Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 2005 Blue CVT delivered last night. It's set to go in for window tint on Tuesday and I've already got a K&N air filter coming in for it. What "must do's" do you guys recommend. I would like to find a cargo mat for the hatch area to throw my muddy running shoes on. A dashmat and seat covers would be nice too. I'll get around to the stereo in the next couple of months I hope. How do those that have it like the satellite radio? I've also got to look into a roof rack to carry my bike(s) on. Does anyone have any suggestions for any of these items? My wife also just bought a Civic Hybrid too so the gas wars are on but I think I got her number. Thanks to everyone this list has already been a big help. By the way, because of this list I bought the 100,000 mile warranty (I don't want to buy that battery).

Thanks Again,
Todd West

·
Registered
224 Posts
Todd,

Roof racks will be a challenge for the Insight. I doubt that anything commercial is available.
I have a few designs on the "drawing board", but for now, my kayaks, canoes, and sailboards are still riding on custom roof racks for the mini-van.

One bike (without fenders) fits easily inside of the Insight, and I've hauled two on several occasions with some minor discomfort to the passenger (especially if they are tall). Only the front wheel(s) need to be removed. Send me a PM if you'd like details and/or photos.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good to hear that you received your new Insight, hope you enjoy it.

I'm hoping this is an indication that a new shipment has arrived from Japan. I'm waiting on a '05 5-speed, has to be railed to Houston.

Already received my stainless steel footrest from Jim Holmgren, it's a quality piece. (Thanks, Jim!)

Maybe I'll be receiving a call from the dealer soon!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Roof rack for bikes...

Au contraire. Saris makes a rack kit for the Insight.

I'd recommend dealing with the stereo first and the cargo mat second unless you're an off-road cyclist. :) http://www.handaaccessories.com (maybe one less "a") had good deals on mats.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sorry, I have to recommend the first modification be the free cardboard block that will get anyone an instant 10 MPG boost. It should be standard equipment on the Insight.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info

Hawk I hate to tell you this but they told me this is one of three 2005 Insights in California. Every dealer I called said "good luck" or "why don't you want a Civic Hybrid?"

I've had the Saris site bookmarked but I'm still trying to handle parting with $400-$500 to get set up. I do own mtn bikes plus I'm in the market for a high end road bike that I'm not going to want to throw in the back of the car. The floor and cargo mats are on there way from http://www.handa-accessories.com/. I just hope they match the beige interior.

The stereo is hurtin for certin. I found some real nice (see $300) Polk mids and tweets from Crutchfield. Again it woould be real easy to spend $1000 or better on the stereo. I've already been eyeing the spare tire well. There's lots of room down there.

As far as the "cardboard block" I'll have to do a search for that one as I haven't run across that one yet.

Thanks for all the tips,
Todd

·
Registered
129 Posts
Todd,

Although I do not think you mentioned this, floor mats are a must. The carpeting is thin and will wear quickly without floor mats, especially if you have a 5-speed. I bought my Insight used, and the cheap universal floor mats from Meijer slide around a lot and don't cover the entire area well, so the carpeting where I use the clutch is getting a bit worn. I think I'll break down and pay the $80 for official Insight dealer floor mats that snap? into the floor. It's well worth the money in my opinion.

Rob

PS: Cheap cargo mats on ebay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts