Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to search the forums, but the search option mostly bring up stuff about the 1G. If someone can point me towards other threads or have advice that would be greatly appreciated.

My main concern is how long does the 2nd Gen typically battery last. I don't want to pick up a 2nd Gen and then immediately find out I need to replace the battery, but I do know that it varies due to how people drove or lack of driving their Insight.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Those 2012 & 2013 engines had Honda's low friction piston rings. They burn oil and foul spark plugs. Honda does have a warranty extension on them.

So far, there are very few reports of the IMA battery pack in these cars dieing. There were some reports of folks getting IMA warning lights and, as a result, Honda came up with a software update. Most issues since have been either cars sitting unused and the battery pack becoming weak (almost all revive) and others being damaged by rear end collisions. Body shops are so stupid they will just let them sit in the rain without a tarp and ruin very expensive electronics. But the biggest issue we had reported around here is just a weak or dieing 12 volt under hood battery. There is no alternator, it gets charged by the IMA. And it never gets used to start the car unless it is really cold out. However, it does maintain and operate the IMA electronics. So if it goes bad, holey hell breaks loose. It has been difficult to convince newbies that all they need is a new battery. Before our 2010 was totaled at 140k, it had been through three batteries.

I do know that we had a member driving uber/lyft who was at close to 300k on his original IMA. So it is possible to keep these things going. Just be prepared to revive one and then drive it regularly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm using 2009 2nd Gen JDM, it's 10yrs old now.

I suggest get the 2010~11 version it is updated suspension and other features.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No IMA issues.
Awesome.
Service guy says drive daily to avoid IMA issues.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
That's good to hear. This one has 140K miles on the ODO. I was reading that a slight jerkiness from a stand still is kind of normal on these cars?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Those 2012 & 2013 engines had Honda's low friction piston rings. They burn oil and foul spark plugs. Honda does have a warranty extension on them.

So far, there are very few reports of the IMA battery pack in these cars dieing. There were some reports of folks getting IMA warning lights and, as a result, Honda came up with a software update. Most issues since have been either cars sitting unused and the battery pack becoming weak (almost all revive) and others being damaged by rear end collisions. Body shops are so stupid they will just let them sit in the rain without a tarp and ruin very expensive electronics. But the biggest issue we had reported around here is just a weak or dieing 12 volt under hood battery. There is no alternator, it gets charged by the IMA. And it never gets used to start the car unless it is really cold out. However, it does maintain and operate the IMA electronics. So if it goes bad, holey hell breaks loose. It has been difficult to convince newbies that all they need is a new battery. Before our 2010 was totaled at 140k, it had been through three batteries.

I do know that we had a member driving uber/lyft who was at close to 300k on his original IMA. So it is possible to keep these things going. Just be prepared to revive one and then drive it regularly.
TBH not all 2012/13s have oil / piston problems I drive 500 m a week oil hasn't dipped one mm in all the months I've owned it ( 2 nd insight and find them Uber reliable)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
And CVT fluid changes. Do it more often than recommended.
With respect to software updates: if you are in the US you can check for open
recalls on the Honda owners site. One of the software updates was an actual recall
that they sent letters out to owners. That one, if never done, should still be able to be done for free at the dealer. They actually have to connect to Honda's computer in the service area. I would beg them to make sure any and all available updates are done.
The first three, before the recall one, had to do with: how autostop worked and how it came out of it, the way the IMA handled regeneration on hills and such, and the last was probably an early version of the one the recall addresses. (How the IMA battery regulates itself)

There is also a "start clutch" relearn procedure that can be done. (search for that here) What I remember about that is finding an open place where you can coast to a stop from 30 MPH. But do look for the real procedure, don't rely on my memory...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Oh, one other thing: whenever I drove the Insight, I would shift to S in traffic. Mostly to keep the A/C on, but that also keeps the engine running so there is less jerk as it starts and engages.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info, I'll get it checked out the service updates. I was planning on doing all the maintenance since I like peace of mind knowing that it for sure has been done.

The A/C stays on for me if I'm not in eco-mode? Is the engine suppose to turn off if not in ecomode and A/C on?

·
Registered
273 Posts
And CVT fluid changes. Do it more often than recommended.
With respect to software updates: if you are in the US you can check for open
recalls on the Honda owners site. One of the software updates was an actual recall
that they sent letters out to owners. That one, if never done, should still be able to be done for free at the dealer. They actually have to connect to Honda's computer in the service area. I would beg them to make sure any and all available updates are done.
The first three, before the recall one, had to do with: how autostop worked and how it came out of it, the way the IMA handled regeneration on hills and such, and the last was probably an early version of the one the recall addresses. (How the IMA battery regulates itself)

There is also a "start clutch" relearn procedure that can be done. (search for that here) What I remember about that is finding an open place where you can coast to a stop from 30 MPH. But do look for the real procedure, don't rely on my memory...
Updates in Europe exactly the same notifications etc

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I think others have said that turning ECO mode off also keeps the engine running and the A/C on. I just liked that I could leave the ECO on (I think it turns on each time you restart?) and just use S in traffic and shift up to D once on the open road.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Slight jerkiness is normal, especially around 10 mph (the transition from clutch slip to full engagement and vice versa) and when driving around 20 mph at a constant speed (EV mode engaging and disengaging).
The learning procedure can improve it, but some Insights remain somewhat jerky no matter what. Never as bad as the shifting of a traditional automatic though.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As long as it's something normal to other drivers I'm fine. My wife who will primarily drive the car is always light on the gas from a stop light anyways (she drives a Camaro, lol). I'll still check out the software updates and change filters/fluids per maintenance. I was surprised to find out about the counterfeit filters that can cause blockage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
7 Participants
Sigma Projects
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing