Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Nope, I used Ron in Staten Island last year and was happy till the hot season started here... had a couple IMA's in the last month. I've decieded to try and do the pack refurb/balance myself. I'm getting another Gen 1 pack, a MRC Brain 989 charger and also building a pack wacker/balancer (Mike Dabrowski's).

My Insight doesn't have an AC system and that is probably a major cause of my pack problems so I'm also getting an AC kit and will install in probably next weekend.

We'll see what happens...

Where is ReVolt?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Nope, I used Ron in Staten Island last year and was happy till the hot season started here... had a couple IMA's in the last month. I've decieded to try and do the pack refurb/balance myself. I'm getting another Gen 1 pack, a MRC Brain 989 charger and also building a pack wacker/balancer (Mike Dabrowski's).

My Insight doesn't have an AC system and that is probably a major cause of my pack problems so I'm also getting an AC kit and will install in probably next weekend.

We'll see what happens...

Where is ReVolt?
So you're saying that you think not having AC is causing the battery to get too hot?

Anyone know how hot it needs to be for the battery to have problems? I would assume if it was too hot for the battery, it'd be unbearable for the driver.

The other day, I was driving around with no AC on the highway with the windows up (only light battery use/charge) in the mid 90's.

The MIMA fan seems to want to stay on, but it really seems to want to stay on almost all the time. Anyone know off hand at what temp it turns off? I feel like it's wasting energy (especially right when I turn the car on).

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
The other day, I was driving around with no AC on the highway with the windows up (only light battery use/charge) in the mid 90's.

The MIMA fan seems to want to stay on, but it really seems to want to stay on almost all the time. Anyone know off hand at what temp it turns off? I feel like it's wasting energy (especially right when I turn the car on).
According to Mike's firmware, he set the fans to turn on at ~95F and turn off at ~91F so if you are just starting your car with the temps in the mid 90's .... it makes sense why MIMA has already turned on the fan.

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
So you're saying that you think not having AC is causing the battery to get too hot?

Anyone know how hot it needs to be for the battery to have problems? I would assume if it was too hot for the battery, it'd be unbearable for the driver.

That's what I'm saying... I'm pretty sure that the elevated temps here in AZ are not too good for the battery pack... But I get to go inside, at home, at work, in the stores etc, where the AC is while the car is outside 100% of the time. So I get to cool off, the car doesn't. The car overnights in the shade and the 7 am temp is 80+, so the bat pack never really gets to cool off, it is always 'hot'. During the day at work, in the sun, the interior gets to 110+, so the bat pack is at 110 also, the ambient may be 99 or more, so when I drive at lunch or going home, during the day, the pack never goes below 99 or the ambient since I have no AC. For the past couple weeks, it is normal that I get home, after a 45 min drive at 45 average, with the bat temp at 106-110.

So I have problems with the bat pack because of the heat.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
He lives in Arizona and ambient temperatures can easily reach 105. When the fan kicks on, it isn't bringing any cold (70 degree) air in.

When the cells get VERY hot (like after you shut the car off and close it up in that kind of heat), they can vent. Once they vent, they have less electrolyte and dont work as well (because not all of the plate material contacts the electrolyte), so their capacity drops.

I really don't know what is going wrong with his battery. It is under warranty and I'll gladly fix it, but Rush doesn't want to incur the shipping charges. I only cover warranty shipping during the first 90 days, and the customer pays shipping for warranty work after that. This battery was fixed much more than 90 days ago.

I've also offered to help him diagnose/recondition it himself. That's why he has a charger.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would try to find out how many batteries he's serviced. I've fixed about 80 so far this year alone.

That's what this post is doing. Since there are many high tech electronics firms there they might be a good source especially since their prices are real competitive. Yeah, I know you're faced with very high taxes and operating costs.
But lets see what their custoimers, if any, say.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
That's what this post is doing. Since there are many high tech electronics firms there they might be a good source especially since their prices are real competitive. Yeah, I know you're faced with very high taxes and operating costs.
But lets see what their custoimers, if any, say.
I've only been able to find one mention of their site anywhere. Someone named "Hannah".

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts
Why doesn't someone in the Phoenix area "go check them out"?

Willie

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the pack rebuilt in my 2000 MT by Hybrid Revolt. The first pack proved not to last more than a couple of weeks, so I drove the car from Tucson back to them (150 miles) and he swapped in while I waited (most of day) several more packs he had redone until he was satisfied with the last one's condition. I used it for several months and then sold the car. I had retired and no longer needed 2 Insights (I still have my 2001 CVT) as I no longer drive daily 60 miles round trip to and from work. I now have IMA on my 2001 and am thinking about going back to him as he now advertises a new cell pack for around $2K. My proximity makes him a good choice due to lack of shipping cost, core charge (since he gets my old one at time I pickup new) and ease of warranty exchange without shipping cost if there is a problem. Bumblebee has more volume experience I think w/ new cell packs, though, if you have to deal with shipping anyway. My experience is that Hybrid Revolt was a little hard to reach by phone but definitely stood behind his product. He even did all that swapout in my vehicle at his place even though I had only paid the lower price for cash and carry where I brought in the old pack, picked my old pack up after rebuilding a couple of weeks later (2 trips) and had not paid the higher price for a swap out pack where he replaced my core with an already rebuilt and tested pack-- which is what I ended up with in the end at the lower price. i was impressed with that, though I would have been happier with the initial rebuilt pack lasting and not requiring the 3rd round trip and spending all day in Phoenix area at his place getting everything replaced till he had it right. But these things can happen and he definitely went above and beyond to make it right.

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody used ReVolt in AZ to refurbish \battery?
I just purchased one of Matt's batteries for my 2002 MT after the IMA light came on with the code indicating battery deterioration. He shipped it out 2 days after I placed my order on www.hybridrevolt.com and it arrived a couple of days later nicely packed in sculpted foam. He also provided installation instructions. I swapped it out myself and returned my old battery using the prepaid shipping label. The $500 core charge was refunded upon receipt.

I don't have any way to objectively measure the new battery, but the difference is huge, my gas mileage is up +10 mpg, there is noticeably more assist and braking, the charge / discharge meters on the dash are much "bouncier" and I get much more assist before seeing a drop in the SOC meter.

I was pleased with the transaction and would do business again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are thinking of going through him as well since he has the 8AMP battery for what everyone else is charging for just a the basic refurbished IMAs. Thanks for the 'insight'. A couple of reviews of the reliability on Revolt's batteries would be nice. But I think the reliability of his company seems solid.

As a side note, Honda said our battery needed replacement....3 years ago! The IMA light is on but everything works as it should. The battery charges, discharges, assists as it should. The gas mileage and power while never great haven't suffered, so I just figured if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The problem is when we took the car through emissions recently they wouldn't even test it with a check engine light on and they failed us. Not to mention I will be happy when we sell this 2003 Civic Hybrid, I have never liked this car, but we can't sell it with a bad battery and I figure buy a 3 year warranty battery now, drive it for another year (hopefully before the CVT goes out) and sell it then with a warranty still left on the battery. Then go back to a Toyota! Sorry Honda fans but they really failed at hybrid technology.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hybrid ReVolt Battery pack burned up my Honda Civic Hybrid

Back in December of 2013 I purchased a NEW battery pack from Hybrid ReVolt. The pack worked great for about 9 months until one Saturday evening I noticed my car was filled with smoke so I called the fire department. The battery pack spontaneously combusted. The car was OFF at the time and had not been driven since the night before. The car was operating properly before the incident. My car was totaled. The rear dash and trunk of my car was burned out and the entire car was full of soot and smoke. I contacted HybridReVolt and to date they are claiming it is not their responsibility. They won't even cover the cost of the battery pack let alone the cost of the totaled car. They claim it was an external shorting event that caused it to burn up. However the car operated fine before and still operates now in the "by-pass" mode so all the Hybrid IGBTs, DC-DC converter and control circuity are all working fine. There is no indication any failure or damaged hybrid components except the battery. The car was OFF since the night before so there is no way it was an external shoring event. Defective battery cells are the only thing that would produce a result like this.

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
That's a very rare and unusual event. :(

It looks like the failure is at the top (hottest part of the battery).

Was it a very hot day before/when you parked it up.?
Had you been using it hard before you parked it up?
Had you noticed the IMA fan running before you parked it up?
Have you noticed any funny smells prior to the event?

You or the vendor IMHO need to try and disassemble it a bit more with care.
Watch out for the caustic soda.

A leaking cell could cause a breakdown of the insulation/heatshrink/ etc and then a runaway short circuit event like mike D discovered due to the conductive rubber used to stop the cells rattling about in the case.

If I was the vendor I would want it back to have a look at it.

Pinning it down will be nearly impossible as you can't eliminate nibbling rodents so you just never know.

My guess is leaky cell, or cell internal short circuit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hybrid ReVolt Battery pack burned up my Honda Civic Hybrid

This is Michigan it was not hot it was just in the 80s and out of the sun. No rodents for sure.
I would agree faulty cell is really the only thing that would do this in this situation.

I too would think they would want to investigate it but they don't seem to want to have anything to do with it now.

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts
Please include your location in your profile. Hot temperatures can effect the IMA battery greatly.

Willie

·
6,918 Posts
Wow. That's really scary.

We are fairly certain what the cause is. We identified this potential problem and took measures to prevent it early on. It takes a little more time for us to assemble our packs than it does other vendors I'm sure, but quality control is just absolutely critical with such a potentially dangerous product. Basically, anything that can damage the heat shrink - mechanically or chemically, must be avoided at all costs.

It's a little unbelievable to me that Matt doesn't want the battery back; that would be the first thing I would want to investigate - the cause - so I could make absolutely certain it never, ever happens again?

Obviously I can't know for sure, but the idea that this was an "external shorting event" seems ludicrous. The car was off and stationary, according to the owner. Further, any type of short while in operation would cause an instant IMA light. I'm going to assume that nothing external was installed, ie: a grid charger. No, this was almost certainly a problem inside the battery.

How long had the car been sitting when you noticed it was full of smoke? I can't believe it didn't burn to the ground; fire tends to move very fast. Consider yourself lucky!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
About this Discussion
62 Replies
31 Participants
Willie Williford
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing