Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I have a 2005 Insight with Automatic Transmission. With the large battery at full charge, when I come up to a complete stop, the ICE shuts down as it should and the green light flashes. The instant I lift my foot off the brake, even if I don't move the ICE starts back up. If I immediately press the brake again without moving it will not shut down. I can even roll a few feet forward and the ICE will still not shut down when I press the brake again and come to a stop. It would seem that a given RPM must be reached before the Auto Shut Stop becomes available again.
Is this a normal type operation for my insight?.
Thanks, Jackson

·
Registered
65 Posts
deceleartion below 20MPH is one of the triggers while braking. The moment you lift up the brake pedal the ICE may start up. (always negative acceleration should help you). Any positive and you're probably toast on keep the ICE off.

My fiance has an automatic carolla and I've seen her use Neutral in traffic and approaching lights.. might help with keeping your car from accelerating.

the manual has two or three others listed, I believe. If not I've seen them on this site as well.

I've been training my MT the difference between stopsigns, stoplights and traffic. But you've got to make each situation evident to your car. Also you've got an autostop switch hooked up to the key in the ignition too. :arrow: :) using that has helped me... a little.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Jackson

This is normal operation, your Insight will not auto-stop every time you come to halt, especially in stop-start traffic. There are several variables that must be met before the car will autostop, the ones that I can remember are engine temperature, A/C setting, IMA charge and interior temperature (read battery pack temperature). With regards to stop-start traffic presumably time since last auto-stop could also be a factor. Hopefully there is a comprehensive list somewhere on this site or in a manual. HTH.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
My CVT has to achieve 8mph before auto stop will activate again.
It is normal for the CVT to startup immediately after the brake
pedal is released. Check out the "Idle Stop" in the chart shown here.
(CVT vs Manual Transmission)

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
65 Posts
With regards to stop-start traffic presumably time since last auto-stop could also be a factor.
My auto stop stops in seconds after it starts up sometimes in traffic, so I don't imagine time is a factor. I think it has more to do with reaching a certain speed 6/8 and then braking. I could be wrong but I wouldn't put money on time being a factor.

Also you've got an autostop switch hooked up to the key in the ignition too. using that has helped me... a little.
I meant use your key to turn the car on and off. Sorry, I like being facetious too much sometimes

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
A couple of other autostop limiters is Battery SoC, thermal limits, and most commonly brake booster reserve vacuum. There is a vacuum sensing switch in the booster line. If there isn't enough vacuum present the care will either fail an autostop or auto _start_. :)

Joeatslo said:
Also you've got an autostop switch hooked up to the key in the ignition too. using that has helped me... a little.

I meant use your key to turn the car on and off. Sorry, I like being facetious too much sometimes
We call it a forced auto stop ;) <and I call this me being precisely obnoxious> :twisted:

HTH! :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
for the CVT insight:
*get it over 8mph to re-enable auto stop
*get it over 19mph to re-enable fuel cut mode
*don't roll the car back or forward when in auto stop. even creeping along slowly at - what the car thinks is - 0mph, after a foot or two, the ICE will turn on
*put the car in L if you want to keep the ICE on for a second while coming to a stop (good for those onramp stop lights. you drop below 8mph, but only for a second, no need to restart the motor!). don't forget to put it back in D when you step on the gas!

there is, however, a smarter auto-stop. i haven't quite figured it out, but i think if you slow down to auto-stop speeds and then brake (like on an uphill), the ICE will turn off about 10 seconds after you put your foot on the brake. however, i don't know at what speed this requires you to get up over, but it has happened to me in sub 20mph speeds. i think

1 - 9 of 9 Posts