Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been several posts about IMA battery replacements as well as posts that seem to indicate that the CVT Insight manages SOC more efficiently than the 5 speed Insight. Does anyone know if more packs have been relpaced in the 5 speeds as compared to the CVT models?
_______
Bill

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had the chance to ride in a 5spd from a fellow Insight owner in the city where I live. From what I see, the CVT Insight just doesn't use the IMA system as much as the 5spd Insights do. I for one rarely get max assist from the electric engine unless I floor it. If I recall correctly, with 5spd Insights you generally get full electric assist just with normal acceleration. Also, the CVTs seem to charge a lot more agressively due to what I guess is how the IMA system works with the tranny. I have yet too hear from anyone that has had a SOC recal happen on CVT models or replace a battery due to it.

Interestingly enough, on my Civic Hybrid CVT, the SOC meter tends to vary a lot more. I usually see that SOC meter jumping around a lot on the HCH whereas the Insight rarely drops below 75%. No recals on the HCH yet. *knocks on wood...*

Would be nice if Honda would release an update that'll retune the CVT IMA system to use more of the electric assist.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Taller gearing

I'd just love for them to use a bit taller gearing at lightest throttle and 50MPH. Cruising around at 3,000 RPM just feels like a waste.

And yeah, the CVT is much easier on the charge/discharge cycling stuff than the manuals I've driven. I think part of it is driving style, too. But running at higher RPMs all the time seems to keep the battery fairly well topped-off.

But I'm one of those goofy people who's morning and evening commutes are both with the lights on for six or eight months out of the year, so what do I know? :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
William said:
There have been several posts about IMA battery replacements as well as posts that seem to indicate that the CVT Insight manages SOC more efficiently than the 5 speed Insight. Does anyone know if more packs have been relpaced in the 5 speeds as compared to the CVT models?
_______
Bill
With the likely hood of a very small quantity of IMA packs replaced for an IMA pack failure code the statistics wouldn't mean much either way. I doubt Honda will publish such information.

However, I believe you are nibbling at the bait in regard to the CVT having an additional dimension of IMA pack "control" vs. a 5 spd. But with a conservative driving style which the Insight is designed for I would believe that the difference would almost be zero.

In regard to the other replies, if your driving a 5 spd. get ready for your first recal. It's a _normal_ function of the IMA system and does not in itself indicate a problem of any type.
CVT Insights don't see their "recals" because the transmission simply slightly "downshifts" when increased charging is required. Thus making the recal transparent. And the software is apparently also programmed not to show it on the IMA gauge.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thus making the recal transparent. And the software is apparently also programmed not to show it on the IMA gauge.
:?: :?: :?:

Eh? If this was the case, wouldn't I uh... see my acceleration assist vanish on the transparent recal? Doesn't seem to be the case on my CVT.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Braxus said:
Thus making the recal transparent. And the software is apparently also programmed not to show it on the IMA gauge.
:?: :?: :?:

Eh? If this was the case, wouldn't I uh... see my acceleration assist vanish on the transparent recal? Doesn't seem to be the case on my CVT.
I think we're tripping over precise terminology. :) Loss of assist indication is only 1/2 the event. :)

See my earlier post:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 3e17e1e648

A 5 spd. recal will occur almost spontaneously. IMA SOC starts at near full then rapidly without assist falls to near empty causing a forced charge to respond, with all the loss of power, economy and performance that you would imagine.
I have read several reports of 2000 model CVT owners that such an event has never happened to them.

HTH ! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts