Honda Insight Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 2534 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
I didn't "choose" red. I got it from 3-Wheeler, who has a red car. Eventually the car and tail will be repainted Citrus.

Sam

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ah, that makes a little more sense, then. Apparently, that which I initially thought might have been by choice, was merely a pigment of my imagination.

·
Linsight Designer
1,774 Posts
Austin, TX: Saw two G1s (red & silver) in the same parking lot, on Burnet road. Both drivers were waiting behind each other at a traffic light, so I ran over and knocked on the window to say hello. They were ic.net members.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Driving I5 to CA saw a red Insight going 55, first time near Cottage Grove then again south of Red Bluff after I had gotten gas and stopped to walk the dog in a park. Who is this? He is from Oregon as I and I also have a ired g1

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Pictures attached.

Sam
Do you have any numbers related to the MPG improvement with the boat tail? I remember 3-Wheeler's thread where he was basically saying he never brings it on the highway. I'm mostly curious if it makes consistent lean-burn easier in the 70-78mph range with air conditioning off in calm warm weather.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Spotted this blue car turning from East side of Warren Road onto York Road heading South at about 9 AM last Wednesday. Burned-up a few MPG to catch up with it, just as it was turning into the Honda dealership there on York Road in Cockeysville. Honked and waved as I passed, I think the guy registered it but didn't see him wave back.

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
Do you have any numbers related to the MPG improvement with the boat tail? I remember 3-Wheeler's thread where he was basically saying he never brings it on the highway. I'm mostly curious if it makes consistent lean-burn easier in the 70-78mph range with air conditioning off in calm warm weather.
It would be pretty impossible to get meaningful numbers to compare. I think I remember that 3-Wheeler calculated the aerodynamic efficiency to be +16%. My general feeling (butt dyno) is that MPG is up around 10%. It goes into lean burn easier, at higher speeds, and stays longer. Don't count on it at 78MPH, though. I am seeing 70MPG tanks more often than I used to. OTOH, under some wind conditions it doesn't feel much better. I had 97.3MPG over 97.3 miles under ideal conditions. I also had a run of 51.5MPG over 200 miles doing everything wrong: headwind, 75-80MPH, some AC use, and using cruise control.

Sam

·
Registered
86 Posts
It would be pretty impossible to get meaningful numbers to compare. I think I remember that 3-Wheeler calculated the aerodynamic efficiency to be +16%. My general feeling (butt meter) is that MPG is up around 10%.
Sam
Agreed. Most people's butt-dyno readings/perceptions, tend to be a tad skewed. To get anything even remotely revealing or accurate, one would need to get a bunch of people together, ones that have similar car rear adornments, and take a tad poll.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Agreed. Most people's butt-dyno readings/perceptions, tend to be a tad skewed. To get anything even remotely revealing or accurate, one would need to get a bunch of people together, ones that have similar car rear adornments, and take a tad poll.
If we were in the same room, I wouldn't know whether to hug you or slap you. Well done... :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well it happened, I had an twInsighting!

In the quaint latin town of Dalton, GA an Insight passed opposite me on the north bypass. I might have lost it if I'd have been in my matching silver Insight.

Unfortunately, I was in the gas hog...

·
Registered
4 Posts
(In response to Red Demon) I live in Eugene and see a red one around West Eugene sometimes. Could have been the same one you saw near Cottage Grove (only 30 miles away). Mine is a (non-factory and ugly) green one.

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
There are techniques involving short "trips" and frequent resetting of the FCD which will yield reasonable data, say +/- a couple of percent error. Those over on CleanMPG have used A-B-A testing to measure aero improvements with some repeatability on "normal" cars. For example, the improvement by removing both mirrors has consistently shown about a 3% improvement.

I tend to look to Hucho's huge compendium on aerodynamics to get a rough idea on aero improvements, though someone pointed out to me that muchof the information is outdated.

Obviously, Lean Burn on the Insight complicates matters a bit, but if the test course is carefully chosen, and the driving technique is consistent then one can sometimes verify improvements. Try a 90% grill blockage using precut panels and duct tape for the "B" portion. Guarantee you will see improvement in measured MPG.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Try a 90% grill blockage using precut panels and duct tape for the "B" portion. Guarantee you will see improvement in measured MPG.
Crazy air molecules; dey cray-cray. Try'na act all hip-hop, 'n git up in ma grill. Ah tho down'a gang sign, wit'a grill block, 'n lowuh ma CD. Das how ah roll, cous'. Word.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Saw a silver CVT yesterday at a Cabella's parking lot in Michigan

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Saw a red Insight driving near the Ralph's at Main and Harvard in Irvine, just a "block" from my house! First time seeing that one. Too far to wave, plus was in my other car at the time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I saw a blue G1 at the parking lot of Pastimes Grill in Worthington, Ohio.

This well used specimen was unusual in that it had what looked like a ceramic duck head of some sort attached to the end of the shifter!

Being so unique, I thought it might have been spotted before. A search on this site didn't give any results.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Just saw the back end of an Insight in an unrelated video on YouTube for a few frames at 4:36 minutes.

[ame]https://youtu.be/ykX4B-KOjYQ?t=276[/ame]

·
Registered
554 Posts
Cleetus McFarland! I think one of the "Boosted Boiz" owns that.

Seems lots of "car guys" grok the Insight. Another example is Rob Dahm, who when not building (or rebuilding) his three- and four-rotor high-power RX-7's is tooling around town in his red MT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvygy2IFfBI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1R6ct7eR-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl5XcrpVblM

·
Registered
15 Posts
insighting on I5 near Salem Oregon note the wheel wells

Saw in sight on I-5 near Salem, Silver with had cut out wheels in back and dent on passenger door. IMG_20190624_164317.jpg

2481 - 2500 of 2534 Posts
About this Discussion
2.5K Replies
527 Participants
boogetyboogety
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing