Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am greatly considering getting a honda insight though a couple questions are still in my head, i commute 7 days a week, around 50 miles a day, and 5 of those days i have to go up one heck of a mean hill. Another problem is i am 6'6", which makes buying cars very difficult for me. From you drivers out there would there be enough room for me? and will it be able to take that hill as well as my 97 volvo 850 (minus the 19mpg average i get)?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm 6-5 and have no complaints. I have drive my insight in the mountains with no complaints. If the battery starts getting low just downshift. I do take much longer drives however and the hills will definitely lower your fuel economy. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am 6’5”, 36” inseam…so I feel some of your pain. A few of my observations with the Insight (compared to my 87 CRX and other cars)…

Versus the CRX, the insight offers a more “chair-like” or “upright” seating position. In the CRX you sit low to the floor with legs stretched straight out in front. The Insight if more of a bent-knee type of arrangement. I fit “OK” but the dash is much closer than the CRX. If I am ever hit in the front, I will definitely be buying a new dash and probably a new set of knees and shins. I also recline the seat back quite a ways (as far as it will go in both cars) With the non-airbag CRX, I just cut the old steering wheel off of the column and welded in a 3” extension to put the wheel within easy reach. Because the Insight is air-bag equipped, I’m a bit hesitant, but may wind up doing something anyway because the wheel is pretty far up there…I wind up driving with my arms fully extended and elbows locked. One mod I do intend to make soon is to put some type of blocks under the front of the seats. Because of the bent knee driving described above my butt touches the seat, but thighs are pretty much unsupported. Lastly, I don’t think I’m hallucinating but it certainly seems that there is less leg room on the passenger side. I’m pretty sure this is due to the computer stuffed under the floor, but it definitely seems more cramped.

To sum it up, the CRX (strangely for such a small car) is one of the more leg-roomy cars I have driven…with a few cuts and welds, it gives me a great driving position. The Insight is on par with most new cars, but because of a different driving position, crumple zones, and air-bag deployment space, it definitely has a different “feel”. I’m not opposed to cutting and welding to get a driving position I like…but may be a little more delicate in the insight with ½ pound of rocket fuel setting in the steering wheel. The best would be to go test drive one and see how it fits your body style and expectations.

As for the hill, it shouldn’t be too big of a deal…it will be all downhill when you go home, right!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm 6'4" with a 44" outseam. The car is very comfortable for me. I am only 185lbs, tho.

My fat *** uncle who is 6'5", 290lbs bitches to no end when he has to get in my car. Every time he gets out he tears the bottom of the door plastic paneling cause he can't lift his legs like a normal person. I love the guy, but his weight's the problem, not the car.

With that said, I don't recommend the car for large, overweight people.

I can barely(very uncomfortable) fit in my dad's 2004 Prius.

-Bob

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm not very tall, but I deal with some mountainous terain on my commute. Seems whatever I loose mileage-wise on the way up I regain on the way down. My lifetime average is 60mph, but now at the 3,000 mile mark and with the warm weather I seem to be getting around 70 all the time.

The thing zips up the hills pretty well with a little downshifting. If you can fit I think you'll be pretty happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive seen the prius at a local auto show, and needless to say, it was rather difficult to get into, and even more difficult to get out of, i also have that car to thank for some of the more embarrasing pictures of me out and about. As for that hill, hmm, hard thinking of how to get its ratio right, the steepest ill take is a 1000 foot climb in a quarter mile, but thats if i really want to take the fun road, and from what you guys have said, unless its pikes peak, nothing to worry about. I am not very light, 250lbs, but my height is the reason for that, would probably remount the seats in it anyways, since i have to with most cars. Borrowed my grandma's 03 civic ex, i fit really well in that. So ill be scheduling a test drive for middle of next week.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Rebiaiku said:
.... i also have that car to thank for some of the more embarrasing pictures of me out and about.
OK, i think we need to hear more about that...
:wink:

Rebiaiku said:
As for that hill, hmm, hard thinking of how to get its ratio right, the steepest ill take is a 1000 foot climb in a quarter mile, but thats if i really want to take the fun road,......
Surely your estimate is a little off, otherwise what you really should be test driving is a Hummer! (the real one)!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Rebiaiku-

Volvos are very nice cars for larger than average people. They fit well. The fit of an Insight will definitely be snug for you. As far as remounting the seats; maybe someone here has experience with this but there is certainly not much available space (if any) behind or below the drivers seat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess the best thing would be to go and test drive one, i fit in civics really well, even better then in my volvo, angle of seat or something like that, do love my volvo, yet i added up my gas bill, $50 a week, $200 a month or more, and thats not even that many miles, if i could hold the mpg on a hybrid to 50, i would be able to have double the car payment, and still save money each month. And since i am a college student, more money i save the better, and helping out the enviroment is good as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Rebiaiku, you will probaly fit in the car but how comfortable you will be is another matter indeed. I'm 6'5"and I have a 36" waist and a 35" inseam. I have noticed for quite some time now that anyone with much greater waist size than myself would be sitting on the side wings of the bottom of the seat which would be fairly uncomfortable. The flat area of the bottom of the seat isn't very wide.

·
Registered
76 Posts
6'10", 38" inseam. i fit in the insight better than i fit in my '93 civic, which is a nearly excellent fit, all things considered...

would be nice if i could adjust the steering wheel up vertically like in the '93, but in despite of its non-adjustability, i can see completely all the stuff on the gauges.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts