Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving a 2002 Insight, and my original IMA battery died about three years ago; Honda replaced it the next day at no cost.

Last week, it started to die again: my IMA light came on, and the car started to stall. Honda says that the new battery's not under warranty (since I'm past the 8/80k warranty) and that they need to 'negotiate' with Honda USA about what they'll cover for the replacement.

So:
1) Any idea what I might be looking at cost wise here? Was the price of new IMA batteries cut?
2) Why isn't the replacement free? I've only had this new one for three years -- doesn't it have its own warranty?

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Unless Honda heavily discounts the battery, get a better-than-OEM MaxIMA battery from Eli at Hybrid Battery Repair & Replacement

Sooo much better than the OEM battery! (and much much cheaper too)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,458 Posts
Numerous pics and how to here at ICN. Search is the best soution unless someone wants to post a link.

Willie

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
As usual, Honda has given you incorrect information about the warranty on your battery pack. The warranty was extended to 10 years/150,000 miles. If your car has been driven less than 150,000 miles (possibly 157,500 miles due to a class action lawsuit settlement), you need to find out its in-service date (i.e., when it was originally sold). If it's less than 10 years ago, Honda owes you a new battery pack.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As usual, Honda has given you incorrect information about the warranty on your battery pack. The warranty was extended to 10 years/150,000 miles. If your car has been driven less than 150,000 miles (possibly 157,500 miles due to a class action lawsuit settlement), you need to find out its in-service date (i.e., when it was originally sold). If it's less than 10 years ago, Honda owes you a new battery pack.
It's only been driven 82,000 miles. How would I find out when it was originally sold? Would that be on the title?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Numerous pics and how to here at ICN. Search is the best soution unless someone wants to post a link.
I searched quite a bit, but so far haven't found any DIY how-to threads. If I need to I'll keep looking, but if I end up going with the MaxIMA, I doubt I'd end up doing it myself. Would a Honda dealership install the MaxIMA if I had it shipped to them? Hoping this'll be moot -- since I think they should cover the cost anyway -- but just in case...

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,458 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Willie, that's super helpful. Especially to know that it's likely out of my skill range.

My confusion was that I saw two prices for the MaxIMA -- the DIY kit and the normal price. I'm assuming a non-Honda-affiliated shop could install it for me.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
You do not want the DIY kit. That is raw sticks, you will have to not only remove the battery pack, but tear it down and replace the individual sticks yourself. A hard core enthusiast option - plus you lose the warranty that way.

Go for the assembled battery, the small increase in price is very worth it.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,458 Posts
You want the normal price. Yes they can, but I wouldn't trust them unless you post the directions as indicated above. but it is really easy.

Willie

·
7,141 Posts
I've had two customers lately who had dealerships install the batteries. It really depends on the dealership, and probably how you pose the question. "I bought a battery, how much for installation?" is how the conversation should go. Remember it looks the same to them from the outside. ;)

They will probably be among the most expensive options, though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you need to find out its in-service date (i.e., when it was originally sold). If it's less than 10 years ago, Honda owes you a new battery pack.
Looks like its in-service date was 3/5/02. So, that said, I don't think Honda would give me a free replacement -- even though the free replacement they gave me three years ago died already. And the dealership doesn't think the replacement batteries have any kind of warranty on them. Waiting on their call after they "negotiate" with Honda.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Thanks, Willie, that's super helpful. Especially to know that it's likely out of my skill range.
Removing and installing a battery is not hard. Here is a video of the replacement on a Civic.

An Insight takes longer (more bolts) but it isn't harder. More than 200 people have successfully used my instructions to remove and install batteries. You CAN do it. You may need a second person to help lift, but that is all.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Insight battery harness install video shows the whole procedure for pulling and replacing the Insight pack, along with installing a charger harness if you want to try and salvage the pack you have.With a grid charger:
http://99mpg.com/Projectcars/gridcharger/

Insight pack removal video.

Been hearing from a lot of people that have had Honda replacement packs installed in the last 2-3 years that did not hold up very well, and it opinion is that they are using old sticks from returned packs, rather than new sticks like Eli's MaxIMA batteries, which seem to be a good replacement.

Good luck and Happy holidays

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As a quick update, Honda's offering to split the costs 50/50 with me on a new battery.

So my cost would be $1271.

I'm considering my options.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You need to check if it is really a new pack. I didn't think Honda had any truly NEW packs left. I though they were all refurbished batteries. Which poses the question. Are they new sticks in the batteries or just replace the bad sticks.

I know referbished from the companies that do outside of honda use old sticks that are good and matched to each other by capacity.

I would really go with the new sticks from ELI. They are higher capacity. Pulling the battery is easy and really requires you only to be able to unscrew bolts and unplug plugs. There is nothing technical about it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You need to check if it is really a new pack.
How should I do that after the fact?

Pulling the battery is easy and really requires you only to be able to unscrew bolts and unplug plugs. There is nothing technical about it.
Having watched the videos provided here on how to remove and install the new battery, it may be that from the perspective of someone who's done this sort of work before that replacing a battery is quite simple, but to say that a project estimated to take about three hours that involves this level of careful detail has "nothing technical about it"...well, to a newbie like me, this is pretty involved, technical work, sorry.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would ask them straight up if it is a brand new battery or a refurb. They can lie sure but if they print it out as brand new and it is not they are opening up for a huge libilty.

As for pulling the battery. I only takes a couple of hours due to the amount you have to remove. It isn't like a jigsaw puzzle just follow the steps.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,458 Posts
Ask what the warranty is on the battery. It will probably be 12/12.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts