Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started with the punchline, since I can only type with my left hand right now. I am so not left handed.

Last week I had an episode. I suddenly lost my sense of balance while at WalMart. I decided to get something to drink, and couldn't walk a straight line. When I checked out, my speech was slurred. I was concerned, but I didn't have any of the classic signs of stroke, and the issues passed after I ate lunch. I felt fine, and went on with my day. The next day, i felt great, and put a couple hundred miles on the Insight. That night, I felt generally weak, and a bit nauseous. Still, the weakness wasn't on one side, and I felt better once I got home. I had trouble getting to sleep, but woke up early as usual feeling great.

About 11AM, I was tired from the lack of sleep the night before. I took a nap, and woke up before 1PM. Felt fine, ready to finish the day, just needed to pee. Just one problem. I couldn't sit up. The first couple of times, it was funny. Then I realized my right side was very weak. I got up, went to the bathroom, and figured I'd wait for it to pass. It then occurred to me that I was teetering on the edge. I could still speak, but slowly. If I got much weaker, I wouldn't get out the door. I got in the car and drove to the nearest hospital.

When you walk into the ER and tell them you're having a stroke, you get right to the front of the line. I got poked, prodded, and EKG'd. Repeated a bunch of words, squeezed fingers, pushed and pulled with hands and feet. They did a CT scan, then I saw the DR for the verdict. It's not a stroke, he said. Go home and rest, take an aspirin a day, take a statin, everything will be fine.

Everything wasn't fine. I went to the grocery store, and it seemed that every time I looked at my watch, another hour had passed. Felt like 5 minutes. People were staring at me. I kept getting weaker, so I went home, like the DR told me, and rested. It got worse. Much worse.

The next morning, I could barely use my right hand and leg. I had to go back to town to pick up my prescriptions, and ended up taking an ambulance from WalMart to the hospital. I requested to be taken to a different hospital, but ended up in the same ER. Different DR, more tests, same prognosis, no stroke. Go home and rest, in a couple of days you'll be fine. I went home.

By that night, I couldn't move anything on my right side. Half my body was paralyzed. I rested.

As it turns out, it was a stroke. Big surprise. Like I tell people, when a 51 year old man drives himself to a hospital, walks voluntarily into the ER and tells you he's having a stroke, TAKE HIM FREAKING SERIOUSLY! Guys won't do something like that on a whim.

I can now move my foot and fingers some, but that's a very long way from usefulness. I never lost my ability to speak, but my speech is slower and somewhat difficult. There's no numbness. Swallowing is odd... food is easy, but water is tricky.

I'll work my *** off to get my right side back. I'm glad my Insight didn't have a 5 speed during this, but that's still what I want in the future. Hopefully, my future will agree.

·
Super Moderator
4,694 Posts
Wow. Actually in a way you're a lucky guy. It could have been SO much worse. You did all of the right things. The ER let you down. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery. Please keep us posted.

Sam

·
3,641 Posts
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
freezin4
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing