Honda Insight Forum banner
2641 - 2660 of 2695 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just spotted a red 5MT insight at the campus Kwik Trip in Menomonie, WI.

I've lived here 9 years and never seen one locally. Bought one a week ago, and now spotted a fellow owner in town!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I saw a blue one turning left in front of me off the railroad overpass in north La Crosse last evening. Really zipping along, too! @M.Liston - that you?

I was enjoying my drive home in Lazarus, trying to bump up the economy after loaning the car to my son for a day. That kid has a lead foot.

- Park

·
Registered
2000 MT
145 Posts
Saw one at work (Mercedes-Benz of Pittsburgh) this morning. I have heard a rumor that if its the one I am thinking of it has 750k+ miles on it.

EDIT:

spoke with the owner, not on IC.NET but does the work himself, original engine, has had multiple CVT put in though. a couple battery packs. Mileage is impressive. Drives 1000-1600 miles a week for work.

·
Registered
494 Posts
That is amazing!!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I didn’t get to see it in person yet, but my friend spotted one down here in San Antonio last week at Fort Sam Houston! I’ll get the pic uploaded shortly.
I’ll be over there this weekend and will have to do some exploring!

·
Linsight Designer
2,457 Posts
spoke with the owner, not on IC.NET but does the work himself, original engine, has had multiple CVT put in though. a couple battery packs. Mileage is impressive. Drives 1000-1600 miles a week for work.
View attachment 90566
I do believe 884658 miles on the odometer is the new record. You need to get that old crusty captain on this forum so he can share his wisdom. Assuming he's owned it since new and it's a MY2000, he's put 121 miles on the car every single day for 20 years. If we instead assume he works 220 days per year, that's 201 miles per work day for 20 years.

I wonder what life situation has him living 2 hours from work.

·
Registered
2000 MT
145 Posts
Correct, CVT, I do believe that it is an 2001. He used to drive it year round when he lived in FL but since moving up north it's a 3 season car. No winter driving. even still last year he said he put on 50-56k miles. It's an insane number. He fills up in OH with ethanol free 87 octane, so I'm sure that helps with the mpg number some. But beyond that, and regular maintenance (I believe he uses OEM parts when available), he just drives it. Claims never to have done a valve adjustment, I heard it run and it doesn't sound that bad in terms of valvetrain noise. I mentioned Scotts springs, and gaz rear shocks and I think he is sold.

·
Linsight Designer
2,457 Posts
You should definitely see if he'll join IC.net... it'll make him fall in love with the car again (assuming he's not in love already). In regards to valve adjustments, I've done them at the specified service intervals in several cars, and have never found one more than a thou beyond the limits. IMO it's not worth the effort, although I know KYL3CYL will disagree... he's serviced quite a few more G1s than I have, and when I mentioned this to him at ICF a few years back, he mentioned my results are not typical.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh man, I thought I was doing good with a CVT with 440, and this guy just rolls up with twice that.
At least it means I get to pretend my car will last that long, and not be taken apart at 500k for celebratory projects.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I saw a blue one turning left in front of me off the railroad overpass in north La Crosse last evening. Really zipping along, too! @M.Liston - that you?

I was enjoying my drive home in Lazarus, trying to bump up the economy after loaning the car to my son for a day. That kid has a lead foot.

- Park
Yep. On the way to work.

BTW, the new current hack let me go up that in 3rd gear about 35mph, and still maintain 50mpg per the gauge

Edit, the car was naked. Just did the rear right brake line, left the udnerpaneling, wheel center caps, and rear skirts off in case I had to do any insepctions.

But no fluid loss, so the pwoered vacuum bleeder saved the ABS from creating air pockets!

Reactions: MparkH

·
Registered
289 Posts
I saw a Citrus, while driving my Citrus, earlier this week. He was waiting at the southbound light on 16 when I turned off the causeway in north La Crosse. Older gentleman with glasses. The back of his car is covered with stickers. I’ve seen the car around town a couple of times but never managed to meet the guy.

Per capita (and apart from you folks who personally own a parking lot full of Insights) I think La Crosse, WI is surprisingly endowed with Insights.

- Park

·
Registered
2005 NAVY BLUE PEARL CVT
68 Posts
Spotted a BLUE insight at the intersection of EAST WEST BOULEVARD and ROUTE 2 in SEVERNA PARK/MILLERSVILLE area in Maryland. We both waved and he TURNED North onto the Route 10/100 West ramp. Anyone in or near ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY in Maryland? Chris

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
When taken care of they're pretty reliable. That's why I picked one up for work. Things are slow if I put on less than 75k miles in a year so I wanted something that I could just have completely gone over and once that was done expect mainly oil changes and not much else. I'm probably going to consider having some parts that commonly fail done when the transmission is done. I'm thinking a master cylinder for the clutch is pretty important since I've heard of them failing a lot.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I see Gen1 Insights a couple times a month but this one was something different on our CA-2 cruise. Haven't seen a bike rack. Is this someone on the site?

2641 - 2660 of 2695 Posts