Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I went up north this week and at about 200 km north of Montreal, I was amazed as I saw a Prius. I drove next to the couple, the guy was driving. I honked to get his attention and waved.
I got a bad look from the Prius driver. I suppose that not all hybrid owners are friendly and that some consider themselves more hybrid than others (that was the face he had). Too bad for him. :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Yves:

___He or she was probably just having a bad day ;)

___Just 2 days ago I got a wave from a pacing Saturn driver and not 10 minutes later, I received a scowl from an older lady in a Camry given I was doing 55 mph in the far right hand lane … Go figure? Insight and Prius drivers are usually more receptive so I am surprised by that particular Prius driver’s reaction. Then again, your car is prettier then his is :)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:fzx33qb9][email protected][/email:fzx33qb9]

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi Yves,
It happened to me to, maybe it's my face, or a lot of people don't understand the Insight technique, or the people (Prius-owners) don't feel associated with the Insight. And an other thing is, on the back of my car is no decal wich says "hybrid". So the Prius owners (might) feel "superiour" and maybe thinking that they HAVE the "green mean clean lean machine". I don't want to be rude to the Prius owners, because it is a nice car :wink: wich (almost) can compete with the Insight :roll: .
I had once a VW Lupo 3L driving allong with me, with a man and his wife, and they absolutely understood the meaning of the Insight and give me a "thumb-up". That's the way I like it :D

OK,OK....I admit , it's my face.............

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Windmill:

___With the only Insight in the Netherlands and just a few I have read about on the entire European contentment, you have got to receive some pretty wild looking stares when cruising the highways and byways in your locale by others that haven’t a clue as to what you are driving! I mean I have seen Ferrari’s on the Chicago tollway and Interstates maybe 50 times in my life (there is a Ferrari dealership ~ 5 towns from me), Vipers maybe 50 times since they have been released (the guy across the street owns one) which is less then I have seen other Insight’s for all that’s worth here near Chicago. Wow is about all I can imagine given the unique vehicle you own in your country.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:1zf8d4ul][email protected][/email:1zf8d4ul]

·
Registered
295 Posts
xcel said:
With the only Insight in the Netherlands.......you have got to receive some pretty wild looking stares...... but damn, what a unique vehicle you own in your country.
Hey Xcel,
You are absolutely right !
When I go to work, and this is no lie, people are staring at my car like it came straight from the year 2075. I get so much attention that there is sometimes a [email protected]#$% moment that I think: keep tour eyes on the road !!!
It scares me sometimes......

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
I've never had any luck getting the attention of Prius drivers either... Maybe they're just bitter...?
*chuckles* I noticed a couple years ago that the original (01-03) Prius owners appeared to be much older than the general population. You should just be glad they're not ramming into you... how does that old joke go, Grandma died with a smile on her face but the passengers in her car died screaming?

Seriously, a likely reason is the mass appeal of the Prius v.s. the Insight, which is much more of an enthusiast's vehicle. If I make eye contact with other hybrid drivers, I do still try to give a little wave or flick my lights, every once in a while I get a response. It's definitely not the same as it was 3+ years ago, when fellow Insight owners would eagerly wave back, and even stop to chat.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Tim Maddux said:
... how does that old joke go, Grandma died with a smile on her face but the passengers in her car died screaming?
Old joke is something like:

"I want to pass away in my sleep like my Grandma.....not like the screaming passengers in her car..." :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Getting out of my Insight (#00167 'MONKY C') today in West Vancouver, I was approached by a gentleman who 'thanked me for driving a sensible car' and 'helping to save the planet'.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Monkey_C:

___It is too bad there weren’t more individuals like the gentleman that approached you today and more Insight’s on the road as well …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:1cdqytua][email protected][/email:1cdqytua]

·
Registered
33 Posts
I told my Ecology teacher (yes, I'm still in school) that I'm planning on buying an Insight and he was so overjoyed, his wife owns one I think. We sat there talking for about 20 minutes about it.. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts