Honda Insight Forum banner

ICE, Navigation & Dashcam - Too much?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Lyger 
#1 ·
Good day people. I need some opinions and/or advice please.

I'm considering getting a 2-din ICE that includes navigation. Some of the Japanese spec cars came optioned with a 2-din unit and I've seen some UK cars with them installed too.

I also want to install a permanent dash cam.

My question is, will these put too much strain on the battery? I'm not technically inclined, and much of what I've read sadly goes over my head.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
those things are rather low amps, so they won't tax the battery nearly as much as exterior lights, fans and defroster do.

now if you added big speakers and an amp, that's a different story.

#3 ·
+1. I have a 2 DIN Pioneer head unit in my wife's CVT. It has Nav and a backup camera. No effect at all on the 12V system.

Sam

#4 ·
same, with a 7" touch display, though i have both front and rear cams. none of which really draws much juice aside from the head unit, and that's mostly to power the speakers.

#6 ·
No need to worry. Those items draw very little power compared to the overall demand. 99.9999% of stereo installs won't even come close to taxing the DCDC converter. That 0.0001% corner case is several high power amps driving into numerous subwoofers... probably more than will actually fit in the insight, plus you'd need to listen to it so loud you'd be deaf.

#8 ·
you probably wouldn't like my install, since it's a flip up and covers the a/c control panel. a flip down screen would be more ideal in the insight, and i have seen them before but they are a bit harder to find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.