the pack with the car would cause it to be closer to full quickly, which is what you experienced. The IMA light puzzles me a bit. Did you get that again after disconnecting the 12V battery? If the light comes on immediately, that points to some other issue, usually something installation related like a loose plug or wire. The car takes multiple driving cycles to light the CEL due to battery imbalance, so that wouldn't be it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This IMA light worries me. Usially, it comes after half or an hour of driving. But yerterday he comes after few seconds when battery was empty. I did not disconnected 12V negative, just turned off and on again. Then IMA lights came back again with full battery charge (that was before connecting the CG). I have no CEL so far.
Now CG shows me 191 V with 343 mA. It continues ~6 hours.
I am gonna to disconnect 12V negative terminal after "balancing" finishes. If IMA comes again, my plan is to uncover back seat and check, unplug and plug back all connectors I have touched. If no result... I don't know...

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
With an Insight (and probably a Civic Hybrid), if the grid charger is connected when the engine is started, a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is set which illuminates the IMA warning light. So be sure to disconnect your charger when you are finished charging and before you start the engine.

If you read the DTC using an OBDII reader and report the DTC here, it would help forum members diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So, find my final report.
- after almost 23 hour of filling+balancing I have disconnected the CG, unplugged 12V negative for couple of minutes and started the engine. First, battery indicator showed NO CHARGE! and mandatory charging started. WTF I said! After less than minutes charging stopped and seem car saw full of IMA battery and bars came back one by one like in TETRIS Game. :)
After few minutes NO IMA light that worried us. That was a good sign. Some period later I started to drive and check. What I noticed that during 30 minutes of test drive battery level stayed in maximum level and just one bar disappeared. And charging started in every suitable condition. NO IMA LIGHT so far. Tomorrow I will check with long ride in traffic and let you know, if interested.
Sorry for long story. Thank you for your support.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts