Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this car I'm working on is a 2005 5MT

I'm getting 1446 and 1570
IMA light blinks 66 which corresponds to the 1570, and indicates possible issue with resistor matrix (maybe one tap too high or something) so I'll check that out

1446 could be caused by the above?

Other Notes:
  • I installed Mini BCM Interceptor with pins 1 and 2 shorted to pin 4
  • Have never used BCM interceptor before, but when car is keyed on its led blinks
  • SoC reads 75% on OBDIIC&C but gauge is blank
  • Total pack voltage is 180 right now (fresh from Greentec) perhaps this is too high?
  • Gave it Current Hack w/ 1k resistors for MCM and a 240 for the BCM

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
  • SoC reads 75% on OBDIIC&C but gauge is blank
  • Total pack voltage is 180 right now (fresh from Greentec) perhaps this is too high?
Yeah, my SoC also reads 75% with gauge blank. Apparently any electrical glitch or transient wiill cause the Interceptor to have programming errors. Peter says to reload the PIC program.

The 180V isn't a problem. I usually charge to that level (i.e. 2.5V/cell). It will stop regen, but only until the voltage drops to around 175V.

I'll let Peter answer the fooler questions. I think the deviation is too great, but he would know for sure.:)

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
Yes the deviation is probably too much.

What tolerance resistors did you use for the BCM fooler?

1% is an absolute minimum, and even they can give issues if you are unlucky with the spread.

I use 0.1% tolerance now.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my first conversion I threw in 10 22k 1% and it worked on the first try. 2nd and 3rd I've had so many issues with this. Fortunately I bought 20 of them but desoldering and resoldering is a pain. Working on it though... Got total spread down to 0.06k from max to min but it still doesn't like it. Going tighter...

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, my SoC also reads 75% with gauge blank. Apparently any electrical glitch or transient wiill cause the Interceptor to have programming errors. Peter says to reload the PIC program.
@retepsnikrep

Could this also be causing CEL? My PiC programmer is at home 26 miles away. I did bring an extra unmodified IMA wire harness if this is a likely culprit.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so I built a new bcm fooler using 20k 1/6W resistors. The highest-to-lowest window between the new resistors is now around 0.03K ohms. This left me with now intermittent P1570 and P1446 with 66 and 74. Which I suppose is an improvement?

Now I've got the classic hit-a-bump-get-a-CEL which is still with those two codes. Is there anything people have tried in the past that worked for this? I figured maybe the prongs on the BCM aren't connecting right, but that's all I can think of. I do have an extra BCM/MCM wire harness at home I could cut up. Last year on this car I had done the paperclip tap discharge that eq1 came up with, so maybe I bent the prongs somehow? But I don't think the car was throwing this code until the LTO conversion, so the fault almost certainly remains with something I did in the last few days.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
I've advocated using this as a test tool, but I don't have first hand results:

Reactions: Natalya

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
887 Posts
welcome to my world. I don't have those specific issues but there does seem to be an unidentified ghost. I used 22.1k 0.25W 0.5%. 15 cents each at Mouser. IGood luck.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@jime I may have to do that. I do have extra Insight wire harness parts.

Anyway, I bent the prongs some, turned on the car no CEL, now I get P1586 with IMA 23 and CEL 69 blink codes. It turns off the IMA light when you restart the car, but the light comes back at either the 2nd or 3rd time you get assist. Reading the DTC manual on P1586 it looks like this could be a junction board issue? Having trouble sorting out which wire or connector it might be though...

QUESTION:
Are Hall Effect sensors one-way? because the polarity on the batteries was reversed as compared with my other cars the IMA+ cable goes the opposite direction through the sensor. Could that be the problem?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Are Hall Effect sensors one-way?
If you are referring to a current sensor, it matters which way the wire goes through a current sensor. It will read current in the opposite magnitude. IE 7 amps becomes -7 amps.

I'm talking in general, since I've not gotten into the current sensors in the IMA. Speaking generally, there can be exceptions to this.

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
QUESTION:
Are Hall Effect sensors one-way? because the polarity on the batteries was reversed as compared with my other cars the IMA+ cable goes the opposite direction through the sensor. Could that be the problem?
Yes it matters! You must follow the OEM standards.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cable reversed! Car drives, no CEL. I get Assist and Auto-Stop, but I do not get regen.

Maybe the voltage is still too high for BCM Interceptor to allow regen? (Forgot OBDIIC&C at home along with the PiC programmer!)
I now have 19 bars on SoC gauge. I thought 19 bars meant I should get regen right?
Or perhaps the car itself disabling regen because of voltage despite SoC?

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
Correct.

Your resting voltage is either too high to allow regen or
your pack is over 180V and the BCM Interceptor is disabling it.

Use lots of WOT assist in high gears to get the resting voltage down to less than 175V and see if regen starts up.

If you have your OBDIIC&C you can watch the voltages and ALF & RLF flags.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Correct.

Your resting voltage is either too high to allow regen or
your pack is over 180V and the BCM Interceptor is disabling it.

Use lots of WOT assist in high gears to get the resting voltage down to less than 175V and see if regen starts up.

If you have your OBDIIC&C you can watch the voltages and ALF & RLF flags.
Okay so today I broguht my OBDIIC&C (and my computer and PiC programmer!) and I drove the car a bunch to get the voltages down.

SoC: 75.1%
Brought resting voltage down to 168 by driving a number of miles with lots of assist
IMA batt temp reading 104°F

I get:
  • Assist
  • Auto-Stop
  • Lean Burn
  • A/C
  • OBDIIC&C can turn on the IMA fan
Still no regen. Not even background regen when revving high.

I have a 0.3 amp dumb charger, I tried hooking that up, usually my car won't see the amperage from that either on OBDIIC&C, so I wasn't surprised when this one also didn't see anything, but I figured I'd try it just in case.

Green CHRG bars DO illuminate on key-on so it's not a display issue.

Is it possible that the 2005 model disables regen above 75% SoC and it's reading 75.1% so it refuses to regen?

I made the mistake of not putting programming leads onto the BCM Interceptor and it's hiding under the batteries. I'm going to re-do some wires under there anyway when a couple connectors come in next week, but if you know a quick fix of some sort I can probably try it today.

Other consideration: Any chance there's some wire or something nor connected properly that may cause regen to not happen? Perhaps on the junction board?

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
That's getting better each time you do it. Nice CAN ID stickers. Are they from Greentec?

The only thing that concerns me is the insecure switch board.
I appreciate it might be well wedged, but it really needs bolting too something.
If your doing these for other people now you need to think safety and liability first..

Re the BCM Interceptor

How many bars SOC do you have? 19 or 20?

If you have 20 then the RLF flag is being set due to the jumper not right on the board.

Configure your OBDIIC&C to display the RLF flag parameter. What does it show?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts