Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's a really well done meet! Dyno, lifts, and then a "family" interest,(museum), if we brought or had a family and could interest them in some of our obsessions! that they actually got some "pay off" in a fun for them activity.

Wow, bar is definitely high.
If I try to help others by trying to get a meet together, its not going to match this one for sure...hopefully I can get enough tech help to make it worthwhile..., but its gonna be more of the ramps on (hopefully clean and smooth concrete:) floor and clean and dry type facility (all I have access to).
Maybe after the first one, some others will help and offer some access to contacts for better facilities.

I now realize WHY there are not many, and none in southeast...YET..

I will try to contact Insighters in the SOutheast (on the map I added my info to). I'm thinking to try and do it pre hot and humidity days (March? April, latest...That wouldn't conflict with this meet next yr (though anything I (or we) if others help, could put together by then. and we need to mmake this HELP the community, in all ways, when possible.

Also, are the issues/topics addressed at this meet what is most important to forum (active!) members, or should we try for some other goals, (even if difficult)?

Battery issues seem (to me the MOST universal, to members , and what costs the most $ wise, and also willingness to travel to get help/answers, as well.
Second, I'd guess, would be performance.
"Free" type improvment (ie electric assist, best, petro power second). This I've ascertained (guessed)! is because of large(r) expected up front costs (to turbocharge properly), and or to do internal engine modification(s). Also, secondly, access to those pieces of equipment, ie lifts, a kiln for curing ceramic parts (if doing aircraft engine coatings as I did in the 1990's), milling machines for back cutting valves, doing multi angle valve seat cutting (3, 5 and or 7 angle valve and seat cutting).

Additionally anti friction (or low friction) treatments such as teflon, moly, ceramic/moly coatings, and oil modifiers, that can be tested and improvments identified, and REPEATED, independantly, by labs, shops and scientific laboratories, under defined, and, highly controlled, laboratory, conditions.

Anyway, I looked at how many posters are active, and how many members attended the Md (GREAT location, geographically, by the way; whomever was the brains chosing that location. Not a lot of people to support anything long term, so its gotta be REALLY good, and bring in new people because they benefit. Difficult, right?

Nashville,? music and location (I have "0" contacts there, however), ATlanta (same as Nashville for me, BUT many shows, National as well as regional held there annually, so SOME reason for its location by those waaay above MY pay grade.

I'm going to try talking with a friend at Hyundai, USA, HQ in Montgomery. See if (or what) they have re batteries, hybrids, electric cars, etc. Maybe a small group of passionate insighters who have a superior platform already, and could be "helped" for much less $ than Hyundai could with new non public owned vehicles, MAY get us some "loaner" tech as in batteries:)!
Maybe pay Peter to make a visit and do a group of our cars to use his SUV set up. (If split up 5+ ways...??
Anyway, to work, this needs some different thinking, IMHO.

Comments? suggestions? are welcome..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thillskier
Another good place in the southeast is the aviation museum at Warner Robbins Air Force base in Warner Robbins, Georgia. Fantastic museum and it's free. Also not very far from Atlanta.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Larry, Thanks! I LOVE airplanes both old and new:).

THe aviation museum seemed to draw well last wkend also. I am glad to find another Insighter in the area, especially this close by:)!

If you are interested in helping organize this, I'd welcome any and all help:)!
I think we are about 80 miles or so, approx apart, so not too bad a drive!

I'm on Lake Martin, about 5 miles from Wind Creek State Pk. That was a good place for the after party, socializing event phase of the meet. I'm hoping I can get shop space at the Community College...and need to see whats available there and if we can access their equipment They have a(some:) lifts, but no dyno as of now..They also have a good electrical lab for battery issues and or electrical gremelin run downs, if needed...

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Our member Mountain driver(Bob) is responsible for the idea of approaching Lincoln Tech on use of their facility. His and freezin4 ground work was extensive. I don't think I'd try something this ambitious as a start. There are several approaches which are less demanding and have wide appeal. The social interaction is almost always the element which provides the "glue" for a good and enjoyable event.

I organized the first couple of Mid-Atlantic events myself and tried to be observant of what was working. My first efforts were to essentially do "classroom" kinds of presentations. I observed then, and others have since, that this kind of stultified and rigid format doesn't have wide appeal. Members seem to like to have small group discussions instead. If the "expert" or demo, or lift is available, a few will congregate while others pursue other interests. Flexibility seems key.

Rallies or caravans through some pretty country roads are always popular. The WI meet had a caravan during the event up to a river ferry and back to a popular place to have inexpensive food. That worked wonderfully. Little maintenance exercises such as valve adjustment, oil changes, throttle plate cleaning, V-tech screen cleaning, and such are manageable one hour exercises that many folks like to do and see. Unfortunately, these kinds of things aren't particularly family friendly so they are best left to a meet which is advertised as "technical."

You are a bit off in observing that the Air and Space Museum was a "family" attraction. It was certainly a very interesting technical diversion, but no "families" really attended. If you want to attract wives and girl friends(mostly) you will have to stick with strictly social things like caravans and dining.

The most important element in planning is to try to develop a good contact list of those potentially interested, and do interest surveys. This is initially best done by e-mail lists, which must be built. You need a strong organizer to carry the ball.

The first steps in putting an event together is to select a date and venue. The date should be a non-conflicting date. You want to avoid major long weekends as these are frequently used for family activities and trips.

The venue seems, in my opinion, to need be where the most membership resides. In our case, we try to organize in the Baltimore/Washington area because that is where most of our members reside. If I tried to organize in Richmond, where I live, the attendance would fall badly. This is true of startups - after a while you may find that some members are willing to travel long distance, and that can become fun rally opportunities also.

Hope this helps a bit. Get the list together first!

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions

I'll see if/what interest I can raise here (in the area), and go from there.
Thanks again for your geat example and advice as well. (feel free to chime in etc if when I go astray in the future as well:)! I know this won't be easy, even if it is doable, in the area. By the way, what is considered a good radius to pull from, initialy? 250 miles? or?

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
I'll see if/what interest I can raise here (in the area), and go from there.
Thanks again for your geat example and advice as well. (feel free to chime in etc if when I go astray in the future as well:)! I know this won't be easy, even if it is doable, in the area. By the way, what is considered a good radius to pull from, initialy? 250 miles? or?
The radius is a hard question to answer. The attendance definitely falls off as you try to extend the reach, as one would expect. It also kinda depends on whether it is a 1 day or two day event. Folks will definitely travel 200 miles for a two day event, but not many for a one day event.

I think that in your situation, I'd try to do it in stages. First try for a one day event with the closest people. This event should probably involve a lunch at an inexpensive place, and enough afternoon time that folks can walk around the cars and talk about their problems, mods, driving techniques, batteries, or whatever interests them.

Some place like Roanoke, AL would be fairly central to you, Auburn and Atlanta. It is a long way from the 2 guys over in Huntsville, but one might come. Anyway, I see that you are doing your survey, and that is very positive. I wish you the best of luck.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
++ on all of Jime's tips and suggestions.

I've noticed that the car owners really like the socializing part (good old fashioned bs'ing), comparing notes and mods, and swapping stories.

Completely agree on keeping tech stuff to simple and short tasks, even if done on jack stands. Just be sure it's safe, and follow any rules/restrictions your host may have.

As far as location, Jim nailed it, it's gotta be central to the majority of the travelers. You may have one or two willing to go a good distance, but most will want a short travel time.

Continuing with location: our group met in a state park twice, at a members house/garage 3 times, and in a driveway. Jime has had a couple mini-meets at a coffee shop. All were great events and provided for lots of information sharing. Usually someone with a mod will talk a little bit about it and share where the info was found and how it was accomplished, that can be the ice-breaker that leads to more discussions.

The Lincoln Tech event happened by chance (and some good public relation skills by Freezin4). But that's a long story for another time.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Lots of interesting places to visit in AL, assuming they are open to the public. Redstone Arsenal, Wernher Von Braun Research Hall, Im sure NASA has a lot of stuff down there.

·
3,641 Posts
Lots of great ideas info by JimE and MountainDriver.

Setting a good date is first big decision point. It's hard to find an "empty" weekend that will suit everyone. Go with the gravity of the reliable folks.

Consider approaching a Honda dealer and see if you can make it "win-win" opportunity where they get something out of it as will you.

Menu: Donuts in AM then pizza for lunch. My early attempts at querying people's desires proved to be a failure. I got stuck on the grill, and ended up with unopened chicken dogs. You can never please 100% of attendees. Go with Pizza.

Develop and use your email list to remind people.

Best wishes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts