Honda Insight Forum banner

Hybrid charging issue.

489 3
My hybrid battery is four years old. Last February the charging system would only charge it to fifty percent under normal driving conditions. After that, I have to manually get it to charge by laying off the clutch more - forcing it to charge. I did reset of the car. I do have a grid charger but never drained it all the way. Anything I should look into?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
8,642 Posts
Is that an aftermarket pack or OEM? I'd guess aftermarket...

Insight battery management seems to charge to a nominal ~55% and quit on its own sometimes/regularly, under the 'right' conditions. I'm not positive but I think the battery computer (BCM) must be looking for pack or tap voltages (probably tap) that hit some threshold at that nominal charge state value, and I guess stop charging if it's high enough. Aftermarket packs have been known to do this more than OEM, and there might be some BCMs that do it more often than others...

You might try a near-full grid charge - take it to the top, but don't overcharge it - then see how the pack/IMA behaves. NiMH chemistry also has some weird stuff going on, where voltages can be high when charge state is low. Since the BCM seems to use voltage targets, I think this can end up confusing battery management, you can end up using/getting stuck at low charge state simply because voltages look the same as they do when charge state is high.

You might also try exercising the pack more fully - take it down low, as low as you can get it, then either let the car charge it up and then grid charge, or just do a full grid charge.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply and I apologize for the delay in replying back to this thread. I now have a solid IMA light. I do remember this happening if I had the grid charger plugged in and forgetting to unplug it before turning on the ignition switch. The grid charger I do use has failed. I can no longer read the LCD digits. Also, my grid charger didn't come with a discharge resistor. I may have to buy another. My IMA battery is aftermarket and NOT OEM. You're correct in that assumption.

As of right now, I just unplugged the 12-volt battery to reset the computer and see if I can get the IMA light to go out. Which grid charger would you recommend?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts