Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
887 Posts
Do you think the battery fan is necessary? I've read on the forum that they don't heat up as a result of charging, perhaps due to external temperature.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Do you think the battery fan is necessary? I've read on the forum that they don't heat up as a result of charging, perhaps due to external temperature.
I live near Atlanta, GA, as does this car. It gets hot here. The fans probably don't do much as the batteries are such a huge heat-sink, but I think it would be irresponsible to NOT put the fans in. I am considering adding a 3rd battery fan to one of the corners of the IPU case to pull more air out of the case. It would be wired in parallel with the existing fans. But I haven't settled on how exactly to do that yet.

To be clear, the car itself is also able to turn these fans on, and they can be turned on via OBDIIC&C -- they aren't only running when the car is plugged into a grid charger.

·
Administrator
11,777 Posts
I would say fans will be necessary in hot climates.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It's vital to mount devices where they can be accessed without dismantling loads of stuff.

IMAC&C is not required with a BCM Interceptor. (But obviously it does add more overall flexibility to a system.)

Yes on all the Insights with Lithium I have worked on they will regen with 75% SOC when braking/slowing assuming the battery voltage is within acceptable limits

Yes I misunderstood you, I thought you meant no regen just when idling.

OK sounds like you do have a problem.

You have changed the BCM Fooler resistors R1,R2 to 1K?

You still have pins 1 & 2 of J3 connected to pin 4? or via your switches?
If via switches, they must be closed for assist/regen to operate.

The fact you don't have the RLF flag set when you have no regen indicates a strange problem.

Try the attached BCM Interceptor code it has the voltage checks removed. Does it work?
Rename to hex.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Program the OBDIIC&C to display 'Mte' (mdm temperature) & 'Mdv' mdm voltage in the two parameter spaces that currently display ECM rubbish.

Send an OBDIIC&C pic with the car turned on sat idling.

Attachments

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
OK sounds like you do have a problem.

You have changed the BCM Fooler resistors R1,R2 to 1K?
Yes I have

You still have pins 1 & 2 of J3 connected to pin 4? or via your switches?
If via switches, they must be closed for assist/regen to operate.
They're connected via jumpers. I checked continuity, they look good.

The fact you don't have the RLF flag set when you have no regen indicates a strange problem.
Yeah. :(

Try the attached BCM Interceptor code it has the voltage checks removed. Does it work?
Rename to hex.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Program the OBDIIC&C to display 'Mte' (mdm temperature) & 'Mdv' mdm voltage in the two parameter spaces that currently display ECM rubbish.

Send an OBDIIC&C pic with the car turned on sat idling.
I will get right on this.

·
Super Moderator
8,230 Posts
Yeah, things get tight back there. I'm also still experimenting with layout, probably doing a version 3 since I'm not satified yet. I want to maintain access to all the electronics, BCM, MCM, fooler, interceptor, fuses etc. so I have improvements to make. I kinda favor a mounting plate, but my next version is going to have a "step in the plate so that I can get the front pack lower, and the back pair much higher (for the MDI fan). I think I can visualize a way to improve, but the hitch is always in the small details with space so tight.

You may have to put spacer wires into your temp sensors. I think you may have a length problem with the rears, but There are only 4 sensors and with a couple of the longer wires you may be OK.

·
Administrator
11,777 Posts
IDK if Peter's CAN BMS integration can read that sensor though.
No it can't.

You have to place the old OEM temp sensors around the pack.

·
Administrator
11,777 Posts
Lets try one thing at a time.

If that Interceptor test code makes no difference I will adjust the SOC and we can try that.

Out of interest when you remove the jumper wires connecting J3 pin 1 or pin 2 to pin 4 do the ALF/RLF flags change?

They should..

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
887 Posts
excuse me for interrupting but I think Natalya said she programmed the Interceptor w/o removing the link. In my experience it won't take the code, will it?

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Lets try one thing at a time.

If that Interceptor test code makes no difference I will adjust the SOC and we can try that.

Out of interest when you remove the jumper wires connecting J3 pin 1 or pin 2 to pin 4 do the ALF/RLF flags change?

They should..
Yes, that code made no difference. But I hadn't removed the link. But the programmer said verified when I checked. I'm using V3 and a Pic Kit3. The pick kit 2 never worked for me for OBDIIC&C so I got a 3 for that and that's what I'm using here as well.

Removing the jumper wires makes the flags turn to 1.

·
Administrator
11,777 Posts
excuse me for interrupting but I think Natalya said she programmed the Interceptor w/o removing the link. In my experience it won't take the code, will it?
No worries. But I wasn't talking about the programming jumper John.

·
Administrator
11,777 Posts
OK try this the SOC should be less than 75%. Forget the fact it say 75 in the name.

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,777 Posts
We could of course be stabbing in the dark with a later car and different BCM and MCM programming. :(

All my research is based on much earlier modules 2000,2001 etc.

You could try swapping them one at a time with the ones from your working car.

Please also let us know the full part numbers for the BCM and MCM.

·
Super Moderator
8,230 Posts
When you install your temp probes, remember that the OEM thermistor tips are insulated in the stock installation. I just cut a small edge fold of heat shrink and taped it closed over the tip.

Reactions: Natalya

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
We could of course be stabbing in the dark with a later car and different BCM and MCM programming. :(

All my research is based on much earlier modules 2000,2001 etc.

You could try swapping them one at a time with the ones from your working car.

Please also let us know the full part numbers for the BCM and MCM.
Turned car on.
Started on 12v starter.
23.4 steady SoC.
Car immediately started bg charging at about 9 amps, 3 or 4 green bars on the gauge. I didn't drive it around.

It'll be very difficult for me to get the MCM and BCM part numbers (buried under the batteries, hard to get to) but on OBDIIC&C in the parameters menu I checked MCM version and it said:
1C 05 24 00 00

41 - 60 of 76 Posts