Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive removed my passenger side mirror and about done all I could with the front end to help with aero and mpg. Ive decided to start being more active in driving vs using cruse control set to 55mph.

The past few days Ive been letting the car coast more by using the ev mode technique to extend coasting if not maintain speed or even accelerate on some down grades. It seems 50mph is about tops and the slowest I am willing to go on i95.

Its a full time job to get and maintain. I did it for 5 miles. My commute to work ended above 80. Its normally at the low 70s. I think I will seriously consider installing a FAS switch to the injector wires to allow me to kill the motor or keep it from using fuel.

My previous mpg mile stones were done on back roads in Surry, VA where I use to live. The 79 mpg was done shortly after I got my car. Then the 96 mpg was after my enginer phev kit going for a cup of coffee.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
221 Posts
Congratulations! The best I have done is 72 mpg. This is at an average speed of 65 mph over a 30 mile trip. If you were to name the best mods that are easiest to implement to gain mpg would would they be? Obviously you have pulled all the stops on getting above 100.

W. Falicoff

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
No passenger mirror.............Ticket time.?
(haven't seen any posts about a back up camera cobb)

Willie

·
Registered
943 Posts
Legal issues aside it comes down to a willingness to compromise for the sake of fuel consumtion reduction.

I personally would not be willing to get rid of the passenger side mirror. There is a big fat blindspot on the rear passenger side and good placement of that nice large mirror Honda have given us means that it isn't a problem.

Quite frankly, without that passenger side mirror I would not regard the car as safe to use on anything bigger than a single-carriageway road.

I also don't think in-motion FAS is safe with our CVT transmission. Manual transmission is one thing where you can just bring up the clutch pedal and you're instantaneously in control. The Insight's CVT, where there is a delay from turning the key to the transmission re-engaging properly, is quite another. Would this be any better with a dedicated switch?

Another thing - what would an insurance company think of mods such as mirror removal or FAS switch? In the UK an insurer would be within their rights to refuse to pay out on a claim if they had not been told about modifications to the car that could affect the vehicle's safety features or value. If you did tell them, I would have thought the premium would go up considerably. See here: News : insurance claims refused after failure to disclose key facts - The AA

·
Registered
79 Posts
Legal issues aside it comes down to a willingness to compromise for the sake of fuel consumtion reduction.

I personally would not be willing to get rid of the passenger side mirror. There is a big fat blindspot on the rear passenger side and good placement of that nice large mirror Honda have given us means that it isn't a problem.

Quite frankly, without that passenger side mirror I would not regard the car as safe to use on anything bigger than a single-carriageway road.
I will grant you that one. Many modders get around the legal issue by putting an extra mirror inside the car, but that cannot do as well as the outside mirror at eliminating the blind spot you describe. Modders will counter that people drove cars for years without a passenger-side mirror, but I'm not convinced by that argument.

I also don't think in-motion FAS is safe with our CVT transmission. Manual transmission is one thing where you can just bring up the clutch pedal and you're instantaneously in control. The Insight's CVT, where there is a delay from turning the key to the transmission re-engaging properly, is quite another. Would this be any better with a dedicated switch?
I don't really buy this "loss of control" objection, however. Brakes and steering still work. The only thing "lost" is the ability to quickly accelerate ... why would that be such a loss, especially when going downhill? The only situation I can think of is when one is boxed into a lane by traffic in adjoining lanes and there is a runaway 18-wheeler looming in the rear-view mirror. Putting aside the rarity of this situation occurring, I submit that if traffic is heavy enough to box one into a lane in this situation, there will likely be traffic ahead preventing an escape by acceleration, no matter how quickly one is able to apply it. I suppose the ability to accelerate instantaneously might allow one to reach a gap in the traffic to allow a lane switch, but even that move is fraught with danger.

Another thing - what would an insurance company think of mods such as mirror removal or FAS switch? In the UK an insurer would be within their rights to refuse to pay out on a claim if they had not been told about modifications to the car that could affect the vehicle's safety features or value. If you did tell them, I would have thought the premium would go up considerably. See here: News : insurance claims refused after failure to disclose key facts - The AA
That's just crap! Insurers looking for every excuse in the book to avoid paying claims. Why on earth couldn't they have given the policyholders in each case the option of paying the extra money (including a penalty fee for the dishonesty) required to keep the policy in force? So much easier, and more lucrative as well, to pocket the premiums already paid and bankrupt the policyholder. Sure, they're "within their rights", but it's still crap, I say!

·
Registered
943 Posts
That's just crap! Insurers looking for every excuse in the book to avoid paying claims. Why on earth couldn't they have given the policyholders in each case the option of paying the extra money (including a penalty fee for the dishonesty) required to keep the policy in force? So much easier, and more lucrative as well, to pocket the premiums already paid and bankrupt the policyholder. Sure, they're "within their rights", but it's still crap, I say!
Crap it may be but that's the letter of the law in the UK. Insurers can and do use it to get out of paying out on claims. Get caught with undeclared mods after an accident and it's crap creek without a paddle time!

Regarding FAS - it's admittedly rare that you will need to accelerate going downhill. However the unexpected can and does happen. There are stupid / aggressive / unobservant drivers about and strange things happen.

I was rear-ended by a tradesman's van the year before last (before I had the Insight). As it happens the incident occurred on a slight uphill but it could just as easily happened downhill. Noticing the situation slighly earlier, having a more powerful car and / or planting my foot on the gas sooner could have prevented it (or at least reduced the impact). I was approaching a broken down bus on a dual carriageway in the overtaking lane at caution. A car driver pulled out in front of me to get around the bus so I had to slow down even more. Meanwhile the van driver (who originally had a more than adequate stopping gap) seemed not to have noticed the situation unfolding. Saw him coming in the rear-view mirror, realised he was going too fast and just had time to plant my head back on the headrest and foot on the gas before impact (no whiplash for me and only a bit of rear bumper damage - Yay!).

The comical thing was he was apparrently late for his physiotherapist appointment needed because of whiplash from somebody crashing into the back of him...

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not going to hash and rehash safety. Once upon a time reverse lamps, seat belts, air bags, ABS, turn signals, rear wipers, 3rd brake light, DRL, passenger side and rear view mirrors not to mention rear bumpers were all optional equipment on vehicles. Further back people use to walk where they needed to go or ride an animal.

If you actively use something and can not do with out, then I suggest you leave it in tact. You shouldn't do anything to your car that makes it a danger or hazard for YOU to drive.

Ive driven a lot of vehicles with 2+ wheels on it and at times no passenger or rear view mirror. With this circumstances you drive accordingly or not at all.

The only thing I used my passenger side mirror was for parking an inch against the drivers side of the big SUVS that park in the cross areas of the handicap parking places who didnt even had a handicap parking thing where I work. :D

The passenger side mirror seems to help more with driving around 45mph mpg and abouts. I cant see any actual benefit at 55mph. I may leave the drivers side intact unless I see a slick pair at the bone yard. I have an extra mirror on my rear view mirror since this change.

The biggest improvement to mpg is to adjust the nut behind the steering wheel. :D Yes, the way you drive plays a very important role. Turning off your power steering by removing the fuse only netted me 2mpg. :)

Next I would say using the sidewall psi on your tires and blocking 3/4 of your lower grill.

If you use the HVAC, I suggest not using the auto feature and use the least amount of heat you need in the winter and in the summer set it to LO and use the blower speed to make the interior of your vehicle warmer or cooler.

Next to pre or grid chagrinning your IMA battery you can also do this to your accessory battery. You can get a trickle charger from harbor freight for about 6 bucks and this will help on shorter trips, much like precharging your IMA battery.

The last thing Id suggest is a phev kit. Enginer or Jack sells the guts and you supply the batteries and charger for less than a grand. His kits use 48 volts. You can use 4 12 volt deep cycle batteries and for those batteries use 4 12 volt chargers like the one mentioned above.

The nice thing about the enginer kit is that it makes the car more drivable and you can drive in the left lane, go 70 mpg and still break 50mpg. :)Id also consider this if you think 5 more hp or a small turbo is in your future. At least you dont need premium fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
The 1988-1991 CRX HF did not come equipped with a right side mirror for aerodynamics. Drivers side and standard interior rear view only. The standard CRX and Civic had one though, along with thicker side windows. I think the CRX HF and 1st Gen Insight were the only two cars that Honda really ever put absolutely every effort into providing extreme MPG.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Grats! (I just found out a message can be too short to post)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ive tried a few time and was 103 mpg at the highest, in the mid 90s at the lowest. Its kind of a crap shoot as if you run the ima battery too low even with the phev kit it still charges the pack and that eats mpg. Not enough and you do not get that high of mpg.

I think once I add a second pack it would be easier and likely achievable for all with short trips as its my experience the IMA pack can hold a charge enough for 7 miles or less of dirving before it needs to be recharged. The phev kit just doesnt put out enough amps for extended ev use and thats what I did as I was on level surface.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The 1988-1991 CRX HF did not come equipped with a right side mirror for aerodynamics. Drivers side and standard interior rear view only. The standard CRX and Civic had one though, along with thicker side windows. I think the CRX HF and 1st Gen Insight were the only two cars that Honda really ever put absolutely every effort into providing extreme MPG.
My old 91 Civic DX had no passenger side mirror. and i learned to drive with that, and had no problems

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Cool, I didn't know they were the same. I wasn't saying that as if it was something bad. I know of a 1st Insight owner that has removed his right side rear mirror and replaced it with a camera but now never bothers to turn it on because it really isn't needed. It doesn't help if you get pulled over since the 1st gen insight included a right side mirror, it proves effort as a replacement.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Any chance that you could list all the mods and techniques that you have done to get to where you are on MPG on your Gen2? I have a Gen1 and Gen2 and just trying to get the most of our new Gen2.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With the enginer kit I can use mroe of EV mode, however its use is still limited to a few miles. Also we seem to have some sort of lean burn where you can maitnain 50 mph with light throttle and get 100mpg according to the mid screen.

I had to do it all for the 100 mpg run. Otherwise I just set the cruse control for 55mph and sit back and watch the mpg add up as in my you tube videos. :D

Grill blocking
Lowering
Switching lights to LED and HID
Disabiling DRLs.
Using econ and cruse control
Using pulse n glide technique
Pre charge your 12 volt battery before trips.
Add a PHEV kit to your ima system
use 0w20 oil when changing your engine oil
Tinging windows to less ac need
fully inflate tires to sidewall psi
if you buy new tires lookfor LLR and get oem size
Some say to remove the front license plate bracket or flip it upside down to partly block lower grill
Remove excess un-needed items from car
Combine trips, take routes with right turns and 45 mph speed limits

1 - 20 of 26 Posts