Honda Insight Forum banner
2881 - 2900 of 2912 Posts

·
and two dogs
391 Posts
Saw another citrus in Shropshire!

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Well, Philip got in touch and was only 20 miles away, so I popped by to compare mods over a coffee.

They are virtually sister cars. Mine is #32 and his is #37 (or thereabouts).

He's an engineer and has done a load of work on it. His roof trims are off for the inevitable leaking seam fix, and the garage includes a part rebuild gearbox and a spare battery. Interestingly, he has gone full stealth mode and deleted ALL tailgate stickers, while I have not.

Oh, and check out those optional bumper corner rubbers. Apparently fitted from new. Not seen those in the flesh/rubber before.
Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
and two dogs
391 Posts
Where did you get the LiBCM sticker?
I had some made up for the UK installations (if required), from a standard online vinyl lettering supplier.
Arial Rounded MT bold was closest to the font Honda used for 'Gasoline Electric'
I recommend paying more for the "high performance vinyl for vehicle graphics, window decals, and long term applications".

Rectangle Pink Font Material property Magenta

Reactions: DW_CT9A and bbcb

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I've only seen these in diagrams, never actual photos of them mounted on the car! Reminds me of the 96-98 Civics that had them integrated into the bumper.

I was noticing new dings in the bumper yesterday... I was in WalMart today and saw these "boat fenders" and thought, "hmm, I should get one for the front and another for the back, hook them to ropes and tie them to the car when parallel parking in the city." Saw these posts this evening. Went to look for a photo of the "boat fenders" I saw at WalMart and instead hit the jackpot - boat fenders for every color of Insight ever made!

and to attach them to the car, these suction cups + caribiners. I bought them to try out some ideas for making a rear hatch tent and needed on-car tie-downs. But they'd work for hooking the boat fenders to when parking in "hostile locations". (the photo below sucked in by the forum sofware isn't correct)

·
Registered
108 Posts
@UK_MJN
#32 looks incredible. The other Citrus too, but the wheels on #32 are one of the few aftermarket offerings I've seen that compliment these cars. I don't recognize them- mind sharing what they are?

In a way, they remind me of the small, rare, light, and aero-friendly Fortran Asso. I'd love to find a set of these but it's pretty difficult, and the more modern look of the wheels on #32 works better for the ZE1.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

·
and two dogs
391 Posts
#32 looks incredible. The other Citrus too, but the wheels on #32 are one of the few aftermarket offerings I've seen that compliment these cars. I don't recognize them- mind sharing what they are?

In a way, they remind me of the small, rare, light, and aero-friendly Fortran Asso. I'd love to find a set of these but it's pretty difficult, and the more modern look of the wheels on #32 works better for the ZE1.
Thank you for that!
I had my old wheels recut but they inevitably corrode when used all year round and not garaged. So I went to a local wheel shop (Image) with a drawing very much like the CR-X you show and this was the closest standard CNC wheel centre they had. It's a 3 part split rim so I can change the offset, rim width etc. I opted for 'chrome' powder coat but considered a gold centre. It's just about the easiest wheel to clean ever made and no sharp edges. The centre cap/emblems were a few quid on eBay.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

EDIT: I should mention that, with custom made wheels, you need to specify not just the bolt diameter and total rim width and offset, but also the brake caliper protrusion, so there is clearance behind the centre. And what finishes you want on the centre and rim. And what colour bolts you want. And if you want them outside or inside (as here). You can take a wheel along for them to measure of course, and tell them where you want to deviate from OEM - they can make sure it will work. Centrelock could be cool.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Awesome.
Would not have guessed that was a multi-piece wheel. As much as I love a good 3 piece motorsports wheel the hidden fasteners definitely were the way to go here. Really clean and aero-slippery look. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I dig em! They remind me of the "manhole cover" wheels found on Porsche 928s, but with a slight vintage flair with the lip.

·
and two dogs
391 Posts
Would not have guessed that was a multi-piece wheel. As much as I love a good 3 piece motorsports wheel the hidden fasteners definitely were the way to go here.
Yup, bolt fasteners on the inside:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2004 New Formula Red MT
11 Posts
Driving on the expressways in Louisville this weekend and this guy in his silvertone gets on just ahead of me. I pull up in my red and wave at the dude. Dude looks over shocked and sorta waves back, almost drops his cig, then we were sorta racing for while till switched lanes and he took off fast. Wonder if his is a K-Sight? ;)

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

2881 - 2900 of 2912 Posts