Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my 02 Insight to the dealer after the IMA and check engine lights came on and the assist completely stopped working. Only previous sign of a problem was the IMA light came on 2 weeks ago for a day, then went off. After a $95 diagnostic fee, I was told the battery needed replacement, with a cost of $2600. I was sure the warranty on the IMA system was 10 years, meaning I would be covered but the dealer argued that the original warranty was 8yrs/ 80k. After some persistence, they 'found' the warranty extension (to 10yrs/150k), but insisted it only covered the BCM & MCM modules, not the battery itself. Three days and a dozen phone calls later, here is what I discovered.

The warranty was extended on 00-04 models (maybe others, I don't know) to cover the IMA battery AND modules for 10 years/150k miles. There is some confusion about states with higher emissions (CA, NY) having different rules, but this applies to ALL states.

There are at least 2 TSB's referencing this extension:
06-026 BCM & MCM modules
06-057 Battery

Once I got these numbers and pushed the dealer they finally admitted it was covered and apologized for their "misinterpretation" of the warranty. Repair is scheduled for Friday :)

I couldn't get a copy of either bulletin from Honda or google- not sure why all the secrecy. The consumer letter (I tried to attach?) references only 06-026, but explicitly states that as a result of the possible failure of the modules, the battery itself is also covered under the extension. I was given bad information by service people at 2 dealers AND American Honda customer service before tracking down the correct documents.

I don't know if this is intentional witholding on either the dealer or Honda's part, but it seems to me Honda should honor the warranty and not make the customer responsible for tracking down information and fighting for covered repairs. Anyway, just wondered how many others have unknowingly paid for IMA problems.

Hope this helps someone else avoid the headache I went through.

·
7,141 Posts
Glad you got it worked out.

Dealerships are clueless and nearly worthless, as you've found out. They don't know about nor care about our little cars.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think you will find the cars with the extended warranty go out to 157,500 miles. It had to do with claims the odometers were inaccurate, and therefore, there was a 5% "fudge" factor added to the mileage to take that into account.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you will find the cars with the extended warranty go out to 157,500 miles. It had to do with claims the odometers were inaccurate, and therefore, there was a 5% "fudge" factor added to the mileage to take that into account.
Regards,
Jerry
Do you know where this info is written? Dealer and HOA tell me that at 154,000 my Warranty is done for $6,000 repair for Battery and both controllers. Dealer claims he has never seem all three fail but insists ALL 3 are bad on my 2001.
HOA says no computer info on my complaints for the last 3 years, and they do not care what is written on the invoice, in the computer is all they will use.

Honda #5 and with this help and product support my last.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,458 Posts
It's here at ICN somewhere. Maybe a "sticky"..
I'm sure someone will find it for you.
Be patient.
"Extended Warranty"?
Willie
Have the dealer check the SB's after 06-057
It was after a class action law suit.(Ref. speedo innacurate mileage)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't think their ignorance is limited to the Gen1 Insight as I can't believe what I went through with my Gen1 HCH recently. I just wanted to know if my car had had the update to cure the P1420 since I just received a letter from Honda saying a cure was available. The TSB # was 11-043, but was not referenced in the letter. Stunning what hoops I had to go through even with the #. I won't bother with the details, but I suspect it is the same with all their products--by design they don't have data easily referenced. Probably it is just their experience that leads them to the occasional correct solution and they obviously have little experience with the Insight.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
A 5% extension was added to 2002-2006 vehicles (starting with April '02). This is on top of the 80,000->150,000 extension for 2000-2004 Insights. This means that a late 2002 through 2004 Insight have 157,500 miles and 2005-2006 Insights plus 2003-2005 Civic Hybrids have 84,000 miles.

You have a 2001. It only has 150,000. The dealer is incorrect about the computers. Honda specifies that they be changed if the battery is changed, but they don't need to be because there is nothing wrong with them other than not being the latest versions.

We sell our BetterBattery which is a replacement battery module for $2000 and you don't need to change computers.

Do you know where this info is written? Dealer and HOA tell me that at 154,000 my Warranty is done for $6,000 repair for Battery and both controllers. Dealer claims he has never seem all three fail but insists ALL 3 are bad on my 2001.
HOA says no computer info on my complaints for the last 3 years, and they do not care what is written on the invoice, in the computer is all they will use.

Honda #5 and with this help and product support my last.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts