Honda Insight Forum banner

IMA battery makes Jaws of Life useless?

4115 Views 26 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  james
Hey there. I'm 18 and lisenceless (hopefully not for too much longer though, *sigh*) but I've grown really interested in these Insights. My dad said something to me the other day, that the IMA battery has been electrocuting workers as they attempt to use the Jaws of Life to extract people from gas/electric cars.

I took what he said with a grain of salt, and this doesn't make much sense to me. I'm pretty sure he was just using his own judgement on this, and didn't actually read anything viable about it. He's a fanatic conservative and probably feels that hybrids are a threat to the gas industry. :roll:

Thanks.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
I think it is kind of funny how the hybrids seem to be singled out with respect to "dangerous" battery systems and problems for first responders. I read an article several months ago (sorry, don't remember the source) but it basically said that ALL new cars are becoming more dangerous for the response crews. The reason...mainly... more air bags and "smart" airbag systems that may not deploy all the airbags in a crash. As the crews start to cut through the car, they never know if there is a side curtain air bag, door air bag, undeployed front air bags, etc. You just about need a schematic for each car on the road! Maybe they could just start putting "Cut here" lines on the cars...maybe use ultraviolet ink or something...you'd never see it until the emergency guys put on special glasses or shined a black light at the car.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.