Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased 06 Red Insight CVT..it is a sweet ride..really nice..
Do I need to do anything to the exterior to keep it from rock chips and tar from the road? Is the Zeibart Diamond Gloss a good idea to protect from these things? I would apreciate any advice to protect this nice ride ..? Thanks in advanced.. :D

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I would recommend getting a high quality clear bra put on by a professional. My Insight had a nack for picking up rock chips. Aside from a traditional vinyl type car bra this is the only thing that will help stop rock chips.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think the dealer protection packages are a rip-off. They don't guarantee
against any kind of paint chip. You can get good products to take care of your car off the shelf. The "bra" is a good idea. Just know that there could be some finish wear over time where the material vibrates against the paint. Maybe leave it off occationally based on trip conditions.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If we're talking about a dealer applied "paint protectant" from everything I've read or heard they are nothing special, they're just a wax like you can go buy at an auto parts store and apply yourself in 20 min and get the same result for 1/10 the price and still have plenty left over to apply again and again in the future. Nothing you or the dealership applies to the paint is really going to provide any protection against chips. What it will do is provide a sacraficial barrier to things like environmental fallout and everything else your car gets bombarded with every day.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The best option is the clear plastic film that is applied to the front of the car and hood. It's completely transparent so you don't see it. Opal has had this on her Insight since new and after 3 years it's done an amazing job at protecting the paint from stone chips.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/For_the/Consumer/Product_Info/

Most auto dealers offer this film for twice the price of the aftermarket shops. The film is custom cut for each type of car. shop around for the best deal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you can, get the clear vinyl protectant installed by a pro. I have an '04 I bought used and opted for a traditional Colgan bra, which covers up the existing chips, etc. It ran about $95. One thing to bear in mind, the Insight sits extremely low compared to most other cars and is prone to getting pelted relentlessly by other vehicles. The windshield on mine is very heavily pitted with tiny chips and will most likely have to be replaced. Not much one can do about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cruise Control added at Zeibart and perfect bra ordered

I had cruise control put on at Zeibart for $421..they used the Rostra brand and used some yesterday and works well..will let you know how it effects the MPG..Car bra ordered and on the way..What is other drivers using to protect the paint? Is the paint a clear coat on the 06 insight? Should I use any special paint sealant..so many on the market? I have been looking the the Zano line of products? I would appreciate any other advice? :D

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yes the paint on almost all new cars is clear coat, but reguardless of single or multiple stage paint it should have a protective wax applied regularly. It is a bit daunting with all that's available out there. Personally I use Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax. It has given me the best results of anything I have tried. The good thing about Meguiars is if you don't like the product they guarantee it and will refund your money if you don't like it. Zaino I've never used and is probably a good product with a lot of loyal followers. The one thing I have heard about it is rather expensive and they tell you to use their products in "layers" which from what I understand really can't happen and is just a waste of product more than anything.

Of course you will find something you will like, and quoting someone from a Meguiar's Forum, "Find something you like and use it often."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts