Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My car's IMA battery seems to have been affected by Covid-19. Shutting down the school I work at meant no commuting and lots of sitting for me and the car. We re-opened in June and we were enjoying over 70 mpg when the IMA came on out of the blue. I have a Genesis1 grid charger so put it through I think 2 rounds of charging and discharging which took care of the light and gave me about 2 weeks more of commuting but then the IMA light came on again. I hooked her back up and tried going for 3 rounds of charging/discharging which proceeded much to quickly. I remember in the past 1 round ( I think 3 charge discharge cycles) taking days to complete but now a round is done in a much shorter time.

I assume it was the sitting idle which stressed the battery. I did replace the 12 volt battery in the recent past prior to this and I think I've read here that the failing of the 12 volt battery may put stress on the IMA also. But I have another nagging thought. I noticed prior to all this battery failure a slight medium pitch hum when driving say above 30 and continuing even when coasting at that speed. I hope it's a slight exhaust leak but don't know if it could be connected to anything with the regen system or another electrical issue. Possibly a bearing? It's slight and other people who don't know my car have trouble hearing it.

So I am leaning towards replacing the battery and am debating going the do-it-yourself route and also thinking about the connector for the grid charger. I suppose it would make sense to add that in from the start just so it's there when needed in the future. But would that void the warranty on the battery? I know I can call BB and ask but wondering what others think.

Finally, can people point me towards instructions for replacing the battery and reconnecting the grid charger. I've seen links before over the years but don't know if they are all created equal (ie which are best and easiest to follow) I have the mechanical skills to do this but, for encouragement, want to be sure I have the best road map to complete the journey.

Thanks for any ideas you can contribute.

Andrew
2001 MT Silver Bullet

·
Registered
12 Posts
just fixed my IMA with the help of this community today with a £6 fix, a new earth strap- so check the top one with a pull and the steel to aluminum st the bolt corrodes and cleasning that up has restored the power and turned off the light.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will double check those ground cables. I replaced them a few years back and gave them a quick look over this past week and they seem good but electrical cables have fooled me before. I am going to keep driving it and on the next IMA light I will stop in at Autozone to get the codes read. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,666 Posts
If it is an IMA light, autozone cannot read that info.You will have to do the "Blink/Read Test".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So autozone could give me the main P codes but I need to go further and short the pins in order to find out what the subcode is and that will tell me more exactly what the issue is.When the light comes on again I'll do that. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,666 Posts
They will probably say. "Mfg. Specif Code". NO info available.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the IMA came on today. It's only the 3rd day of commuting after 3 rounds of grid charging after the previous recent IMA light.
Advance Auto tells it's employees to not read codes during the pandemic. A private honda mechanic politely declined.
Autozone handed me the tester and then read it for me afterwards.
I have a P1449 Battery Module Overheating.
So now I need the blink codes.
At 99mpg mike says "The photo shows which pins need to be shorted together..." Does that mean 1 wire connecting the two pins to each other?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,666 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I stripped a piece of coaxial cable to get a wire suitable for shorting the two pins together and it worked great. I got 3 blinking lights. The Check Engine Light, EPS and IMA

IMA is 78 Battery Module Deterioration (what I was expecting)
CEL is 59
EPS is 23

I am guessing there is no hope for the battery unless I got into replacing cells. What about those other two codes?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,666 Posts
Check post #8, I gave you a link to the solutions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It does take some deciphering but if I am reading the code charts correctly it seems like EPS 23 blink code means I have either a problem with the Electronic power steering ground or the system itself OR my engine knock sensor has a problem somewhere in the circuit. I have not been doing any parked rev charging, just parked IMA grid charging but that's entirely different.

CEL 59 link leads to a 395 page pdf on the IMA electrical circuit. That's foreboding and a lot of reading. Maybe I missed another more important link.

the 1449 blink code 79 leads to a 1 page pdf describing battery module deterioration.

I think I will put it up on ramps, take off the under panels (almost time for an oil change) look for a grounding issue with the power steering and anything identifiable with the engine knock sensor. I also wonder if the hum is caused by maybe some loose plastic vibrating or scraping. Or maybe it is an exhaust leak and I will be able to visually identify it from underneath. At least it will be cool on the garage floor. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just fixed my IMA with the help of this community today with a £6 fix, a new earth strap- so check the top one with a pull and the steel to aluminum st the bolt corrodes and cleasning that up has restored the power and turned off the light.
Jules I found that the upper ground cable while not corroded had numerous broken strands, possibly 75% broken. This was a Honda cable probably not more than 5 years old. I am trying another round of grid charging and maybe the battery will last a bit longer than before with a replacement cable that I had lying around. I'm not very optimistic about it succeeding with the 1449 module deterioration code but we'll see.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grid charging over the past 6 days was interrupted twice by power outages. After each outage I restarted it and let it run through charge discharge cycles until it finally completed yesterday. I reset by disconnecting the 12volt for 2 minutes but the IMA light came on after 5 minutes of driving. The previous recent episodes I was able to do a couple of 40 mile commutes before getting the IMA light. Now it's coming on quickly. Does anyone feel that interrupting grid charge/discharge routine with power outages could cause further damage? This battery is in rough condition any way I think. The code is 1449 subcode 78 but I was hoping further grid charging might bring it back but seems to be going in the wrong direction as in downhill.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,666 Posts
Repeated 1449 is the "Kiss of Death".
Either get a new battery or run it in the IMA less mode.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts