Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
turbo

Interesting concept.
They just placed the turbo in a different position in the exhaust system.
The turbo will run cooler because it is further down the "path".

It could be a "plumbers nightmare".
Possible extra oil pump to recirculate the oil back to the engine, or a seperate oil supply?

Interesting that they show the units installed on "high horsepower" vehicles................Why not on lesser vehicles?
My turbo is water cooled, oil fed by the oil pump on the Insight.
Interesting and entertaining though.

Why don't you E mail them and see if they are interested in making one for the Insight. You started the thread now continue it.
Willie :twisted:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah...

pretty much laughed at by two diff people at STS....oh well...

V-8 is NOT the answer,,,,,,

:wink:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I've seen these systems demonstrated on many of the automotive shows and they basically DO work. I guess it's the only option for those who's engine bays are so crowded there's no room for proper turbo installation.

However compared to a turbine mounted on the exhaust manifold there is no contest: the output of this system is far from optimal. With the size of the compressor they are using on the V8s, they should be adding several hundred horsepower, not 70-100HP. Blame it on positioning as most of the thermal energy of the exhaust stream is lost at this point...especially if there is a cat in the system.

I also worry about the convoluted oil feed and return systems (don't bottom out!) and enormously long intake piping tract (I flat out don't believe it when they say there isn't any lag).

It's also doubtful that the Insight has enough exhaust gas flow to push a turbine very hard when mounted at the rear of the vehicle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went to SEMA the past 3 years and they never got any of the attention they claim. The company will be gone in a few years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts