·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Definitely one for Xcel!

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Rick:

___Are they serious? My god 1/4 of the members here can break 100 mpg over 150 miles without a sweat with the setup and technique some of us use in our little beauties. I only own my Insight for another week so will it count as I could easily hit another 100 mpg’er for 1,000 miles on my way out to MA.? The 55 mph average - minimum will be a tough one but with a 5 mph tail wind …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:9gifrd4y][email protected][/email:9gifrd4y]

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Also note that they have around 15 different 'start' locations before you all get to the same finish line. I wonder which routes have more downhill runs and more likely to be clear of traffic? :wink:

·
Registered
340 Posts
We wouldn't be able to run in the Insight category unless we drop our tire pressures to 45lbs. The warm air intake might also be a problem, but I think it would be easy enough to camoflage and connect it underneath the stock intake.
It would also be pretty easy to have a header tank, but confusing the fcd might be a trick.
Someone with a box van truck could lead the way for quite a while....
But I guess to be in the spirit of things, just run in the modified category.
It could be fun.
Robert

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sounds great...... Vehicles can start at any of 15 locations across US and Canada....... :(
I've driven 117 mpg for plus minus 50 km's/30 miles in southern France.
I never knew that there where rally's like this, I think it is fun and easy to do !! 8)

Good luck from Europe :wink:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Looks very interesting. I would have to run in the modified Insight catagory but wonder if my exhaust is legal. I cut off the muffler as the car is not very loud with 2 cats and a resonator. The pipe dead ends underneath the car. I have a air horn sticking out the old exhaust port for those that tailgate to closely. Also the rules state you must have a navigator over age 16. Can I use an electronic navigator or can the driver be the navigator. And lastly are nitrogen tires those that are filled with nitrogen. If so why not helium filled tires or does nitrogen offer something else.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I sent the questions to the event organizers. We will see what they say. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi Rick,
Helium, I believe, bleeds through the tires quickly and expands a lot more rapidly when heated, so tire pressures will change a lot.
As far as nitrogen goes, we would use that in the racing tires because it didn't expand and contract as much as air because there was no moisture in it.
I don't think your navigator is 16 years old yet. :roll:
robert

·
Registered
652 Posts
Robert,
My navigator is at least 4 years old and it is probably more reliable than a 16 year old in navigating. Thanks for the tire explanation. I thought the weight saving would be really small but I could see the expansion benefits you mentioned. Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey Rick,
If they require a living navigator, maybe you could find a 16 year old goldfish :shock:, or an anorexic wannabe model to save weight. :roll:

Anyway, a traditional Monte Carlo rally would be pretty difficult for one person to do. They have a start time and give you an average speed for what they call "minimum distance" (that is the distance there are guaranteed to be no checkpoints). From that point on, you will have to follow the course at the prescribed speeds until the next checkpoint. For example: FLR (Follow Lined Road) at 47 mph until the third Falling Rock sign. CST (Change Speed to) 51 mph for 3.9 miles and enter Interstate 95 heading North CST 61. Anywhere in there can be a checkpoint. They know when your out time was, and by calculating the distances and times they know when you should be there. You get a point for every second (or hundredth of a minute depending on how it is scored) you are early or late. In other words, the navigator can make or break your score. They usually have several classes, and some of those guys had some major computers and programs tied into the car to make it more accurate. (This is from my rally days about 30 years ago).
Their version might be just to average 55mph until you get to the finish, and calculate how close to 55mph you can average.

Sounds like fun any way you look at it.
robert

·
Registered
652 Posts
I don't think this one works that way as they say you can take any route you desire as long as you arrive at the destination before a specific time so that they can compile the statistics. Have fun, Rick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts