Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The three ground cables under the hood looked pretty sad so I upgraded them. I have some left over 1/0 welding cables from other projects so I used those. The welding cables are all copper, and yes, slightly heavier. I'll have to remove the 4th cable and see how it looks before I determine if I want to upgrade it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yup, when/if I ever need to change mine, that's what I'll use. It makes terrific battery cables.

Highly recommended if you're handy (as most of us are) and can make them up yourself.
-Don

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,716 Posts
There is actually four.
Power steering rack/pinion to chassis.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
the 4th one does little to nothing, so i wouldn't lose any sleep over it. people just like to feel better about remembering that it exists.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I need to do this badly.

Would it help with longevity if you also used copper ends, er uhh nut lugs or what ever they're called? Or would that not really matter being it's just getting bolted to a dis-similar metal anyways?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I need to do this badly.

Would it help with longevity if you also used copper ends, er uhh nut lugs or what ever they're called? Or would that not really matter being it's just getting bolted to a dis-similar metal anyways?
I used tin plated copper terminal ends.

10 Lot 1/0 Ring 1/4" Hole Terminal Lug Tin Plated Copper Uninsulated AWG Gauge | eBay

You can get full copper if you like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Lot-1-0-Ring-1-4-Hole-Terminal-Lug-Bare-Copper-Uninsulated-AWG-Gauge-/371153206383?hash=item566a747c6f:g:XsgAAOSwDk5UKZyW

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Nice. Any issues with the 1/0 stiffness on all but the battery ground?

Good news is you'll never have to deal with it again as long as you stay in AZ.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
all grounds and electrical component locations
[/url]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bLUyuFXWywH0PIzTXYtT6UprBNkOtjnWh5PFKjDFylA/pubhtml?gid=119037046&single=true
^^
Here's a mobile phone size formatted spreadsheet link showing all the grounds in the vehicle. Links pictures, and grounds distribution pdf from the repair manual. fwiw: Crisper photo's. :D
fwiw: held for a year. I repaired my broken ground cable [surprising no CEL] by retwisting and recrimping the stock cable , cleaning terminal and connection etc .... and all was ok, until it let go like a guitar string breaking one day accelerating off a light from standing start in first gear. [fwiw: still no code]
Wondering is the 0/1 cable in the pic CCA copper coated aluminum?? [noting shiny parts in the cut view]

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nice. Any issues with the 1/0 stiffness on all but the battery ground?
The welding cables are surprisingly soft.

Wondering is the 0/1 cable in the pic CCA copper coated aluminum?? [noting shiny parts in the cut view]
Mine are all copper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-039-EXCELENE-1-0-WELDING-AND-BATTERY-CABLE-BLACK-USA-/181074818504?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=CO0A5kWpXHzbZGr%2Fw8qMhnZeZao%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

·
Registered
497 Posts
That's cool, since you had the extra cable lying around. Way overkill, so no need for anybody to get excited and buy new welding cable just for this job. In normal operation the cables just pass a few amps, and even during cranking with the 12V starter, maybe 100 amps tops. I did mine with the lawn mower battery cables from the auto parts store, put a loop in them for vibration resistance, and they're doing fine 7 years later. The main problem with the original design is that the cables are too short for the amount of engine movement so the vibration constantly flexes the copper at the ends. And also the copper was exposed to corrosion.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
That's actually a really nice video, interesting, clearly explained. Thanks to Mudder for that and to AbCaRed for digging it out...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts