Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HYBRIDS UNITE!!!

Come join your Insight friends in helping set a new world record for the Longest Hybrid Car Parade, Sunday morning, July 24 in Madison, WI.

According to Guinness, the current record is only 140 cars that was set in Belgium and I know we can smash through that record.

It's FREE to attend, you'll get a bunch of goodies, plus enjoy the satisfaction of being part of a world record!

Tell all your friends and be sure to bring your camera.

See the Hybrids On Parade (The HOP) signup page for more detail.

The HOP-(Hybrids on Parade), presented by Smart Motors - Eventbrite

See you there!!

Oh, and here's a link to an article about the event:
Wisconsin Toyota dealer aiming for world record hybrid parade | Hybrid Cars

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
“The features of hybrid vehicles really lend it to a parade situation,” say’s Allen Foster, vice president and general manager at Smart Motors. Even with 500 vehicles traveling over 2+ miles the end result is that they stay in electric mode for all of, or nearly all of the parade.
Sure, electric mode... I could pulse and then glide through the 2+ miles with the engine off :D

This is on the final day of the Madison HybridFest, which is now known as Green Drive Expo, so I'll already be there. Already 384 people out of the maximum 500 people that can sign up more than a month from the event, it'll be full and I'm assuming mostly Prius cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
HOP, Madison WI, July 24

Signed up to participate in the parade w/ my 2011 I2. When I signed up on July 1 they indicated they were 2 entrants away from breaking the Belgium record of 140 cars.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Sorry, I wont be attending. Thats just too much driving. I rather donate to someone in trade for swag from the show.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm picking up my 2006 in San Antonio on Friday so if I hurry I could be back in time but it sounds like there won't be room anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Actually, there is still 348 spots left. I was hoping to make it a little more leisurely drive back as I learn to drive my car but maybe I'll have to make it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Unless someone goes wrong on my trip back from SA, I will definitely be there. Will there be a chance for us to meet up? I'd sure like to meet some of the other members here.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
If you are planning on signing up for this event, do it soon. The counter shows 2 days and a few hours left now for registering.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just got back. Set the new record with 208 cars!!

Got to meet MNDriver and Ron from HBR but unfortunately, only briefly before we had to be in our cars for the parade.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
We didn't set the record yet. Since Guiness World Records didn't have someone there directly, they need to submit the video footage in order for them to verify that the parade qualified and that we didn't do anything to disqualify us.

I think the rule that we had to be within 1 car length or closer was difficult traveling at 5mph so I'm hoping nobody broke that rule or that if we did that they are lenient about it. The guy in front of me was in an SUV hybrid and went from 3mph to 15mph, I kept my distance but I can't imagine how everyone else could have possible done it. Seems some people along the way couldn't figure out how to smooth the flow a bit. 2 car lengths would have been MUCH easier. It was a bit of a pain as the car lugs terribly at 3 or 4 mph and there was alot of clutching when things slowed down or stopped. Someone else mentioned.

I'll never forget the horn action along the way.
*beep beep beep ba-beep-ba-beep beep beep*
Wisconsin politics was involved strongly during the parade. I've never seen so many bumper stickers for one cause in my life either until I was in Wisconsin, not at the parade but the whole state.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Here is the last line in the article;

"All of the vehicles stayed in electric mode for the parade."

I guess all you Honda folks must have had MIMA? (kidding) or maybe some wicked IMA mod that allows for decoupling the ICE from the transmission shaft. (again kidding)

·
3,641 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
IIRC, in the parking lot before the parade, there were 3 in a row in 1 line (including MNDriver's), mine and a couple more scattered about. I got there a little late so didn't get to look around a lot. Maybe MND or Ron will have a better count.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
I think there were about 15 Insights there. Not far from me in the pack was Ron's car and roughly a half dozen red Insights and I saw a few other chunks of them but didn't really go about the parking lot looking for them. There was at least one Civic hybrid in the mix. There were a number of hybrid SUVs in the pack, I saw a Lexus hybrid there. Mostly Toyota products though as would be expected. I think that linked news article was a bit weird with the 'electric mode' comment but the same was said on the Smart Toyota blurb too so it seems the news just copied that. The comments section of that news site is fully to read, $10k more for a hybrid is laughable considering I paid a fraction of that total for my car and one of the guys thinks Priuses are run off of coal. *sigh*

Either way, it was interesting to be there to talk with everyone, I showed a few people my 300 miles at 80mpg trip meter from Minneapolis to Madison and they were happy to see it, I was in a hurry to get back home and got 67mpg on the section way back, no complaints there at 73mpg overall including the city driving from my downtown hotel to the fair and to Milwaukee one of the evenings. I still liked the Green Drive Expo better, very interesting conversions and lots of opinion exchange with owners of different makes, models, and types(biodiesel, electric, CNG, etc too).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Me and the wife enjoyed the event as well.
Drove from Kansas so we left after Saturday at closing.

Saw a lot of cool things.

Someone looked to have some kind of hydrogen generator displayed on their prius.
Bought a scan guage for my other vehicle (fun to use!)
Took a free toyota test drive.

Lots of Volts present and Toyota REALLY had a presence there.

Glad my insight wasn't on display. Its ugly,beat to hell and the batteries are failing so i hid it out in the parking lot

Is this event actually called "hybrid fest"? I didn't see that it said that anywhere.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts