Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to find the original post. In it, ol rowdy suggested turning off the I'ma switch and rejuvinating the system as it sat for 5 years. When I went to his link, I couldn't find how to do this. Any suggestions?

I am down by the car. Tips on how to do a double trans fluid change, should I drain and put in fresh coolant? I want this to be my last car! Thanks, nakona1

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
I think he was talking about several grid charge/discharge cycles iirc. To do that, you just take up the rear carpet, find the little two bolt cover in the top of the aluminum battery box, open and turn the switch off - after slipping off the little red safety. You will then be starting on the 12V battery, which will probably require a jump to start.

If you have the T30 tool you may as well remove the IPU cover and unplug the BCM plugs. That way you will have executed the full bypass and the dc-dc converter will now charge the 12V battery (i.e. the battery light on the dash should not be lit).

If it hasn't been started in 5 years, I'd take out the plugs and let it the engine turn over with no compression for 15-20 times to get some oil distributed into the bearings. You will want to do an oil/filter change asap. Obviously check the oil level in the engine before starting anything.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I tried to find the original post. In it, ol rowdy suggested turning off the I'ma switch and rejuvinating the system as it sat for 5 years. When I went to his link, I couldn't find how to do this. Any suggestions?

I am down by the car. Tips on how to do a double trans fluid change, should I drain and put in fresh coolant? I want this to be my last car! Thanks, nakona1
I think he was talking about several grid charge/discharge cycles iirc. To do that, you just take up the rear carpet, find the little two bolt cover in the top of the aluminum battery box, open and turn the switch off - after slipping off the little red safety. You will then be starting on the 12V battery, which will probably require a jump to start.
nakona1: I'm not sure if you bought the car or if you just want to see if it runs etc before buying it and driving it home.
A rejuvenation is going to take 4 or more days to do so I would switch the IMA battery switch OFF, see if the 12 volt battery will take and hold a charge (if it also sat 5 years without being charged, it's probably shot). You may need to buy a new 12 volt battery to even start/drive the car.

After sitting that long the fuel pump may not want to run. When you turn the key ON without doing anything else you should hear the pump run for about 2 seconds to pressurize the fuel system. If you don't hear it running just (slowly) turn the key off and back on a few times and it might start running again. If the gas cap has been on tight for the 5 years the gas will probably still be good enough get the car started..

If you have the T30 tool you may as well remove the IPU cover and unplug the BCM plugs. That way you will have executed the full bypass and the dc-dc converter will now charge the 12V battery (i.e. the battery light on the dash should not be lit).

If it hasn't been started in 5 years, I'd take out the plugs and let it the engine turn over with no compression for 15-20 times to get some oil distributed into the bearings. You will want to do an oil/filter change asap. Obviously check the oil level in the engine before starting anything.
I agree with jime on all the above.

You don't need to remove the Tom Mix bar to take the IPU cover off. Just lift the carpet covering the bar enough so you can get at the few 10mm bolts that go through the rear lip of the bar and the IPU cover in addition to all the other bolts that hold the cover in place. There is also an 8mm bolt inside the IMA battery switch compartment that needs to be removed to take the cover off. Make sure you set the switch OFF again.

Search the forum to read about disabling the IMA battery for details how to do the above etc.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I wouldn’t say the battery is shot at all. Mine sat for four years. I discharged it a bit then charged it. Didn’t need to charge it for a whole year after that. I would change out the cvt fluids. Super easy, no different than performing an oil change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts