Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hybrid ReVolt

Hello all,

I am new to the Insight. Just bought a 2001 w/43K from my mother in law.
While searching, I found Hybrid ReVolt's web site and was intrigued by the "BRAND NEW 8AH high current IMA batteries". Until then, I was under the impression that "New" batteries were not available.
Any insight? (pun intended)

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Honda does not. Aftermarket suppliers do. The two most active in this community are Bumblebee Batteries and Hybrid ReVolt.

They are all Chinese made cells. Both above suppliers subject them to rigorous QA before committing them to a pack build.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks S Keith.

So, what is the impact of the 8AH? And, do they last as long as the OE?

My car still has the original batteries and is currently showing no codes (just lucky I guess) but I expect to have issues eventually.

Also considering a grid charger. What is the big difference between the "smart" charger and the "dumb" charger?

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
Also considering a grid charger. What is the big difference between the "smart" charger and the "dumb" charger?

Thanks again.
The smart charger can be programmed to do a wide variety of charge/discharge routines automatically without being watched. It will also charge part way at 1000mAh, which saves some time.

The dumb chargers have to be watched, though not continuously, and controlled manually. I think all of them charge at approx. 350 mAh.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
The smart charger can be programmed to do a wide variety of charge/discharge routines automatically without being watched. It will also charge part way at 1000mAh, which saves some time.

The dumb chargers have to be watched, though not continuously, and controlled manually. I think all of them charge at approx. 350 mAh.
Even the "dumb" chargers are pretty smart now. With HA's recent improvements, it rivals the Genesis from an automated charge/discharge perspective, though it is limited to the 350mA charge rate jime stated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance but "HA"?

I would like to find a good grid charger, but don't want to spend any more than I have to in order to get one that I don't have to build and might come with a warranty.

The smart charger I saw on Hybrid ReVolt looked nice, but a little pricy.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
....I found Hybrid ReVolt's web site and was intrigued by the "BRAND NEW 8AH high current IMA batteries".
fyi, they're not actually 8Ah cells, they're more like 6.2Ah. I don't know how these vendors can continue to advertise them as 8Ah with a straight face, or without getting sued... They can put out more power for longer than the OEM stock batteries because they have lower resistance - so they can squeeze out more energy within the car's management safety thresholds. But they won't put out 8 amps for 1 hour, i.e. 8 amp hours...

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Because the standard for capacity without discharge qualification is ridiculously low. IIRC, it's 0.2C, so 1.6A in the case of 8A cells.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Thats kind of disappointing as an owner of a newer model looking for aftermarket parts for better performance. Seems most say the reason those batteries are rated higher is due to the difference in discharging rates. A few say the dielectric material is thinner so more can be wrapped in a cell. This thinner material leads to a bigger charge, but at the expense of the cell life as the thinner material will break down faster. :confused:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Because the standard for capacity without discharge qualification is ridiculously low. IIRC, it's 0.2C, so 1.6A in the case of 8A cells.
With the test discharge rate low you're basically holding other things equal and measuring only "capacity" - how much stuff is in the cell, its 'size'.

The Betterbattery cells seem to be, actually, smaller than the stock cells. They have longer plates - which increases surface area and lowers current density, which means lower 'internal resistance'. But they seem to have less stuff - which would make sense since you've increased the plate length and thus increased the amount of non-reactive stuff in a fixed-size cell can, i.e. less room for the reactants... I'm not saying it's a bad thing; it's probably a better design for the car - to have cells that can handle more power. The stock cells are probably too weak in that regard. But it's a trade-off, and it shouldn't be misrepresented. True 8Ah cells have more stuff to react; instead, the Betterbattery cells have less stuff but are designed to react that stuff 'faster'... Smaller cells, faster reactions, uses larger fraction of total capacity than stock cells...

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
fyi, they're not actually 8Ah cells, they're more like 6.2Ah. ....
And actually, if the one new stick I have is representative, 6.2Ah would be generous: even after some full cycles, I was only able to pull 5800mAh out of 4 of the 6 cells, and only about 5200mAh out of 2 of them (at a 6.5A discharge rate)... So "8Ah" vs. 5.8Ah? There's a big difference there...

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
And actually, if the one new stick I have is representative, 6.2Ah would be generous: even after some full cycles, I was only able to pull 5800mAh out of 4 of the 6 cells, and only about 5200mAh out of 2 of them (at a 6.5A discharge rate)... So "8Ah" vs. 5.8Ah? There's a big difference there...
I suspect they're closer to the cells used in the HCH2/HAH. They're only rated at 5.5Ah, and they are a little smaller at the OD between the weld joints.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Am looking for the reason and final investigation of the battery pack that melted in the gentlemans civic hybrid car,hybrid revolt settled with him,but we didn't get a true anser to what really happened,was is the bad shrink wrap as suggested by bumble bees suggestion,

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
What part of SD are you at ?
Is MATT going to install it? He use to do "Road Calls" in the SD area..

Willie

I found the answer on your Craigs list. Forget first question.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
About this Discussion
62 Replies
31 Participants
Willie Williford
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing