Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to replace my IMA battery and have been hearing differing opinions on whether to get a Honda battery (all of which are refurb) or a Bumblebee battery (new cells). Curious what people's experiences have been?

~Deana
2002 Red Insight

·
Registered
517 Posts
My Bumblebee is about 16 months old. So far so good. And I've been very favorably impressed by support from the maker, who goes by "Eli" on this message board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,354 Posts
+1. Bumblebee, hands down.

Sam

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Got a maxima (now called beemax) in my HCH1. My G1 is still stumbling along (freeeeequent grid charges) on a Honda battery for now.

Wouldn't buy a Honda replacement.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
+3, Bumblebee.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Yea just go buy a bumblebee battery.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I'm about to replace my IMA battery and have been hearing differing opinions on whether to get a Honda battery (all of which are refurb) or a Bumblebee battery (new cells).
Where do you get that Honda batteries don't use new cells? The latest Insights are at least 12 years old and the idea that the best cells in 12 year old packs could be assembled into a salable pack with 3 year warranty is pretty much impossible. Even the places that refurb packs only give a 90 day warranty.

·
Premium Member
2005 G1 NFR 5spd
349 Posts
+1. What tryingbe said; I prefer no IMA battery and take my car "off road".

However, driving is less involved since there would be no IMA to manage. But G1 can be driven like a CRX Si to the 6,000 RPM redline.

·
Registered
7,725 Posts
The Bumblebee is able to rebalance itself (keeping all its cells charged at the same level).... It's just more advanced than the battery Honda started putting into the car back in 1999.
Neither of these claims is true.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I have Bumblebee sticks from 2012 sitting on my workbench. I have Honda sticks from 2005 sitting in my Insight. In my Forrest Gump voice, "And that's all I have to say about that."

·
Registered
62 Posts
I recently went through this exercise with my 2000. Went with bumblebee refurb / BeeLine. Great customer service and am pleased with the battery so far.

Are you using the stock battery still? As you might know, reconditioning your battery is an option (though I am on my 3rd battery and the 2nd battery [not Honda not Bumblebee] did not take well to the grid charger so I bought a grid charger and not long after, an entirely different battery).

·
Registered
7,725 Posts
I recently went through this exercise with my 2000. Went with bumblebee refurb / BeeMax....
Isn't the refubed unit called "Bee-Line," rather than "Bee-Max"? I think beemax is the new pack...

edit - Just checked the website - BeeMax is new, BeeLine is refurb. Also, someone mentioned earlier that refubed packs don't come with good warranties, but Bumblebee's site says their refurb pack has a 3 year warranty... [Later: it's only 1 year warranty, see a couple posts down.]

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
edit - Just checked the website - BeeMax is new, BeeLine is refurb. Also, someone mentioned earlier that refubed packs don't come with good warranties, but Bumblebee's site says their refurb pack has a 3 year warranty...
Nobody not even Honda sells these new, they are all rebuilt, refurbished, restored, remanufactured, etc. The terms seem to vary by company. Everybody uses an existing battery pack and either replaces the sticks with new or reconditioned ones. That's why there is a core charge. The ones with new sticks get the 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Nobody not even Honda sells these new,

Have you found a positive link as to what the batteries are (new, NOS or pulled from core packs etc)?

they are all rebuilt, refurbished, restored, remanufactured, etc.
More than likely Honda needs the core of the battery for the hardware to put NOS sticks into.

The 7 year time for auto manufactures to have spare parts ran out on the 2006 Insights 4 years ago. It's been found that the Insight IMA battery isn't damaged by long term storage.

My Honda "new" replacement battery will be 5 years old in Jan 2018. It came with a 3 year warranty because I had to pay $23.80 for it. (Cheap at double the price.) :p

·
Registered
7,725 Posts
Nobody not even Honda sells these new, they are all rebuilt, refurbished, restored, remanufactured, etc. The terms seem to vary by company. Everybody uses an existing battery pack and either replaces the sticks with new or reconditioned ones. That's why there is a core charge. The ones with new sticks get the 3 year warranty.
Strictly speaking, yeah, they're all rebuilt/remanufactured because they use old cases and circuit boards. But the important difference is new cells vs. old cells, and that's what I was talking about when I said BeeLine=refurb, BeeMax=new. But you're right that the BeeLine doesn't have a 3 year warranty; I went back to the website to verify and there's a warranty described at the bottom of the page - but it's for the BeeMax not the BeeLine. Below the price and shipping for the BeeLine it says 1-year warranty...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts