Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Insight IMA battery is acting funny after my 2nd oil change. It now has 16500 mi. When driving uphill, even slightly, the battery starts to assist and then dis-engage completely for a re-charge. Looks as if it is resetting itself. Battery indicator indicates only 2 bars left after the "reset" but all of a sudden went back up to full bar after a few minutes. What's annoying is that it happens EVERYTIME when the car moves up on to a slope. And that's when the car needs power most! I take the same route everyday and the battery does it everytime at the same location along with other slopes I occasionally drive through. Is it a battery problem? Anyone else has the same problem? Aside from that, I'm starting to get tired of this car. I feel that I need to constantly monitor its behavior.
Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

·
7,223 Posts
We call it a negative recalibration in the 1st gen Insight community, and it signifies battery imbalance.

How long is the battery warranty in the 2nd generation Insight? Wonder what the trigger thresholds for the IMA light are...

Do you drive the car every single day since you've bought it? Has it ever sat for more than a couple of weeks?

I wonder if it's possible to do a clutch-switch like mod on the 2nd generation? Is it possible to avoid the use of assist?

Don't blame Honda though, it's possible you just got a bad battery. I think the 2nd gen's cells are made by Sanyo. You can blame Honda all you want if they won't fix it however. They likely won't do anything until the IMA light comes on though, but definitely tell them about it and have them document it.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
Please put your location in the "details" of your profile so we can understand the terrain you are driving at. Sounds like you aren't geting the iMA battery fully charged thru "regen." Terrain would be the culprit. You are probably using mostly assist in your driving. (Heavy throttle under low RPM use)
HTH
Willie

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
All 2nd gen are CVT, not sure you can do a clutch mod since there isn't one? As for warranty went to Honda site and this is what it said under the Insight:

Honda Limited Warranty Information 3-Year/36,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
5-Year/60,000-Mile Limited Powertrain Warranty. Ordinary maintenance or adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and replacement, and certain items are excluded.
Accessory Limited Warranty—All Honda Genuine Accessories are covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles when installed at the time of new vehicle purchase.
Replacement Parts Limited Warranty—Honda Genuine Parts are covered for 1 year. The warranty coverage for replacement parts purchased from and installed by a Honda dealer includes parts replacement and labor.
5-Year/Unlimited-Mile Corrosion Limited Warranty.
Battery-pack limited warranty may vary.
Please see your Honda dealer for details.

Looks like they aren't willing to post it on the site?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thz for all your replies so far. I drive it everyday since I bought it. I'm a very gentle driver and monitors closely how the car behaves all the time. Los Angeles is not hilly but it does have some steady slopes here and there. Just a slight one can trigger this to happen. I guess I should just take it in for some diagnosis? thanks.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
Remember........The assist is mainly triggered by the "load" on the engine.
What kind of rpm are you mostly driving at?
HTH
Willie
If you can, hook up a "vacuum" gauge and see where the IMA kicks in. Around 4" maybe?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1.5 - 2K rpm mostly due to my mostly city driving. When hitting slopes, it will go pass 2K slightly. May be city driving takes a toll on the assist?

·
7,223 Posts
He doesn't have much control over all of that being a CVT. But yes, that was my point.. I wonder if there's a way to disable assist with the CVT.

At any rate, the negative recalibration followed a few minutes later by a positive recalibration is classic battery imbalance. Shouldn't be happening at only 16k miles.

I would take it in for a diagnostic, mostly to note the problem. They're just going to tell you that it's normal behavior unless there is a DTC set, which there won't be. You'll likely have about as much luck with dealerships as us first gen Insighters do. They're completely clueless and worthless.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
So I went to the Honda dealer today and asked about the G2 Insight battery warranty, he said that in all of the states except AZ it is 10yr/100K, if you live in AZ they reduced it down to 8yr/100K. So I'm guessing Honda is admitting that the battery can't handle heat very well and they are not willing to back it up like in the rest of the states? More then likely you would hit 100K way before you hit even 8 years anyways so I don't really thing the 10 year really buys you anything on this one.

I even test drove a used 2010 Insight they had on the lot with 23,000 miles on it, did 4 miles on Freeway at 65 and then 4 miles back at 45, was able to average 49 MPG pretty easily. After driving my G1 it was a pretty nice but the engine did buzz pretty good when getting on the freeway but it was nice and smooth at speed on both freeway and city street.

·
Registered
649 Posts
yeap i get less mpg on the hot weather

my car also goes into regn on some hills, not all
got used to it
i just press more on the pedal...sometimes gas it when it gets annoying

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
That seems "normal" for the i2. Myself and a few others have found that the lack of assist is the signs of a dead 12 volt battery. The i2 has the programming or mindset that if you are going to drive inefficiently, it will use the extra power for recharging.

If this is causing a problem driving you can try turning off econ mode and or try sport mode til you get to the top.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
245 Posts
Do I understand the OP right, in that the battery depletes uphill to a point where the car decides to not use the assist and starts charging it? I don't know what a "resets" means in the post... However, if it is doing what I just described, be assured that mine seems to be doing it too in the same hills. Very short ones for that matter, so the battery is low capacity and the battery management seems rather unsophisticated, if I can put it mildly...

Mine is a 2011 and seems to have been doing it since new pretty much. Unless you have not had this issue before, I think it is just howothe poor thing behaves uphill...

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
You know, with a phev kit you will see that behavior maybe once a year. :)

Id still see if you can get an auto store to test your 12 volt battery. When mines went I got almost no assist and it was constantly regening.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

Thanks for all the replies. Something interesting happened couple weeks ago. I was out of town for 5 days and left my car at the airport. When I got back to pick up the car, both 12V and assist battery were completely ....dead! No response! Just like a car sitting in a dealer show room. I was really worried by then.

I had to jump start for two times to get it started. Ironically, I was relieved to find that I had just left a light on. So that was an error on my part, not the battery draining itself. I still planned to take it to the dealer to check on the battery reset situation though.

Upon jump starting, I found that the assist battery was completely empty and needed to charge from the ground up. Since I live quite far anyway I just keep on driving letting all batteries to charge up, approximately an hour drive.

But guess what! The battery had since stopped re-setting itself!!
Since that day, I had been testing and testing the car by driving uphill and downhill and it has been two weeks now with no problem.

Does that mean that a complete discharge of the battery will help the negative recalibration problem? :) I must say that I'm VERY relieved now that the car is doing fine.. fingers crossed!!

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Basically the system guestimates the charge on the counting of amp in and amps out. Having said that it also looks at voltage too to get an idea if the pack is too full or too empty.

When you reset the system by removing the negative ground cable or having a dead battery it looses count and charges til it reads a full voltage.

What I use to do time to time was a force recharge when I had heavy driving to do. I would sit in park rev engine to 3 grand and wait til the display shows its full. I would even do this in heavy traffic

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch

app

1 - 15 of 15 Posts