Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idle drive when crawling in traffic... is a good way to save fuel in slow traffic when on the flat...

Idle drive is when the engine and wheel speed allow the revs to drive the car with no throttle... just lift the clutch 'very' slowly...

The car can crawl in 1st at approx 50mpg and in 2nd at approx 75mpg...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Resist said:
It also wears down the clutch plate faster.
Shouldn't be touching the clutch pedal while doing this so it won't wear.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lifting it slowly...

when rolling no pedals are depressed or touched... ie the clutch is only lifted slowly so the engine does not stall... i.e no throttle just use the engine idle to move the car...

Idle drive is something car makers add to the calibration to crawl in traffic...

Just another way of saving fuel.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think what Resist was referring to, was that letting out the clutch slowly, without using any gas, is going to put additional wear on the clutch plate. A better method, IMO, is to let clutch out normally, then letting of throttle to allow it to "idle drive". This method would not add any additional wear on clutch plate.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why more wear?

If the revs have to be raised to start this if anything would wear the clutch more...

If anything it would wear the clutch less in my view... As the revs want to lower when raising the clutch... Normal is to raise the clutch suddenly is an impact load... With higher revs...

I asked another automotive engineer at work and he seemed to think raising clutch smoothly but slowly to fully released was less wearing than a usual clutch method. Wear would be from continually slipping which I am not suggesting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The longer it takes the clutch to fully engage, the more wear is occurring, IMO. But I guess you'd have to measure the revolutions the clutch plate takes to fully engage. Still sounds like a modified version of riding the clutch until it's engaged, that you are using.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I believe what John is suggesting will not cause additional wear to the clutch. We are talking about idle engine speed afterall.

I used to do the same thing and used to wonder if my engine was running too 'rich'? Then again, it is probably down to the low rolling resistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts