Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMA light came on for a couple hundred miles and still ran ok.
Then engine light joined it with 1449 code. Assist/charge stopped working.

I got a grid charger from HybridAutomotive.
I did 2 complete discharges and charges, cleared the code each time and pulled the IMA fuses for 30 seconds.

The IMA and engine lights come on within seconds of engine start.
Honda dealer says it needs an IMA battery to the tune of $2400.

Anyone have any suggestions that I have not tried?
Want to buy my 2003 car?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
How did you discharge? I've found that using as much battery via the car doesn't do it, you really need to hook it up to light bulbs and run it way below what the car will allow. Remember, that even doing it this way at some point a battery will just get so bad that it can't be helped.

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
+1 to what Mark said.

How long were your grid charges? (24 hours)

How deep were your discharges? (<60 or 12 or 2V)

You can also blink the codes to get more information.

Once grid charging and discharging no longer seem to improve a pack, I recommend checking the voltage taps of the BCM connector to see if one or more taps are out of range. This is indicative of one or more bad sticks, and grid charging is unlikely to help.

The picture of the connector is upside down to orient it exactly like the actual plug. You don't need to unplug it. You can just probe where the wires go into the plug.

I recommend you check them:
1) just prior to terminating a grid charge OR
2) immediately after 12V reset and car charge at idle.

Check them again 8-12 hours later.

I don't have specific numbers for you, but they should all drop about the same from their freshly charged value.

If the difference between the highest and the lowest is > 1.2V, then it's very likely that the tap(s) that read the lowest have one or more bad sticks in them and that's the cause of a P1449(74). If you can't clear it up with grid charging/discharging, you either need to replace the pack or initiate the self flagellation that is "stick work."

There are more cost effective and reliable batteries than the dealer. Try BumbleBee or Hybrid ReVolt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Discharged via light bulbs. First one down to 6V, second time down to 0.3V

Charged for 36 hours each time

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Discharged via light bulbs. First one down to 6V, second time down to 0.3V

Charged for 36 hours each time
sounds like you're doing everything right. The battery has just given up the ghost.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
I agree with S Keith - sounds like you've done everything right. Seems like there must be one or more really dysfunctional cells. Seems like checking tap voltages would likely reveal which pair or pairs are suspect... Get the blink code, check the tap voltages, please report back...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts