Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am planning to buy an Insight. I live in the Upper Midwest and we get a lot of snow and chemical melters and salt are used on the roads. I read that handling is not a problem in winter driving conditions but the mix of salt and the car's electronics may be a drawback. I will listen to all urgings to get me to buy this car. Oh, another question...is it true that Honda is going to phase out production? Thank you! Dana ; )

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: Winter questions

Hi Dana,

This is my second winter driving my Insight. The salt/chemical (?!) use on the roads should have no affect on the elecronics since they are well protected deep inside the car. All the cables are inclosed in plastic covering. So no worries there! There are very few areas where rust is a problem. I've got a little rust on the bolts that hold the seats to the floor - I guess they're make with steel.

Last year I didn't use winter tires but this year I use the same size tires as the Civic - slightly larger than the ones Honda recommends for the Insight. They look pretty big on the car - my friend commented that it felt like he was sitting higher up (a la monster truck).

I heard the same rumour about a phase-out but so far that's all it is: rumour. 2003 models are being made and hopefully will continue for many years.

Take care,

Ron

·
Registered
91 Posts
If You are in Mid MO I would stay away from Albert Honda They will not order a new one and insist on driving to an adjacent state to "pick one up"
so far with this Missouri winter we have been having It handles great. It must have some kind of limited slip differental and stopping is not a problem with the ABS. I was passing flipped SUV's at 20 with out sliding or spinning tires ( on twisty country roads )

Carl

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dana, I've been driving my Insight through its first Michigan winter and haven't had much in the way of problems. Another Michigan Insight owner suggests switching to better snow tires (and taking the MPG hit) for better handling in the winter, but I've found that the standard tires just force me to slow down and not be overconfident on winter roads. It's really only the rainy days that have scared me though - the snow and ice haven't been too bad.

You will expect your gas mileage to drop some in the winter though, between having to run the defroster high to keep the windows clear and all, but consider this: my Insight has been doing 42-45 mpg during the worst of winter driving, while my Tracer would have been getting maybe 25 in the same weather.

I don't remember having any trouble starting the car this winter either, even on subzero days. That's a first for me. :)

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Just out of curiousity - I opened the first posting on this forum. I wonder if Dana ever did buy an Insight?

(This is the sort of thing that can happen as summer bites and Christmas approaches in the great southern land.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm probably not getting one anytime soon but I am also curious about the Insight. As an 05 Prius owner I know about hybrids. I understand the insight has an option for a CVT and it is a belt and cone? What is the expected life/durability of the belt and cone CVT because it doesnt sound all that tough to me. Correct me if I'm wrong and please be honest, Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
AFAI remember Honda bought the basic design from a Dutch racing group almost 20 years ago now. They were pumping 800 HP throught it :!: :shock:

The "belt" is a compression link chain. All other designs predating this one used a tension belt system, pull on the belt rather than push. Interlocking, flat, and ovalish generally describe the belt's "chain" links.

Of course the racing version was redesigned for costs and production volume. But the heart of the system is the same. Overall service life is comperable with other high reliability Honda transmissions (not all Honda AT's have been). With reasonable driving (it ain't a race car) and proper maintenance high 100K's should be easily obtainable. YMMV. ;)

HTH! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts