Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I finally got my hands on a 2010 insight!

There is a lot of info on hypermiling/ how to increase your mpg techniques in text but not so much via videos. I find learning through videos much easier.
Can folks post links to video that you have found usefull?
Many thanks!
Ben

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
No vids here, but lots of excellent reading and easy to employ techniques. An article by Wayne Gerdes on Cleanmpg.com. Follow the link on "beating the epa..." . Long read, but worthwhile.

Anyone can use some or all of the techniques on almost any vehicle.

Happy hypermiling :)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Basically you drive to save energy. Driving slower helps the most on top of changing your car to get better mpg. You can add more air to the tires, block half the grill, remove unnecessary junk and weight from your car, use cruse control and eco mode.

Also take roads with a 45 mph speed limit, combine trips into one long one vs several small ones, use the least amount of heat or ac as needed, coast to a stop, accelerate slower, etc.

·
3,641 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,165 Posts
The original OP was a gen2 guy, so Wayne's technique of FASing isn't available, but most of the information on his CleanMPG site still works.

Gen1 MT guys have an advantage by being able to FAS, which will save fuel if the battery is latter grid charged. A strong battery and battery energy management are critical to getting super MPG numbers. An OBDII C&C helps a lot.

A FAS circuit also offers advantages over the key-off method, because mileage does not accumulate while the key is off. With a FAS circuit, the key is never off. Even short key-offs affects results.

·
Registered
831 Posts
A lot depends on where you drive. City stop and go, fast Interstates, hills, windy locations, heat, rain, snow... you name it.

Can't drive slow and hold up traffic. Not safe. Drive moderately and safely in any situation. Slowing gently using a bit of brake will help recover battery energy, and allow better MPGs.

Lots of ways to do this. A lot of us get 50 mpg or more on average. Your gauges can give you valuable feedback on how you're doing. Well inflated Low Rolling Resistance tires will also help. More and more of those available from many tire manufacturers.

Congrats on snagging a 2010 Insight. Let us know how you and your car progress.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
As a former call center representative I found this statement to be true. "Performance drives metrics". Then I think of this saying,"If you have to count the words in your essay, you did not write a good essay".

Ive watch the videos and read online how to get good mpg and I also just follow the guy in front of me when on the road. Surprisingly following the guy in front of me did not do that bad. I notice I was always off and on the throttle, slowed down and sped up and did quite a bit of coasting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts