Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2000 Insight in spring of 2003. I joined Insight Central when I was researching the car before I decided to buy it. In the summer of 2003, through the Insight Central forum, I organized an Insight meet in a park in Toronto, Ontario and I believe 6 Insights and their owners showed up. I met lots of cool people there.

February 2004, I invited some friends from Insight Central to take the Winter Car Control School in Minden Ontario to learn collision avoidance in ice and snow conditions. I'm an in-car instructor for that company a few days a month. Opal and Liam took the the course, they car pooled and shared Opal's Insight during the driving exercises. Liam did well, but Opal was clearly the best student that day. She was a natural at learning and applying the skills that were taught driving her Insight around cones with precision and control on sheer ice.

Fast forward to the spring of 2004 and I convinced Opal to come out to an autoslalom in Woostock and compete in her Insight. Opal drove her Insight and I drove my Insight in the autoslalom. She came in last place that day but she had so much fun she was hooked. In the next autoslalom we invited Aaron from Insight Central to come out and we had 3 silver Insights competiting in an Autoslalom! (I believe that may be a world record that has yet to be broken). Aaron did very well for his first time out and beat Opal. Aaron showed some typical rookie mistakes but having impressive enough lap times with stock tires to prove he has experience in performance driving (with his RX7 collection).

Opal and I competed in many autoslaloms over many months as friends. Then we eventually started dating. 2005 we competed in autoslaloms together almost every single weekend from spring to fall. And we competed in race track time trials with the Insights as well. We went camping with friends on some hard-core canoe trips and survived.

For the 2006 It was Opal's idea to buy a track preped 1993 civic because it's a much better track car and it's much cheaper to fix if something broke. Well I wasn't sure if it was a good idea but the fact my girlfriend was suggesting to buy race car is not something that should be disaggreed with, because most guys would kill me if they heard I said no :D
So we split the cost and for the 2006 season Opal and I both drove the civic for autoslaloms and solosprints (race track time trials). In February we bought a house together in west end Toronto. I proposed in July, and we got married in October 2006. We have a car and half garage where the track civic hibernates all winter, and we have 2 silver Insights in our drive way.

For those that want read about our racing adventures or just see photos and videos check out our web site:
http://www.insightracing.ca/

Wedding photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/opal/sets/72157594339860429/

Photos of our honeymoon in San Francisco: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157594350915560/

Thank you Insight Central. Because of this forum I met my soul mate, my best friend, my wife, Opal.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Great story... may the Insightfulness be with you both

·
Registered
187 Posts
Congratulations and best wishes! October is a wonderful anniversary month :D and although Insight Central did not bring my hubby and me together, it certainly played a role in there being two Insights sharing our driveway!

All the best to you!!!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Thanks for the contribution you have both made to this site.

The odds of being a Canadian Insight driver are about 100,000 to one. The odds that two Canadian Insight drivers would meet, fall in love, and marry are astronomical. However, having had the pleasure of meeting you both, I'd call it destiny.

Congratulations! :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Congratulations to you both. I hadn't seen a post by Opal for a while, and wondered what happened.
The race car thing is too good to be true. Cool story.
robert

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congratulations, Opal and G! You make a really cute couple, and I'm sure you'll have a happy future with your really cute cars :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
insightful couple

Thanks for sharing your wedding photos. You both look so happy. I don't know you but it sounds as if you had a great start and a lot in common.

G

·
0 Posts
What a great story! I bought my Insight first, and Kenn was so jealous he bought one a year and a half later. Certainly keeps us closer and keep s our driveway looking great with 2 Insights.

All the best to both of you!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Congratulation,
i had the priveleged to meet you two in 2005, very happy for you and best wishes, cheers :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts