Honda Insight Forum banner

Hydrocarbon refrigerant

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ecfool 
I've never heard that R134a is less efficient than freon, but ok I'll go with this. I would simply stop right at that though personally for the simple reason that freeon is very expensive now as it hasn't been allowed to be produced in years. A small can that you would buy at an automotive parts store that used to be .99 cents now is worth about $25 last I saw any. People convert their older cars over to 134a because it's cheaper to convert them than to buy old R12

Ok so the conversion process from R12 to 134a is basically a different fitting and a different oil for the system. I guess maybe you could go backwards, but you'd likely have to make something custom go get it to work with the Insight. I'll personally stick with 134a, thats what the car was made to work with. In fact wasn't it legislation that forced car manufacturers to switch to 134a in the first place? Might be a legal issue with doing that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.