Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently purchased my 2000 Insight as a Certified Used Vehicle from a local Honda dealer last month. Paid $7977 with 62,000 miles on it; added an extended warranty to take the car up to 100,000 mile coverage. The car is like new. I just love it! Best car purchase I've ever made. It's the most enjoyable vehicle I've ever driven -- and this coming from a guy who was driving a 1996 BMW 328i Convertible. (My fiance is now driving the Bimmer, much to her pleasure and mine.) Let me get to my question -- here's my problem. Three times now in one month the IMA battery charge has gone from about half-way charged on the meter to only 2 or 3 bars instantly. It seems to occur when accelerating from a dead stop and the engine has to really work to get going -- like on an incline. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I've set an appointment with Service this weekend to have them check it out, but wanted to see if any other Insight owners have information to share. I've found this website to be very helpful in making my decision to purchase an Insight, and now I am excited to be a part of a great community of Insight owners. Thanks.

·
Registered
700 Posts
That sounds everybody's favorite: battery recalibration. Plenty of info on that subject here.

Does it "force charge" until the IMA battery is at least over half full?

How old is your "little" battery?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Also here:
http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/faq-no ... eroBattery

"Q: My battery charge level suddenly went to zero. What happened?

A: This is normal behavior. Depending on your driving pattern, you may see this often, rarely or never. The charge in the battery has not suddenly gone away, the gauge has just "corrected" to accurately reflect the amount of available charge. The more assist and partial re-charging that has taken place since the gauge last read fully charged, the more likely you are to see this..."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it does "force charge" until the battery is half full. Infact, my work commute usually doesn't charge the IMA battery very much. That occurs when I'm on the highway. However, each time the sudden discharge occurred, the car charges the battery often and quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PS -- I believe the 12V battery is new. Honda replaced it. I will check my paperwork this evening.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I test drove that Insight

at Conyers Honda, was going to think about it, and it was gone in a flash!
I ended up getting a CVT. It was in very good condition, too. I am glad you like it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts