Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have read the IMA problem on this forum where the battery level dropped to almost empty all of sudden.
I have the battery replaced under warranty and works fine for the first 10 months but the problem seems to come back

The honda service asked me to leave the car with them for few weeks to diagnose the issue as they do not seems to be familiar with the issues.

I am not sure if this is normal behaviour in insight, anyone know if this could be fixed or there is no remedy?

If this could not be fixed I would not leave the car for few weeks with them without any results.

Your advice is very much appreciated!

JAC
2001 insight - 85000km
Melbourne - Australia

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
It is normal behavior, as long as it doesn't happen too often. How much is too often is the subject of much debate!

The phenomenon is commonly called a recalibration, or short recal of the State-of-Charge (SoC) gauge. Seach for those keywords here and you'll get more reading material than you ever wanted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply Armin,

As we do not have many insight in Australia, Honda Australia told me that this is not normal, that is why I posted my issue to this forum and everyone here seem to have more experience with insight
Thank you for the Key words as well, I would spend sometime to read them.

The recalibration happens normally every 2 weeks sometime I do not get any until 5 weeks (the longest) and most of the time every 2 weeks. Does this sound still normal to you?
I am just worried that this would kill the battery.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
JAC

Your rate of recalibrations seems similar to mine. I'm not sure what is "normal". As Armin says the rate of recals seems to vary enormously from one car to another.

Which Honda dealer do you take your Insight to? I go to Courtney & Patterson in Heidelberg. They seem ok but I haven't had anything really serious yet. Remember, IC is your friend and source of much useful information. I expect it is likely I will have (to some degree) educate C & P with information from IC when I have any serious issue (especially the IMA) with my Insight. On the other hand, there are a few Civic hybrids about so it should not be a complete mystery to them..... I'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ghillie,
If this appears to be normal to all insight I would not bother to leave this to dealer to go for test drive for few days as they said they really want to see them. I have sent them some movie captured from mobile phone when recalibrations of battery. If they cannot experience it, they may hook up some kind of device to record the condition of the insight when this happening but they are not sure if their device can be hooked up to insight.

I service the insight at Garry Warren, they seem to have experience with other insight but this calibration issue seems to be new to them and they rate this as a problem.

I even spoke to their honda south eastern service manager from honda head office in Tullamarine who seems to be surprise with the issue as he never heard any problem with other insights in Australia (only 45 insights as you said on other topic)
I might refer them to check with your service centre as they do not seem to believe what I told them.

I am interested to know about these civic hybrids if they have the same problems and uncover the mystery.
We may have a lot to talk about our Australian insight, I am glad that there is someone understand about insight in this country :)

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
One thing allot of people forget is that.... The Dash Display is more like a available estimated SoC... it is NOT the SoC of the battery....

When the SoC drops quickly, the Battery is not loosing its SoC, the car is retesting it and recalibrating its measurements.... maybe even doing a bit of forced balancing at lower current... but the Dash Battery Gauge is not your IMA Batteries SoC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts