Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing some guidance on what could be wrong as I have been told a multitude of issues. My daughter left her lights on and her battery died. I tried to jump it off only to realize that I reversed the polarization and put the cables on incorrectly. The fuse on the battery terminal blew so we replaced the battery terminal. The car started again and had a full charge however the IMA check engine light came on. I have also lost power to my radio and dome light in the car. I took it to O'Reilley's Auto Parts and they attempted to put a scanner on it, but the scanner would not come on to complete a diagnostic test. They said that typically is a blown fuse somewhere that causes that to happen. So therefore, we have no way of knowing what is going on. We checked all fuses in the panel and all are good but when I put a tester on some, it doesn't light up, so I pulled those fuses and they are still good and also checked behind the fuse panel for any possible burnt wiring or harnesses. I am needing some guidance on this issue from someone who has experienced something similar to this issue. Also, keep in mind that the IMA/Check engine light was never on before this happened. So, I am beginning to think that accidentally reversing the jumper cables on the battery could've been the start to my problems. Thanks in advance for any help or advice that is given!!

·
7,181 Posts
This is a 1st gen Insight?

·
7,181 Posts
Wait.. this was originally in the 1st gen forum, right? Or am I losing my mind? Not that it matters, we would still help you.. :)

The OBDII port's fuse is often also for the radio or other in-cabin accessories. So, I suspect that if you find the culprit behind your radio and dome light not working, you will at least be able to pull your error codes if any, and we can go from there. You say you've already checked all the fuses, but you have likely either missed one, or there are some more hiding somewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, it was moved to the correct forum. We touched every fuse where the fuse panel is located inside the car with one of those tester light things and majority of them lit up and others didnt. But when we pulled those fuses that didn't, there wasn't anything wrong with them. If there are more fuses than that, then we aren't sure where to look. Is there anything else I need to check that would cause no power to the radio or dome light not working? The more and more I think about it, I believe when I put those jumper cables on backwards, it did something more than just blow a fuse on the battery terminal assembly.

·
7,181 Posts
It's unlikely that you damaged anything of significance by hooking up the terminals backwards, but not impossible.

Are anything other than your OBDII port, radio and cabin light not working?

I'm having trouble finding out which fuse those are. Looking at the fuse box labels, I think it's going to be 13, 14 or 29.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything else is working on the car except the IMA check engine light, radio and dome light. I checked all the fuses. I got a green light to the IMA's, aux, radio and dome light. There were a few that did not light up green however when I took them out, it did not appear to be a broken fuse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My apologies, the car door locks are not working as well. After speaking with my father in law, he seems to think there may be an issue between the fuse box and the battery. Just not sure where or where to even start.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
There is a fuse box under the hood. Folks who have made the mistake you did had to replace an expensive main fuse. I will do some searching...

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
So, I never found the main fuse thread I remembered, but there is this:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts