Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a graduate student from UC Irvine in Southern California and my group is working on a Hybrid car comparison analysis project. I appreciate if you could help us with our project by answering some questions in our survey. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Please click on the following link to launch survey. (If it doesn't work, copy and paste the link to your web browser)

http://www.keysurvey.com/survey/8099/18e3/

Note: the above link was updated based on respondent's feedback. Thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
feedback

Hi, Gradstudent05,

I took your survey, and would like to offer some feedback:

Presentation: In todays world we are all flooded with more and less reputable surveys. It's important to show your authenticity: Tell us your name, for starters. Have the survey on a UC website or at least linked from there.

Survey itself: It's kinda silly that I'm required to answer questions about the Prius and the Insight no matter if I own one, both or none of them. (btw, no option for Civic)

On the maintenance/warranty questions I wasn't sure if I was rating how important these things are to me (that's how the question was worded). It would only make sense to ask that once. How important warranty is to me doesn't change with the car. Or was I asked how well each car did?

A free-text field for general comments at the end of the survey is usually where you get the most valuable information, but you cheated yourself out of that oportunity. Thankfully, you have this BBS!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I as well took the survey and tried to only answer the questions I was knowledgable with, but I was not allowed to go to the next page until I had answered all of the questions. I have no experience with the Prius and wanted to help you with your survey, but I had to answer those questions. I believe by having to answer questions about a car that I have no experience with, throws the results of your survey off. JMO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Armin,

I really appreciate your feedback on our survey. Your comments are valuable and will help our group design a better survey in the future for our future marketing classes.

Based on my reasearch on Hybrid car sales (until end of 2002), I did not find information on the Civic, I only found Prius and Insight. Since these two cars have been sold in the market for quite some time, our project concentrates in only those two models. We are only focusing on the U.S. market because we don't have time to focus on the worldwide market.

Regarding the maintenance and warranty questions, it's an analysis our group would do for the manufacturer from the point of view of the consumer. This information will help us formulate recommendations for the manufacturer. The first set of questions are meant to analyze the perception of the consumer towards one product even if you don't own such product. I understand that is difficult to rate a car you don't own because you don't know much about it and this is because the number of Hybrid cars is small compared to gasoline-operated cars.

Thanks again for your time and consideration.

·
Registered
198 Posts
What is the difference between a college degree and university degree? Since college appeared between technical school and university I would assume it meant 2-year. Personally, I would have put "Associate Degree", "Bachelor Degree", "Masters Degree", etc.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Don't forget Doctorial (sp?) Degree. Obviously I don't have one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried to fill out your survey, but I found some of the questions confusing. The survey really needs to be worded better if you want to get accurate information. At first, I filled out the Prius/Insight brand-added factors in terms of how important they were to me. Unfortunately, then I discovered (since this was what was asked on the next page), that I was supposed to rate how I felt about the Toyota and Honda brands.

I guess I'll give filling out your survey another shot, but I really feel it is in need of improvement. Right now the survey's quality and coherency is greatly lacking.

Here are my particular concerns with the survey:

1) Under the "Value Added" sections, the terms "Not Important", "Somewhat Important", "Very Important", don't seem to correlate with the question at all. Since we are judging our perception of each brands' quality the labels should be "Poor", "Fair" and "Good".

2) The attributes relating to our perceptions of the Prius and the Insight are not all listed in the proper context. The attributes should all be listed as adjectives, but some currently are listed as nouns. For example, you have "Comfort" listed, when the correct term would be "Comfortable" since it is describing one of the vehicle's attributes. Right now, essentially what you're saying is "The vehicle is comfort." It just doesn't work. The same problem exists with "Roominess". The next issue applies to this section as well.

3) One word descriptions aren't very professional and leave room for confusion. Instead of "Comfortable" (or "comfort" as listed currently), you should change it to read "The vehicle is comfortable." Alternatively, you can change it to read "Rate your view of the vehicle's comfort level", but in that case you need to change the answers from "Dis/Somewhat/Strongly Agree" to "Poor", "Fair", "Good" (actually that is what I personally would recommend doing).

4) The term "Environment Friendly" should be changed to "Environmentally Friendly". "High mileage" should be changed to "High Gas Mileage", at least unless you want to know how many people have racked up 100,000 miles on their vehicles.

5) I question your choice to ask peoples' perceptions of cars they don't even own. At the very least you need to include a "No Opinion" choice. Personally, I have no clue about Toyota's customer service (or their other attributes such as maintenance), and I have a hard time just arbitrarily rating it.

6) Maybe there's no easy solution to this, but stuff like "customer service" varies widely from dealership to dealership. It even varies depending on who you are dealing with. So, I'm not sure how much validity this factor will have overall.

7) Body Shop Accessibility is not based on brand. This is an issue relating directly to the cars themselves. For example, because the Insight is made out of aluminum it is no doubt harder to get it serviced at a body shop. However, that has no bearing on the entire Honda brand, since I'm sure a Honda Civic would be repaired at almost any body shop.

8 ) What if you own both a Toyota Prius and a Honda Insight? No selection was provided for both.

9) What if you own a Honda Civic Hybrid? I understand you were not aware it was available, but it is (and has been for the past model year). You really need to add it to the survey.

In conclusion, it seems like you are off to a good start, but you need to think out your questions and answers more clearly. The survey needs to be revised so everything is written in the correct context and so it's easier for people to understand. If people have to wrestle through the survey in its current form, the data you are going end up with will be highly flawed and effectively useless.

To be honest, I have a hard time saying even my answers to your survey are worth anything, because I was forced to rate a bunch of stuff about which I had no knowledge whatsoever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts