Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

From reading some threads, it seems that hybrids are at their best in long[er] distance, constant-driving trips (like any other car?).

My commute to work is about 5 miles one-way, or 10 two-way. Not taking public transportation or two-wheel transportation into consideration, would a car such as a used Insight be a better option than, say, a new compact a la Mazda 3?

I'd imagine my main concern should be battery longevity?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi mhedges and welcome to the forum :!: :)

The "problem" with short trips with _any_ internal combustion engine is that its not up to "efficiency" until its fully warmed-up. Summertime takes 1 mile or so. Wintertime closer to 3.

During the warm-up period MPG's will be much lower. As a percentage and especially in a 5 spd Insight (no lean burn 'til warm) the MPG "loss" appears to be astronomical. But it is a similar percentage for all cars.

Under short commute conditions in warm climates expect an attainable (with effort) annual MPG average to be in the upper 40's. Cold climates mid 40's with the CVT (automatic transmission) Insight coming in a bit less then 10 MPG lower.

As far as the IMA batteries, shouldn't be an "issue" if your driving for maximum MPG for the available conditions.

I don't think any other _gasoline_ car in production could come close to that MPG under those conditions. But a diesel might.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 4.5 mile one way commute through 13 stoplights. During winter temps of low 40 degree mornings and mid to high 50 degree afternoons I struggle to achieve low 60mpg. In summer temps of high 60 degree mornings and mid to upper 90 degree afternoons, low 70mpg is the norm for me. I acclerate slower than 95% of vehicles on my route but I do cruise at the posted speed limit (35,40 or 45mph for the streets I travel).
With spring officially here, I'm seeing the transition to higher mpg.

·
Registered
466 Posts
my 5 mile drive to get my kid to school (and me back home) gets me 60 mpg in the summer, and 50-55 in the winter. i dont know how accurate that really is, because i zero the trip meter when i start out, so it starts counting at zero. i dont think 5 miles is enough to get the low starting point out of the calculation.

still, thats a lot better than most anything else out there.

btw, my average commute to work and back (55 miles) is 70 in the winter and 75-80 in the summer. that assumes no heavy rain (sometimes) or traffic jams (rarely).

·
Registered
323 Posts
i walk to work (right now), but most of my driving is short trips, very little highway and i do struggle to get some of the higher mileage. I have a CVT and in the colder weather get 46-48mpg and in the warmer weather is it above 50mpg, usually 50-52. My highway mileage is much higher for both temps.
I do believe the Prius is made for shorter drives and city driving and gets better non-highway mileage than highway mileage. BUT the Insight is soooooooooooo easy to parallel park 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts