Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've looked under the hood of my used 2000 insight once. today i wanted to check the oil, because i'm in the habit of checking my 1990 civic oil quite often.

i can't get the lever to work? it seems kinda jammed...i've pulled (the lever inside the car) on it but it doesn't pop, it just kinda slides. then i go to the hood and lift on the lever and, nothing...

anyone have experience with this?

(i thought i was posting this is the problems/troubleshooting forum - but i gues it's stuck here in the general...whoops)

[Moderator insert, moved as indicated :)]

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi newInsight,

Try the tag team approach. One pulling on the release the other _gently_ pushing down then up on the hood. If it releases (let's hope so) then the rubber stoppers at each front corner of the hood need to be loosened. Their applying too much tension on the hood and latch for it to release properly.

If this doesn't work then its likely something in the release mechanism is broken or the hood is mis-aligned (accident damage :?: ) and will require repairs. Haven't looked to see just how difficult manual latch releasing may be, and it does vary with other Honda models. Post back with your results and I'll try and check into the procedure if needed.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Most likely you are not pulling the release far enough. I have to pull mine downward and out to get it all the way out, otherwise it won't open. Try pulling down and out and I think that will open it for you. Remember to push it all the way back in before you close the hood.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
problem solved

problem solved and the oil looks beautiful!!!

i wasn't pulling horizontal enough.

good to know... not an expected issue...different functionality than my last honda...(this was much more "plastic" - like, having to push the latch back in, before closing the hood!)

thanks everyone for the feedback!!!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I often have the opposite problem of not being able to close the hood. I have mine open daily for demos and stuff, and it's very embarrassing to not have it latch. The most common cause is that the release has not been pushed back towards the dash completely. Once it's nudged, the hood closes.

Also remember that maintenance specifies greasing the hood latch. Use a lithium based grease.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts