Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been an avid reader of this forum for a while now and I have learned a great deal from you guys... Now I have a question about my 2001 Insight CVT Model (42 K on it). Yesterday I got in and started it and immediately noticed the IMA readout was at about 1/2 charged. It has never been that low before. I have also noticed my mileage has dropped a couple of mpg's in the last week or so . It has the original 12 volt battery in it and I am wondering if that is the problem . It was very cold here yesterday , about 0 F. The system seems to be charging because the charge meter is coming on, but I am wondering why the IMA battery is showing such a low reading. I only drove it about 20 miles round trip . Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and Merry Christmas!!! Robin

·
Registered
408 Posts
It might very well be the 12V battery is dying. The cold weather might have lowered the voltage a bit more than usual. If you want to make sure, go to Radio Shack or some electronics store and get an ammeter/voltmeter. If the 12V reads below 12V, it's completely dead. If it reads just above 12V, it's dying - a good battery should read over 12.5V. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
In cold cold weather it won't use the IMA much if at all until it has done enough force charging to warm the battery up. If you drive long enough it should eventually turn back to normal.

But I would deffinitely check the 12 volt as well. It is probably about due for replacment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses, I will check out the voltage on the battery. Any suggestions for a new 12 volt battery ? Buying one at my local dealer would probably be the quickest, but I was wondering if there are any other options? Thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
The standard group size 51R for a newer Civic is the only widely available drop in replacement. It is bigger, heavier and more "powerful" (CCA) than needed for the Insight.

A quality drop in and match for size, weight, and terminal connections has reliably been reported by John Wayland to be a Japan Storage GS #NS40Z(S) (OEM supplier to Toyota and Nissan).

From an _old_ post in the yahoo honda_hybrid forum for the GS:

John Wayland said:
It is a direct drop in (are you listening, Dick?) with identical dimensions (7.8 inches high and 5 inches deep) with the exception, that like the battery for the CVT version, it's a tad bit wider, in the case of this GS battery, it's 7.7 inches wide (the 5 speed's is 6.5" wide, the CVT is 7.25" wide). This wider size accounts for the greater Ahr capacity with just a small increase in battery weight. The 5 speed is a 27 Ahr, the CVT is a 30 Ahr, and this GS battery as stated, is 35 Ahr. The battery weighs approx. 21 lbs.

Here's the Northwest Battery Supply part number and info:

# 2/5400
rated at 274 CCA
reserve capacity at 52 minutes
$69.95

They can be reached at (503) 232-9002

Any GS brand supplier should be able to tell you of the batteries
availability.
A more high tech and expensive alternative that also requires a "booster seat" and or tray modifications and terminal adapters is a Hawker G26EP.

From another old honda_hybrid post by John Wayland:

John Wayland said:
The one I have recommended for use with the Insight, is their 'G26EP' version of the Genesis model line. The Genesis batteries are far above any ordinary sealed AGM lead acid battery and are at least equal to an Optima, in regards to long life, durability, conservative ratings, and hardy construction. The instantaneous short circuit current is a whopping 2400 amps!

This model has to be mounted sideways (it's OK to do with Hawkers) with its terminals at the rear, but then everything lines up nicely. The terminals themselves are different from a regular car battery, as instead of posts, they are a threaded insert with metric stainless steel bolts (10 mm head). I know there are solid brass screw-in adapters to convert these into a post style, but they're hard to find. The point is, this battery is not a direct drop-in replacement where the factory battery cables will easily attach....you'll have to change these to loop end type connectors or, find the post adapters.

Dimensions:

6.656" L
6.920" W
4.957" T
The Hawker and needed adapters have reportedly been available from Batteries plus. There are other similar types of light weight and general fit for size but all require terminal modifications.

AFAIK a 51R (whatever brand) or the GS NS40Z(S) are the only two drop-in's.

HTH! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts