Honda Insight Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 2554 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
I didn't "choose" red. I got it from 3-Wheeler, who has a red car. Eventually the car and tail will be repainted Citrus.

Sam

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ah, that makes a little more sense, then. Apparently, that which I initially thought might have been by choice, was merely a pigment of my imagination.

·
Linsight Designer
1,799 Posts
Austin, TX: Saw two G1s (red & silver) in the same parking lot, on Burnet road. Both drivers were waiting behind each other at a traffic light, so I ran over and knocked on the window to say hello. They were ic.net members.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Driving I5 to CA saw a red Insight going 55, first time near Cottage Grove then again south of Red Bluff after I had gotten gas and stopped to walk the dog in a park. Who is this? He is from Oregon as I and I also have a ired g1

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Pictures attached.

Sam
Do you have any numbers related to the MPG improvement with the boat tail? I remember 3-Wheeler's thread where he was basically saying he never brings it on the highway. I'm mostly curious if it makes consistent lean-burn easier in the 70-78mph range with air conditioning off in calm warm weather.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Spotted this blue car turning from East side of Warren Road onto York Road heading South at about 9 AM last Wednesday. Burned-up a few MPG to catch up with it, just as it was turning into the Honda dealership there on York Road in Cockeysville. Honked and waved as I passed, I think the guy registered it but didn't see him wave back.

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
Do you have any numbers related to the MPG improvement with the boat tail? I remember 3-Wheeler's thread where he was basically saying he never brings it on the highway. I'm mostly curious if it makes consistent lean-burn easier in the 70-78mph range with air conditioning off in calm warm weather.
It would be pretty impossible to get meaningful numbers to compare. I think I remember that 3-Wheeler calculated the aerodynamic efficiency to be +16%. My general feeling (butt dyno) is that MPG is up around 10%. It goes into lean burn easier, at higher speeds, and stays longer. Don't count on it at 78MPH, though. I am seeing 70MPG tanks more often than I used to. OTOH, under some wind conditions it doesn't feel much better. I had 97.3MPG over 97.3 miles under ideal conditions. I also had a run of 51.5MPG over 200 miles doing everything wrong: headwind, 75-80MPH, some AC use, and using cruise control.

Sam

·
Registered
96 Posts
It would be pretty impossible to get meaningful numbers to compare. I think I remember that 3-Wheeler calculated the aerodynamic efficiency to be +16%. My general feeling (butt meter) is that MPG is up around 10%.
Sam
Agreed. Most people's butt-dyno readings/perceptions, tend to be a tad skewed. To get anything even remotely revealing or accurate, one would need to get a bunch of people together, ones that have similar car rear adornments, and take a tad poll.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Agreed. Most people's butt-dyno readings/perceptions, tend to be a tad skewed. To get anything even remotely revealing or accurate, one would need to get a bunch of people together, ones that have similar car rear adornments, and take a tad poll.
If we were in the same room, I wouldn't know whether to hug you or slap you. Well done... :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well it happened, I had an twInsighting!

In the quaint latin town of Dalton, GA an Insight passed opposite me on the north bypass. I might have lost it if I'd have been in my matching silver Insight.

Unfortunately, I was in the gas hog...

·
Registered
4 Posts
(In response to Red Demon) I live in Eugene and see a red one around West Eugene sometimes. Could have been the same one you saw near Cottage Grove (only 30 miles away). Mine is a (non-factory and ugly) green one.

·
Super Moderator
7,511 Posts
There are techniques involving short "trips" and frequent resetting of the FCD which will yield reasonable data, say +/- a couple of percent error. Those over on CleanMPG have used A-B-A testing to measure aero improvements with some repeatability on "normal" cars. For example, the improvement by removing both mirrors has consistently shown about a 3% improvement.

I tend to look to Hucho's huge compendium on aerodynamics to get a rough idea on aero improvements, though someone pointed out to me that muchof the information is outdated.

Obviously, Lean Burn on the Insight complicates matters a bit, but if the test course is carefully chosen, and the driving technique is consistent then one can sometimes verify improvements. Try a 90% grill blockage using precut panels and duct tape for the "B" portion. Guarantee you will see improvement in measured MPG.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Try a 90% grill blockage using precut panels and duct tape for the "B" portion. Guarantee you will see improvement in measured MPG.
Crazy air molecules; dey cray-cray. Try'na act all hip-hop, 'n git up in ma grill. Ah tho down'a gang sign, wit'a grill block, 'n lowuh ma CD. Das how ah roll, cous'. Word.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Saw a silver CVT yesterday at a Cabella's parking lot in Michigan

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Saw a red Insight driving near the Ralph's at Main and Harvard in Irvine, just a "block" from my house! First time seeing that one. Too far to wave, plus was in my other car at the time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I saw a blue G1 at the parking lot of Pastimes Grill in Worthington, Ohio.

This well used specimen was unusual in that it had what looked like a ceramic duck head of some sort attached to the end of the shifter!

Being so unique, I thought it might have been spotted before. A search on this site didn't give any results.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Just saw the back end of an Insight in an unrelated video on YouTube for a few frames at 4:36 minutes.

[ame]https://youtu.be/ykX4B-KOjYQ?t=276[/ame]

·
Registered
551 Posts
Cleetus McFarland! I think one of the "Boosted Boiz" owns that.

Seems lots of "car guys" grok the Insight. Another example is Rob Dahm, who when not building (or rebuilding) his three- and four-rotor high-power RX-7's is tooling around town in his red MT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvygy2IFfBI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1R6ct7eR-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl5XcrpVblM

·
Registered
32 Posts
insighting on I5 near Salem Oregon note the wheel wells

Saw in sight on I-5 near Salem, Silver with had cut out wheels in back and dent on passenger door. IMG_20190624_164317.jpg

2481 - 2500 of 2554 Posts