Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 2003 Insight for a week, and I see that that the Idle Stop does not consistently come on.

This happens even after 30+ miles on the freeway. I live in Los Angeles, so the outside temperature is not problem. Battery is charged.

When I take it to the dealer, of course it works fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
First, congratulations on your purchase! Second, the idle stop featire on the CVT seems a little less predictable than on the manual. I assume that's what you're driving. If this is the case you most likely have nothing to worry about. I've found idle stop will sometimes work after a few miles of driving while it won't at more logical times.
As you mentionned temperature is a factor but even in cold weather, fairly extended driving will allow idle stop to kick in and it does seem to become more active after the first few months of ownership. Maybe other owners can weigh in but I don't think you should be too concerned.
Benjamin

·
Registered
29 Posts
Every time I'm having "trouble" getting the Insight to auto-stop (2001 5sp), I test it by turning off the environmental controls before my next stop. It almost always works when I disable those, even when it's been pesky all afternoon.

After I verify that it's still working, I tend to leave the controls on and let it autostop or not as the computer chooses (I just like to know that it is choosing, and not simply failing!)

·
Registered
113 Posts
i think i may know the answer if you have a CVT. if you have a 5 speed, then just ignore this post :D

basically, your car doesn't want to keep turning off and on the engine in bumper-to-bumper traffic, so Honda set some "rules" for the auto-stop (and fuel cut mode as well)

let's say you get off the freeway and come to a complete stop. the auto-stop will engage. once you let off the brake, the car will turn on again. if you go faster than 10mph, the auto-stop will engage again when your speed drops to around 6mph.

so if you crawl at 5mph, then stop, then crawl 8mph, then stop, then crawl 4mph, then stop, the auto-stop will not engage. so if you crawl again at 11mph, then stop, the engine will shut off.

the same thing applies to fuel cut mode. if you don't speed up to ~20mph, the fuel cut will not engage and you will coast like any normal gasoline car.
also, if you are in fuel cut mode (off the gas pedal and above 20mph) and your speed drops to around 6mph, the car will feed gas to the pistons to prevent the car from stalling. and if you then step on the brake, auto-stop will engage

do i make any sense? :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have an '03 Insight with CVT also

I also owned mine for exactly 1 week, last Friday I got it. It's also an '03 insight, so we're bout the same. I have the CVT as no dealer in South Florida had the manual transmission version and my fiancee noted she may want to borrow the car now and then and she hates driving stick. So I caved in.

When you hit auto and let the car stop, it won't turn off the engine. If you see "auto" on the LCD panel and a temperature, the car won't turn off. I guess because if the motors off the A.C is off and it would just be a pain. The only time idle-stop works is if you're in econ a/c on, econ a/c off or the entire thing is off (via the off button). That's when idle stop will work, but it won't work if you stop, then let go of the break and press it again, the car will then stay on. The only time idle-stop will reactivate is when you exceed 10 mph again, or you've been rolling slowly for like 10-15 seconds, then idle stop will reactivate next time you stop.

You may or may not have known this, probably did, but just in case I figured I throw it in. With the above rules, my car does behave as the book said it does. I wish I could be in "auto" mode and have idle stop work, but alas, I must just set a temperature and speed and let it go constantly if I want idle-stop.

·
Registered
211 Posts
auto stop

And you do know that it doesn't work when the A/C is in the full auto mode, right?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Full Auto mode?

What do you mean full auto mode?

I know that Econ A/C mode it turns off.

I know if you put the thing in "auto" in which the car handles the decisions about fan speed, coldness output, recirculation, etc. it won't turn off.

But I do remember something about if you turn it all the way down to 60 it may not turn off, I haven't tested this though but I remember reading something about special things occuring if you turn the knob all the way left.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Re: Full Auto mode?

glitch said:
What do you mean full auto mode? I know that Econ A/C mode it turns off. I know if you put the thing in "auto" in which the car handles the decisions about fan speed, coldness output, recirculation, etc. it won't turn off. But I do remember something about if you turn it all the way down to 60 it may not turn off, I haven't tested this though but I remember reading something about special things occuring if you turn the knob all the way left.
I think he means AUTO (Auto with Econ mode disabled). The car has 3 main settings: AUTO which means the car will always try to maintain the desired temperature (and will not allow idle stop to turn on), ECON (displayed on liquid crystal display) which maintains the temperature while the car is in motion but turns off the compressor when coming to a stop to allow idle stop mode, and DEFOG which is basically AUTO optimized for defogging the windows. If you select a specific fan setting (1-4 bars), the fan will still run during idle stop if you are in ECON mode but the air will not be cooled or heated.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the long description but it is true that being in AUTO mode is the most common source of idle stop not working.
Benjamin

·
Registered
123 Posts
In my experience, which has not been significant yet (only have my Insight 3 months now) the auto-stop feature is very picky about all the requirements being met for it to function.
These requirements for the 5 speed Insights as I understand them are:
- Engine coolant needs to be near normal operating temperature
- The vehicle's speed is below 19 mph (I have noticed it come on at about 23 mph myself)
- You are pressing on the brake pedal & clutch pedal
- The IMA battery is charged at least 1/3rd on the Battery Level Gauge
- The A/C is off or in Economy mode
- There is adequate vacuum reserve for the power brakes
- You shift to Neutral to keep Auto Idle Stop from shutting off

My opinion is that your Insight might not be utilizing this feature often due to engine coolant temp. not being at an adequate level.
~Martin
2000 Silver 5 Spd

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Motty82 said:
My opinion is that your Insight might not be utilizing this feature often due to engine coolant temp. not being at an adequate level.
Except that Miriam says this happens after driving 30+ miles on the freeway, in Sothern California... Otherwise, thanks for the nice idle stop description! I would add that a form of idle stop (or engine shut-off) kicks in regardless of speed when going down a steep hill.

Benjamin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts