Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! The time has come in my 2010 Insight to replace the IMA battery. I can get into why but I've already spoke to the folks at Bumblebee and determined my battery is a goner. Anyway in terms of replacing it myself I cannot find a how to on youtube or anywhere else for that matter. There are several how to videos on the G1 IMA replacement and it looks easy enough. I'm assuming the G2 Insights are roughly the same but wanted to make sure that's the case before I go tearing into the trunk! Am I going to run into any surprises?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Please spill all beans. Having such information is what a place like this is about. Everyone’s posts should at least start with the model year (you got that covered) the current miles, and often the trim level. Where one is can also help, as there may be someone close by with some experience willing to help.
This is especially true considering how few 2nd gen IMA packs have been reported as failures around here.

I don’t have any help to offer in terms of replacement how to, but I would imagine Bumble Bee would.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
So what happened? That’s pretty early for failure. It will help us to know what to
look for and what to avoid.
Did you buy the Insight new? Used? How many miles were on it when you got it?
Did it ever have the software updates?
Thanks in advance for typing up your experience. It will really help us all. Many of us are getting on in years and miles now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I'm getting ready to move across country and working a lot over the next few weeks. I will give you all a good write up though as soon as I can though :)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Don’t forget to tell us why you think you need a new IMA battery pack. Because I have my doubts. If your Insight has never had the software updates and/ or sat around unused for awhile, it may throw codes for a failing IMA when it isn’t.
In fact Bumble Bee, as much as we like them (forum sponsors!) have been wrong about this in the past. So I hope you don’t just make a couple of posts and never come back. A conversation is desirable. If you really do need the pack, we really need to know why.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, I haven't forgot about you guys and will update when this is all said and done, I promise! As for now I have towed my Insight across the country, moved into a new home, started a new job and have subsequently been travelling a good bit for that. I have a replacement IMA battery but am battling my insurance company over who should pay for it. Once everything is settled I will fill in all the details and hopefully provide some good info!

Thanks for your help and patience!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
So the replacement necessity is the result of an accident?
You should know that in another case reported here that it ended up that the
IMA pack was fine, but the electronics controlling it were damaged. I will see if I can find that old thread and post a link to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I believe so. I was rear ended about 3 months prior to having any IMA issues.The rear was caved in and the both rear windshields were shattered. The car was hauled off by a tow service and I have no idea what conditions the car was stored until it got into a shop. Last weekend I pulled the old IMA battery out and in doing so found about 3 inches of rusty water soaking the bottom of the battery. I called my insurance company and they are sending an adjuster out this week. In the meantime I can't touch a thing. Electronics are likely also damaged as some of those were wet as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reading through the thread, to answer a couple of earlier questions. I bought the car in 2016 with roughly 110k so it's seen about 20k/year with me. I did have the software updates done through Honda within the first couple months of owning the car. The tech at Honda said he has seen the IMA battery go as early as 100k but typically you should get over 200k with them.

·
Super Moderator
4,694 Posts
This guy is probably thinking about Civics, not G2 Insights. G2 IMAs are generally stable.

I hate to say this, but prepare yourself mentally for the car being totalled. Insurance companies don't like to mess with unknowns like IMA systems. If so, consider buying it back and fixing it yourself with used parts.

Sam

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Thanks for filling us in. I never did find the particular thread I was thinking about, but did see one referencing an Insight that sat in the rain after a rear end accident. Sounds like yours did as well. You would think a body shop would have the sense to throw a tarp over any hatchback with a broken rear window, hybrid or not! You now have what amounts to a flood vehicle. I agree with Rainsux, they will probably total it. A shame because you now have an IMA pack you paid for and can’t use. It should probably not sit around unused. If they total it, perhaps you can find another that needs a pack.
But really, you should contact Bumblebee and ask their advise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check your local warranty coverage. Do not rely on dealer. I live in Oregon where they retroactively signed on to the California standard. The stator and battery are now covered to 10 years. I know it is a long shot with CO being a red state but you never know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
4 Participants
n750il
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing