Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Insight with 231,000 miles on it. I replaced the EGR valve 3 years ago. Now I'm having simliar bucking, mostly around 2000 rpms, especially on a slight incline or slight acceleration, mostly around 35mph, especially after the engine's warm. My malfunction indicator light has gone on (a lot), and the first time they read the codes my mechanic said it was for the second O2 sensor.

I've had the egr plate replaced--that helped a little, and it was very clogged, but the bucking's since gotten worse. They put in new spark plugs--my mechanic thought it might be that, because the bucking started around the same time he replaced them with generic plugs, so he put in type B Honda plugs, but it didn't help. Now he's talking about replacing two of the compression coils.

I've unplugged the EGR valve, and that help for about 2 days, but now the bucking is back and bad as ever.

So, if the bucking happens even when the EGR valve is unplugged, does that mean it's not the EGR valve? If it's not, what's the next most likely thing? My mechanic is nice but I'm the only insight he's worked with. I'm not very mechanically oriented, either. Does anyone have easy-to-convey (and hopefully not super expensive) suggestions?

·
Registered
762 Posts
I think its the 02 sensor. i have had similar issue do to an o2 sensor issue

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think it's the primary or secondary O2 sensor? Which one did you replace? I replaced the primary sensor when I first bought the car, 100,000 miles...

·
Registered
762 Posts
what I know is that when I put a spacer(pulled it out of the exhaust stream) on my secondary o2 sensor it made my car very "herky jerky" right around lean burn, it was low load and usually around 40-60 mph. it eventually gave me a code for the 1st o2 sensor even though I hadnt touched that sensor and I knew it was good. just a thought.

·
Registered
917 Posts
what I know is that when I put a spacer(pulled it out of the exhaust stream) on my secondary o2 sensor it made my car very "herky jerky" right around lean burn, it was low load and usually around 40-60 mph. it eventually gave me a code for the 1st o2 sensor even though I hadnt touched that sensor and I knew it was good. just a thought.
I had the same "herky jerky" experience when I added the spacers on the secondary sensor. Almost changed out the EGR valve, but ended up replacing the ECM instead.

My 0.02 worth,
Tim Glover

·
Registered
946 Posts
The ECM was causing the herky jerky???

I have the same probleme. Replaced EGR, 1st o2 sensor, still jerky. When it is very cold, I have no problems. When it become over 0 celcius, after warmup, it jerk a lot. When warm, it is better but not perfect.

I also have 3 new honda coils. I re-installed my old coils, and it is now better. I also replace the temp sensor, in case.

Could it be also my ECM? Maybe my 2nd o2?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Hi all, I will try to clarify on the ECM. When I put the double spark plug spacer mod on the downstream O2 sensor ( to make the false P0420 code stop ), I noticed a fair amount of "herky jerky", and thought it might be the EGR valve. However, before I replaced the EGR, and after I had the ECM repaced and removed the double spacer on the downstream O2 sensor, it stopped the "herky jerky" and is still doing fine after 18 months.

I don't think the ECM has anything to do with the "herky jerky", just the double spacer.

Tim

·
Registered
917 Posts
So that confirm that a bad 2nd o2 sensor can cause jerky condition. This is the only part that i never replaced

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Not sure. I was thinking it would throw a code if it was bad. My experience is the car was not super happy with the anti-fouler mod, even though it did fix the false P0420. Keep us posted.

Take care,
Tim Glover

·
Registered
939 Posts
it wouldn't be the sensor-even if it was bad. the ecm reverts to a "hard program" if a fault happens (kind of like open loop). Id have to look, but i have a strange suspicion that the egr needs to be "set" to zero when installed. (for example) My old Beretta also had the herky jerkys. All the same things pointed to the egr. So, after testing, and proving it was bad, i replaced it. the new one still did it. Puzzled, i looked at the egr and noticed that it wouldn't close 100%. What i found is the ecm had assumed the egr was closed and used the wiper position it was in as zero-when in reality it was in "slot 2" (imaging the wiper as slots,0 being closed-10 full open. this is just for a mental pic to understand what i mean about the position).
the fix was to manually pull the valve closed then installing- thus putting the wiper at true zero.
The only other time i had herky jerky was with a bad purge valve. That never set a code(even though it should). come to think of it, i should do some testing of mine on the gen 1. (ive got the same issues and egr system is good). hmmm

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The egr valve I have on there now has been there about 3 years, no 'herky jerky' until a little while ago, so I don't think it's the set-point. Unless... might it be that the original jerkiness was due to the clogged egr plate, but when they reinstalled the old egr valve after cleaning/replacing the plate, it somehow wasn't fully closed?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I will try to replace the secondary regular o2 sensor with a cheap aftermarket one. I will let you know the result.

I hope that it is not my injectors gain. I replaced those 3 years ago.

Could it be the map sensor? Maybe somebody might have one so I could do a test?

Raonine, if you find something, please let us know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I found a cheap secondary o2 sensor on Ebay, which will come in Wednesday. I'll give that a try, and if it doesn't work, maybe I"ll sell the car to someone mechanically minded...

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,666 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so I'm going to try the following: 1) replace the secondary O2 sensor with the $32 one from Ebay, and if that doesn't help, 2) replace the compression coils with ones that work and see if that fixes it. After that, who knows. I contacted Eric and he'll be helping me. I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Tracking down the "herky-jerky" is probably one of the most annoying problems.
As you can see on this forum, it often involves running through the possible problem parts
EGR Valve
EGR plate (cleaning)
O2 sensors
Catalytic converter
Coil packs
It makes mechanics just as much as it irritates owners.

Looking forward to getting to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eric at EVPowers plugged in my primary 02 sensor (didn't realize it was unplugged...) and replaced the secondary sensor. Seems to be ok so far, we'll see what happens in warmer weather.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No herky-jerky so far, but the trouble light is on again; went once for a P0420 code, and back on 4 days later. Is it a false code from the secondary O2 sensor, a sign that my cat actually is broken, or the primary sensor causing trouble now that it's plugged in? Or something else entirely?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts