Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:? Is $3000 a fair price for a new battery, un-installed? This is via the Internet from a local Honda dealer. Another dealer is offering to supply and install a new battery for $3660. // This is for a 2000 Insight with 162K miles. The storage capacity of the original battery has been diminishing over the past two years, and now is almost nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Do you have an IMA warning light? Does your Insight have a salvage title / or was written off in the past etc? If yes and no respectively, it may be worth approaching a Honda dealership and asking them to contact Honda USA. There have been some examples on this forum of Honda USA agreeing to a goodwill replacement or 50/50 cost split etc beyond the warranty expiry (10yr / 150,000mile in the USA). Assuming you are in the USA, it might be worth a try to save $$$.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
Another good reason to put in your profile where you are located. Maybe someone close could help.

Is the battery NEW or remanufactured. To my knowledge the batterys that were replaced under warranty were refurbished!

(Logic)
The replacement battery is not covered on the "extended warranty".

Willie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The title does not contain the word SALVAGE. It looks to be a standard automobile title. The Insight was bought new from a Honda dealer in Philadelphia (USA).

At about 120K miles, when the battery first showed significant capacity loss, I took the Insight to the Philadelphia dealer for IMA evaluation. The Honda Corp. technician found no problems with the IMA system. Now at 162K miles, the battery capacity has deteriorated to 'about dead'. This is well beyond any warranty period.

The IMA trouble light was on for about a week, but currently it is off.

The idea that Honda might offer some discount on the replacement cost of the battery is interesting. The local dealer made no such suggestion when I asked the price for replacing the battery ($3,660). This dealer was most clear that they first want $90 to do a diagnostic check. It seems most obvious that the battery is about dead, and thus useless to spend the $90.

Via the Internet, a near-local Honda dealer will sell me a 'new' battery, uninstalled, for $3,000.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
240 Posts
DCS said:
Via the Internet, a near-local Honda dealer will sell me a 'new' battery, uninstalled, for $3,000.

Suggestions would be appreciated.
Did you check Majestic Honda's website? (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com) It's likely to be a lot cheaper there, and they are very reliable (I've used them multiple times in the past). Get advice from others here or do some digging around to make sure you're getting the right part!

HTH,
-fly

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Something I was wondering. Would it be possible to replace the battery pack with a capacitor bank of equal voltage, but less capacity? A workaround would have to be determined for the wiring. But essentially you could still have DC to DC conversion to keep the 12v battery charged, and still have limited assist / regen. I would think this could be cheaper than replacing a battery pack.

Just an idea (possibly far fetched).

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The original prototype of the Insight was done with capacitors not batteries. That said it would be a massive engineering project to replace the cells with caps. Electricity is stored in a cap as electrons. Electricity is not stored in a battery but generated on demand by chemical action. The output voltage of a battery remains relatively constant during discharge whereas the voltage on the capacitors decreases as they are drained. Electronic switching circuitry is required to compensate. If I was trying to do this cheaply I would consider trying to adapt a portion of a Prius pack or trying to combine the best cells from two used packs, or trying to find a still serviceable pack from an accidented Insight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honda loves us, but it seems that some dealers do not want to service hybrids. We recently moved from Philadelphia, and here the local Honda dealer wanted me to put up $3660 for the new battery before he would order it. The dealer in Philadelphia that sold me the car was anxious to help, so we drove back to Philly. He got Honda to give me an 80% discount on replacing the battery. It is a 2000 Insight, now at 163,000 miles and 63.4 MPH lifetime average. Driving with a new battery is great. :)

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Glad to see that Honda USA came through for you and got a good result.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts