Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the IMA and Charging System lights come on. I replaced my 12 volt battery with a new battery. I also notice my battery is not charging anymore. I tried to take it to auto to get codes, but the guy couldn’t get one because check engine light wasn’t on. From what I am seeing on the threads I might have to get a new cell battery. Also I am at 108,000 miles. Am I better off buying a new car ?

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
Not knowing your financial situation, the choice is yours.
A new battery is a lot cheaper than car payments.
Good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wait, I thought I read somewhere that batteries don't fail completely. When there is an issue with battery, it is usually a single cell and replacing a single cell is very affordable. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am still doing research and found out you can replace the cells. Wondering now if anyone has had luck doing replace a cell or 2 ?

·
Administrator
10,796 Posts
Identifying and replacing individual bad cells or weak sticks is not a trivial or easy task unless they have failed dramatically.

Disassembling the battery to replace them requires skills and safe working practices etc.

Finding matching used replacement sticks for bad ones to match your other good ones is also not easy.

If you don't have skills or a lots of time available i suggest buy a new set of sticks from a reputable vendor or buy a new battery from Honda.

Buying a new car that's up to you. Yours will obviously be worth very little with a bad IMA battery.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I think you should drive it. There may be nothing wrong besides a having a bad underhood 12 volt battery. By the way, what year is it?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Even if you replace a couple of cells, the others are probably on the way out too. Mixing a pack of new and old cells does not seem like a good idea. Replacing old for old from another pack will keep you busy in the coming years.
A new trusted pack seems your best option. The car will feel rejuvenated and all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am at point now where I cut off the hybrid battery. I can’t restart my car unless I wait a while. Any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
What do you mean by "where I cut off the hybrid battery".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m sorry I mean the ima system. I flipped the switch on that. My car Will not turn back on if I need to turn it off and turn it back on with in a few minutes. I have to wait a long period of time.

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
Dude:
Please include your Location in your profile. Need more info on the vehicle. Miles, model, CEL, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m in Texas, USA. 2010 Honda Insight EX,110,000 miles. As far as I’m aware It has all oringal parts. I just checked the fuses on the battery connection and the ima fuses and they are all good.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
So you do still have IMA lights on? You turned off the IMA battery? Why? The Insight does not have an alternator, the IMA system charges the 12 volt battery under the hood. Most of the time, the IMA starts the engine with the electric motor attached to the engine. You cannot operate a Honda hybrid without the IMA system. It is very rare for the IMA battery pack to be bad at your miles. You need to turn the IMA back on, make sure your 12 volt battery is charged and actually good (brand new batteries can be bad) You must load test that battery, not just measure how many volts it has when charged completely. You need to reset everything, drive around a lot, and see if the IMA light goes out. If it doesn't, you need to take it to a real Honda dealer as only they can read the IMA codes.
A more common issue with the IMA system is the cooling fan in back that cools the battery pack. Those go bad or the circuit that turns it on is bad. Or the vents to the outside are blocked.
Once at a real Honda dealer, make sure all the software updates are done. One of them specifically addressed IMA issues. There was a service bulletin on the software update and it should be done for free. There were others that affected how the CVT trans work, how the assist behaves on hills, and how the auto stop works. If you can beg them (or pay them) to install all updates, it is worth it.

Also, if, while driving around with the issues you are having and don't want the engine to auto stop at stop signs and signals, you can shift to S or turn off the ECO button. That is something you can do just to keep the A/C running. (re: Texas)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After I turned the ima battery off I still have ima light still on. The whole reason I turned ima battery off is because it won’t charge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts